inquiring about adjusting powered assist

GoldenMotor.com

kipper

Dec 2, 2008
Philippines
Hello to everyone! This is my first post on this forum. Actually I just wanted to ask anyone about adjusting electric powered bike assist while pedaling.
Because powered bicycles in our country is very much not yet popular, I guess, no one here has the idea on how to work these things.
My cousin a few months sent me an electric powered bicycle from China. I was impressed with its performance. But of course, I cannot deny that because I am new to these things, I got pinch flats and having my rear wheel be punctured by thumb tax. Eventually I need the rear wheel's interior tube replace, where the local repair shop was very enthusiastic in trying to change my interior tube. Because I have no other place to ask for help, I let them do it even though I know that it is their first time to tinker this kind of bike.
Eventually they got the new tube in with many a hitting and pulling, forcefully trying to unhinge the rear wheel from the screws and whatever it makes it be attached to the bike. Anyways, they where successful in putting in the new interior tube of my rear wheel even though they put in 2 inches larger (orig 22 x 2.125), as the size is not found anywhere in my place (replaced with 24 x 2.125). I don't have any complaint about that as I still haven't any flat for a week now.
The problem started after that. The bike has became more sensitive to pedaling as just a simple pedal would initiate the electric motor to go by itself. But if I don't pedal the motor also does not go. I can still use the right hand throttle by itself, but of course, sometimes I wanted to pedal without any assist, for that is a bike for, right?
Can anybody help me to understand how I can adjust the sensitivity of the electric motor to my pedaling?
Thank you for at least reading my inquiry.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well, even though I don't know much about the type of bike you have, I would say there has to be a switch of some kind that activates the motor when you pedal, right?

I would find that switch and if you have a manual, find the proceedure for adjusting it.

If you don't have a manual, look at the switch and what makes it function. Maybe you can figure it out.

Can you post a picture or anything from the manual to help us help you?

Welcome to the forum.

kipper

Dec 2, 2008
Philippines
Thank you for the welcome remark.
Externally, there are switches but does not involve the sensitivity of the motor assist. I have checked all the "what I think looks like a" switch, and they have all their respective functions that I have already figured out what they are for (because most don't have any labels on them). As much as I wanted to post pictures, I am not able to include any images or links to my post because I am still informed that I am not an active member of the forum.
Still, thank you again for that suggestion.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Next suggestion...find a manual (service type) or some sort of info and see what you can do from there. Keep us posted.

You can post a photo if you click the "Reply" Gear at the bottom of the last post. From there, scroll down and you'll see where it says "manage attatchments" click on there and then you can load one up from your computer.

kipper

Dec 2, 2008
Philippines
Well, as mentioned earlier, the bicycle is not from anywhere near my place, so as much I want to look for a manual type of it, I don't think I can find anywhere near my place.
Again, I hope this image goes in, and if it does, thanks for the instruction. A sample picture that I saw while searching on this matter on the net:

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
If you can give the make and model might be able to find manual online for you. Could not see anything in the pic to give make and model.

:ride2:

kipper

Dec 2, 2008
Philippines
Sorry to inform you guys. But I myself am not very much good at looking at the make and model of it. While searching the net where I found that pic:
click to see
I noted some specs not much similar to what I was told of.
Some difference I noted that was mentioned to me (which I am not sure of also) probable were 36 or 48 volts battery output, a maximum capacity of 100 kg (or 220 lbs), and a maximum distance of about 25 km at full charge. The rest, I am not much sure anymore.
If you refer to the web page I included, it would look more like the Utility E-Bike with the specs of the Road King E-Bike with some difference which are mentioned above.
I really hope those info can help.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Kipper, welcome to Motorbicycling.com ! :)

I read where you say:

My cousin a few months sent me an electric powered bicycle from China. I was impressed with its performance. But of course, I cannot deny that because I am new to these things
Is it possible to email your cousin and ask if he can inform you of the Manufacturer, Model number, and other informations about this bike ?
If he can send that to you, please post that information here.

I would suggest you look for 2 more inter-tubes 22 x 2.125 for this bike to have ready for replacement when ever that should be required.

Often the manufacturer will email you a file in .pdf format that contains the service manual with technical infomation with "trouble shooting" common problems. It is wise to try and acquire a "work shop manual" when you have a
new machine to study as you begin to learn to use it. If you are an an area
where you must be your own mechanic having a manual to lean with may be your best course to follow. If you are unable to work on machinery for lack of tools or skills, you could print the manual from the online source to have for your mechanic to use in making repairs.

Good luck to you, and I hope to see you post manufacturer/model information here.

kipper

Dec 2, 2008
Philippines
Thank you very much for the advice. As much as I want to ask my cousin to help me, he is in no terms able to as he himself is just as "illiterate" as me regarding e-bikes. By the way, my cousin also lives here and to clarify things, he just have that bike sent over.
The inner tube I have already ask my cousin to ask the sender to get me some. Well, because he'll just include it together with his other packages, then I would not expect it very soon.
As much as I would like to learn how to tinker this, I am in no position to do so. I am not sure if parts are available here locally, as I understand once you did something wrong, you need to change it. Probably if it is easily accessible then I might go ahead and modify it to my needs.
Thanks again for welcoming me in the forum!

A very similar model as mentioned in the previous posting:
click to follow

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Welcome to the forum Kipper!
I have a Thinkbike by Think Mobility (owned by Ford for a year or two) I suspect a lot of Giant parts in there.
It is pedal assist only. The" throttle" on the handlebar is to set the "cruise control" speed only. It cannot be used like a normal throttle. It will activate the motor ONLY when the pedals are turning. So if you wanted maximum boost/speed automatically, pedal with motor assist until the top gear (4th), then twist the "throttle" and hold it for a few seconds at maximum. A light on the control panel will indicate "Cruise", then the "throttle" can be released and the motor will give maximum help as long as the pedals are turning. One of the key devices that does this is called a "torque sensor" I haven't dissected the bike far enough to uncover this device. It is giving me some trouble (I think). I'll let you know what I find.
There is a new dealer here in Tucson that sells the exact same thing as your bike ( I believe). I'll ask them about manuals and trouble shooting advice.
I'll post my findings in one or two days. :D

kipper

Dec 2, 2008
Philippines
Thank you very much again for welcoming me in the forum. I am very honored to part of it.
I'll be waiting for your help regarding this matter.
Is it possible that the person who put back the rear wheel while putting back the chain might tamper something inside (even though they did not opened any of the wiring box)?

kipper

Dec 2, 2008
Philippines
Hi to everyone again and thanks to all who helped and contributed. If you can see again the image of the bicycle I attached, you can see that the wiring system is actually all caged in a special protective cabin near the pedal. Well, eventually as many of you mentioned, I also thought of the sensor. The problem is it is hard to open the wiring compartment to what I think where the sensor is; as I need to actually removed much of the chassis attached to the bike itself. I opened the electronic box where all the wires are hidden within and randomly just detached one of the wires. Wow! The automatic assist sensor is disengaged. Thank God for that! And again thank you all for all the help you all provided.

Last edited: