I'm Almost Finished. Someone PLZZ Help

GoldenMotor.com

Yankee2006

Jul 21, 2010
Connecticut
I'm struggling to get my bike into regular bike mode. I put in the clutch and lock it, but it will not let me pedal and even when it's released it still won't budge. I hear slight compression when trying to pedal, but it won't spin freely. I believe it has something to do with the engine sprocket. PLZZ someone suggest something

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
That happened to me, too. You can adjust it with the lever(mine's cheap and the threads wore out). To do it with the lever, let the clutch out, and screw out the adjuster until when you pull the clutch in, it fully disengages.

Or, if your adjuster is stripped and won't work, you can do this. Let out the handlebar clutch. Follow your cable all the way to the end, where the little clamp is screwed on. Loosen it, pull in the clutch bar(above the sprocket, not on your handle bars) all the way, and slide the clamp to the clutch bar, and tighten well. This should allow your clutch to fully disengage when you pull your clutch handle on the handlebars.

If your clutch won't engage now, you just tightened it a little too much. Just unscrew the clamp enough to loosen the clutch bar a bit.
Hopefully that helps!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the little lever on the engine that the cable goes through.

some engines seem to require a lot of force on that little lever to disengage the clutch.

try pushing it in by hand as hard as you can. then see if the bike rolls.

if it does, then loosen your cable, push in the lever, pull the slack out of the cable, then tighten it back down.

Last edited by a moderator:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
yes. if you pull in the lever, the bike should be in pedal mode only. i don't use the stock levers on my bikes, but the first one i did, and i could never get it to lock. i mean, it would lock, but the bike still wouldn't roll. had to pull it in further than the lock and it worked fine. just wasn't positioned right, i guess.

when you are pedaling, there will be some drag because the motor chain is still rolling, and you have 20 extra pounds hanging from your frame, but it's nothing like a moped from the 70's. it's like a heavy bicycle.

Yankee2006

Jul 21, 2010
Connecticut
is there any chance when i took the casing off to put the chain on with a ratchet that i might have perminantley diengaged the clutch? It looks like a left and right swivling cylinder with an open space. what does that do?

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
not exactly sure what you're describing.

if you take off the cover the "actuator arm" is the lever on top that the clutch cable attaches to, and that's connected to the swiveling rod that goes through the cover. there's an open space and that holds a pin so the rod and the lever don't pull out the top.

with the cover off, that lever will swing back and forth.

on the engine, there's the gear with a black dowel sticking out. behind that dowel is a single ball bearing. you can pull the dowel out with your fingers, and it can also fall out when you remove the cover. if that fell out while you were installing the chain, the bearing might have come with it and rolled away.

if you pull that cover off, pull that dowel out and make sure the bearing is in there. might be hard to see 'cause it's covered in grease.

when you re-install it, make sure it goes together right. there will be a little bit of tension on the lever when you're pushing it back together and putting the bolts in. make sure the lever is facing back towards the rear of the bike and tighten it up.

after it's all back together, the lever will swing to the left (towards the front of the bike) really easy, that's normal, but when it goes towards the rear, it should stop when it's pointing straight back, more or less parallel with the motor chain.

push it as hard as you can towards the right side of the bike. it takes some force, but when it moves, you'll feel the clutch disengaging. when you let go, it should snap back.

if all that's working, then run the cable through the little lever, make sure the cable housing is seated in the clutch lever on the handlebars and the cable stop that's bolted into the engine.

now push that lever on the engine in about an inch and pull the slack out of the cable and tighten it down.

pull the handlebar lever and the rear wheel should roll free. release, and it should stop the wheel.

if this works, you're ready to ride.

if the wheel still won't turn, find a buddy or a way to prop the rear wheel up, then push the lever on the engine in as far as you can while your buddy tries to spin the wheel.

if the wheel spins, then you need to get the cable tighter by pushing the lever in further and tightening the cable back down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yankee2006

Jul 21, 2010
Connecticut
i figured out that i had to push the arm in with a lot of force. is there any way to loosen it or am i just going to have to pull the cable really tight? Should i also have the clutch locked when i set the clutch cable?

Yankee2006

Jul 21, 2010
Connecticut
i figured out the clutch arm had to be pulled in farther so. i figured out a way for it to work. I gased up my bike and have been trying to start it but it doesnt seem to idle. The engine runs as i pedal but when i stop it stops. do u have any sugestions?

Yankee2006

Jul 21, 2010
Connecticut
i cant seem to get it started now. i figured out that the clutch arm wasnt in all the way and thats why it wasnt gett into regular bike mode, but now its not idling and when i drop the clutch i can hear it running but it wont stay. Wat do u think i shld do?

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Sounds like the idle adjust screw isn't adjusted right or you're not going fast enough to keep it running while riding.

You may need to turn the screw on the right side middle (from a sitting on the bike position) of the engine, clockwise until the engine speed lopes nicely..flg.

When you're coasting or slowing down, you should always pull the clutch handle so that your engine doesn't free-rev without being fueled and getting adequate oiling, for the engine speed. I think I must ride with my hand on the clutch handle, constantly...

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
You may have flooded your engine will going through this problem. when the engine starts kepp it running while pedaling, dont use the engines power just pedal to keep it going. This may take many tries and lots of sweat, and also make sure not to turn on the fuel while doing this, trying to get fuel out not in. And FYI if your pedaling just hold in the clutch, the lock is a joke, and can be bad for the engine if a bump is hit hard enough at speed.

Yankee2006

Jul 21, 2010
Connecticut
to adjust the idler. do i have to twist the part coming out of the motor? or the little piece that come out of that? I'm not sure how to adjust the idling so if someone could help that'd be great

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
there's a little screw coming out of the carb with a spring on it. that's your idle screw. turning it in increases your idle, turning out lowers it.

if your bike won't idle, turn the screw in till it does. when it's warmed up, you can play with the screw till the idle sounds the best. normally, you want the idle as low as possible without stalling.