I'm getting stopped a lot lately

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by biknut, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Nikko

Nikko New Member

haha yea i wouldnt even take 800 for mine, maybe a crappy bike with a stock engine, but man ive put over 700 dollars into my bike, but i dont see anyone buying it off me for that price even if i wanted to sell it.

2. thegnu

thegnu New Member

3. an are the first ones to complain or worse yet bad mouth a quality builder who got caught up in doing the guy a favor .
    also in the service biz for 20 yrs .
    I feel your pain brother :D

3. biknut

biknut Active Member

It happened to me again today. This makes 3 days in a row. Today I was in a hurry trying to get to the bank. I was waiting at a stop sign when this guy makes a right turn onto the street I was on. I could see he was looking my way, and when he gets next to my bike he stops blocking the other lane. I didn't have time to talk to him and as he started rolling down his window I sped off pretending not to see him.

4. CTripps

CTripps Active Member

I had the garage open today trying to make some space in it, so my bikes were lined up just outside. I had three people stop on the way by to ask me about them, and then wanted to know how much I'd sell one for. I get asked at least a couple of times a week about it, and when I explain it they ask me if I have one for sale or how much to build one.

5. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

I get the same thing if I leave my shed door open. The Higgins I'm building now comes really close to looking like an old street bike from the early teens, mock carbide lamp and all. I had a young fellow ask if he could buy it when I was done. (SHEESH! I'd like a chance to ride it for a while first, and after I do that I'm not sure I'll ever want to part with it.) I told him my new stock answer: "Sorry, I'm too poor to assume liability if you wreck it and decide to sue me." He looked dejected, but I knew he couldn't afford what I'd need to ask to break even anyway.

6. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

Sold my first build to a guy who stopped me on the street. $450. He had to go to the bank but oddly enough, couldn't get more then $435. So I ride away. He called me a few minutes later and had all the cash. I regret picking up the phone.

You never forget your first Girl

#26 Dan, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  7. biknut

biknut Active Member

I almost sold the Atomic BB in May for $600. The guy initially balked at the price, but then called me a couple days later wanting to go ahead and buy it, but by then I changed my mind. I'm glad now that I kept it.

8. decoherence

decoherence New Member

i've had people asking me about building bikes.
    i had some guy @ a stop light want to buy it on the spot.
    i wasn't exactly sure if he was pulling my leg.
    he offered 700$ with out even getting out of his car.
    i told him i wasn't interested & drove off.
    i have over 1k in it.

i also have had people @ the local swap shops ask me to build them.
    i would get liability insurance & only sell them locally if the florida laws were more favourable to riders.

i did read somewhere (i would dig it up when i get to that bridge)
    that you can build mopeds w/o a vehicle builder licence.(something along those lines)

i think my business model will be focused on my labour & not marking up parts.
    so they pay for an engine & parts. i don't do any labour unless they pay me to go over the engine. like retapping & changing all bolts.
    every engine would get a complimentary engine dismantle to make sure there are no flashing floating around.
    @ that time we can negotiate any internal clean up, porting, or any other mods.
    part of my fee would be to mount the engine & shim properly.
    so no pulley would be needed.
    every bike would get an upgraded chain.
    if something breaks that i recommended for them to replace, it doesn't fall on my shoulders.
    like if i see they have a weak axle, i can get paid to upgrade their axle or i don't warranty any wheel work.
    if the hub is already strong or they pay me to upgrade it, i'll warranty it.
    same thing w/the throttle & gas tank.
    in fact i would try to steer them from buying the kit & just get the motor & proper parts.
    i would not warranty frame breakage on light bikes.
    focusing on that they are buying parts @ my cost so i can't warranty them.