**** Idler Wheel Failed Again, Need Help****

GoldenMotor.com

bowlersp

Jun 29, 2008
i was on my way home again and for the second time in 3 days the chain came off the idler wheel, this time i was fortunate enough to stop in time. however this is frustrating me and i am going to try one more thing before calling it quits.

this is what i want to do, get a different style idler wheel/pulley that is wider and has bigger sides so the chain won't fall off. i pulled the pieces apart today and found that the bearing is attached to the bolt. is that right? if so, who carries the bolt/bearing thing, autozone, lowes, home depot or some local shop? the reason i need another bearing/bolt is because i have stripped the bolt trying to get the nut off. the design on this bearing/bolt is horrible, there is no room for you to get any leverage to turn the nuts off. i would think they would have designed the end closest to the bearing not to be circular, but hex so you can get a hold of it with a wrench.

anybody have any experience getting a different idler wheel/pulley from any local shops like autozone, home depot, lowes or something?

please don't suggest a shifter kit. the whole reason i bought this engine was because it was cheap. i really don't feel like spending another 200 bucks on a shifter kit. at that point i could have just bought a motorcycle. i want to be able to fix this problem by spending the least amount of money possible.

thanks.

Last edited:

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
You have two choices if you dont want to go with the shifter kit.

You can use a deraillier set up to act as an idler - this will mean you threading the chain through the deraillier and the advantage with this is that it literally cannot come out or off - you just have to make sure its set up and adjusted correctly. Additionally it also provides some sprung play into the drivetrain.

The second choice is to drop any idler altogether. You will need to shorten the chain so there is permanant inbuilt light tension in the drive chain.

Finally think about the way you ride - opening the throttle wide open or even having the throttle someway open and dropping the clutch is a surefire way of inducing chain-snap and this is usually what leads to the chain coming off.

You might also try running the chain on the old idler, but putting it on so that the chain runs across the bottom of the idler wheel with the mounting bar on the spokes side of the chain - this will hopefully block the chain from both chainsnap and other issues.

bowlersp

Jun 29, 2008
thanks for your ideas, but couldn't i just use a different idler wheel? wouldn't that be the easiest way to go. to get one that is wider and has bigger side guards?

the other option i thought of was to just add some massive washers onto the bolt next to the idler wheel. that way the washers would prevent the chain from slipping off the idler wheel altogether because it would be impossible. what do you think.

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Do you have a pic of how it is setup now? Other than the support for the idler, I havent heard of the chain coming off. Is the chain tracking strait on the pulley? Sometime you have to bend them to get them strait. Are you sure the problem isnt with the rear sprocket? You have to get that really tightened even to keep from wobbling. I imagine you could use large fender washers.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I think misterright is correct. It sounds to me thier is another problem.

I have never seen or heard of a derailler that will work with these chains :confused:

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I saw in a post one time Fair where someone did make a derailler, or a single speed chain tensioner work, but because it is meant for the opposite side it took MAJOR work to do it. But if you upgrade your chain eventually to #41, I dont believe that would fit thru a drerailer...

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I saw in a post one time Fair where someone did make a derailler, or a single speed chain tensioner work, but because it is meant for the opposite side it took MAJOR work to do it. But if you upgrade your chain eventually to #41, I dont believe that would fit thru a drerailer...
Cool, I'm going to search for it, I would like to see that :)

bowlersp

Jun 29, 2008
yes, i did notice the the chain is rubbing on the side of the idler wheel, so the alignment is probably not 100 percent. however, right now i have the idler wheel in a vise grip with a massive washer with gorilla glue in between them. i will give this a shot and let you guys know how it works out. thanks again for all of your help.

Jimbo

Jun 21, 2008
Vail Az.
I used a 12" cresent wrench to twist the tensioner bracket into alignment with the chain, worked really well.