I found the HOLY GRAIL! (1926 Harley)

GoldenMotor.com

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
I am so sorry to have to be the one to inform you of this Bird. But it is apparent you are confusing Dan Brown's new Book and Ron Howard's new Movie with their older one. Don't feel bad. Many are doing that very thing in these recent days. Then there are those who jump on the bandwagon after is where the real confusion starts to come. See Breaking the DaVinici Code and Breaking the Harley Code are two different series of books and movies..

But they do however have one central theme, like in that of the DaVinci Code the Holy Grail is pointedly a "V" and not of a Chalice, per se. The same goes for the Harley Code, this also a "V". Only in the Harley Code, it's speaking of the Twin cylinder V engine. I'm so glad I found your thread before you invested money into this project. As it is clear, you were given a little Pr_cK and nothing even closely resembling a "V" or a Chalice! I'm so glad I could clear that up for you!.

Hope your luck continues, as we see you have gained the road to the best of it!.

.shft.
I see your concern as this may not be the "rarest" of motorcycles in the world but from my perspective, this find has given me a natural high. Being that I have been sleeping, breathing, and eating the ideas of antique motorcycles 24/7 for the past couple years. It may not be a cyclone, merkel or an even an excelsior twin, but I am more than willing to sell everything and spend it on having the sure capability to drive a piece of american history.
-bird

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I see your concern as this may not be the "rarest" of motorcycles in the world but from my perspective, this find has given me a natural high. Being that I have been sleeping, breathing, and eating the ideas of antique motorcycles 24/7 for the past couple years. It may not be a cyclone, merkel or an even an excelsior twin, but I am more than willing to sell everything and spend it on having the sure capability to drive a piece of american history.
-bird
AMEN Bird!!!!! Well handled

Cycoracer8

Jul 6, 2011
Hi-Desert, So. Cal
Still in high school and you've been racing an XR750 for a few years? Damn what a life & so young. Now, you got this prize. There's a reason for this to happen. Run with it man. Life is to short. I've got an XR1000 street, an a 1942 WLA 45 flat head. I've been thinking of putting the 42 in a btr frame. Not sure yet. I'll be watching your project. Good to see a smart young man.

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
It seems to me, we have a few here that have no sense of humor and taking that as which is stated in humor to be fact. Or those who play Spin Doctor to the point by calling it stabbing at Bird. Or those who believe we shouldn't be using Humor and be a friend to one another at the forum, in that of writings which should read like a motor manual or a specifications sheet. This where the actual spin of this thread took place.

This as I humorously added comment as others did in wishing they were in Bird's shoes. But to take my comment out of it's context, as what is the case here of what has been done. This being as obvious to any who are reading this thread, as the end of my first comment was stated in Humility of his find. The very same points I brought out in my comments of the honor Bird was given in this Harley engine are stated. Yet these sincere points are pushed aside. Then I'm stated as creating down fall in putting a negative spin on this thread. No, it is indeed quite the contrary and very obvious who's put the negative spin on it.

For those that do not know, There is no book, nor movie "Harley Code", nor "Breakling the Harley Code". Hence the point of the Jest in Humor. That ties between the "V" in the DaVinci Code and the ole warring point between Harley and Indian that goes back even before my time. I apologize for trying to be friendly! .

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Sorry didn't realize this was the Oprah Winfrey bookclub..... See what I did there, that was humor...... Telling someone their dream find isn't all that special doesn't strike me as humor. If there's a misunderstanding I apologies but don't suggest that I am responsible, I think that's what you were getting at right?

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
Again with the twisting of what was said. No matter how many times you attempt to add your twisting of the fact of what I said, you still pull it outside of what was said. There in attempting to make it other than what it is. Your personal trait of belittlements is revealed to all. Do you really believe it behooves you to continue as no one see's what your attempting?

I won't say anything more about this, but to leave your inuendo With a Quote From A.I.M.. That fits your creation of a problem thats been repeated throughout history!
"If you're not willing to invest what it takes to develop your own historical and analytical consciousness beyond the level of a parrot, what are you willing to invest to get something done? The answer, I think is self-evident. You're not serious. You're treating your politics like a fashion statement, and it's really irresponsible of you to prattle on as if it were otherwise."
"In soundbites built on conscious lies, cynical innuendoes, and determined efforts to silence someone identified as a serious threat to their continued "mastery" over identified "turf" by AIM, aka; American Indian Movement ... nough said!

.shft.

mange

Nov 21, 2010
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I am truely befuddled by what I came accross in my neighbors yard. We struck up a conversation as I passed on my whizzer yesterday and he felt he needed to show me something i would be interested in. The old man took me into one of his sheds full of antique signs and Hit-Miss engines, lifted a tarp, and my jaw hit the floor. It was a 1926 harley peashooter engine that was converted into a generator during the great depression.

At that moment I got down on my hands and knees and fiddled with it for a moment and he asked "do you want it?'' I replied "absolutely!" The man practically wanted to give it away but I insisted he take the $200 cash I had in my wallet at the time. I buzzed on home and came back with a pickup. The engine is nearly ready to run despite a few little things here and there and the compression is rock hard! I am still debating weather to slap it in a frame.
Whow,

Smacks of the American Pickers. Good thing you knew what you were looking at. Most would have ignored it as an old piece of junk.

Should sell for a ton, also.

Mike zpt

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
Still in high school and you've been racing an XR750 for a few years? Damn what a life & so young. Now, you got this prize. There's a reason for this to happen. Run with it man. Life is to short. I've got an XR1000 street, an a 1942 WLA 45 flat head. I've been thinking of putting the 42 in a btr frame. Not sure yet. I'll be watching your project. Good to see a smart young man.
I probably should have been more specific, Its an xr500 :) I would do insane things to get my hands on a 750!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I probably should have been more specific, Its an xr500 :) I would do insane things to get my hands on a 750!
Just wondering Bird, what year is your XR500? And does it have a 23" front rim found on early XR's? And if so do you have trouble finding tyres for it? Do you run a knobby front or more of a flattrack tyre?

The reason i ask, it was brought to my attention that 23" front XR rims are very close to the size of the original 28" wheels used on boardtrackers.

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
Just wondering Bird, what year is your XR500? And does it have a 23" front rim found on early XR's? And if so do you have trouble finding tyres for it? Do you run a knobby front or more of a flattrack tyre?

The reason i ask, it was brought to my attention that 23" front XR rims are very close to the size of the original 28" wheels used on boardtrackers.
It's a 1979. The original front tire was a 23" but when I lowered the bike with R1 front forks I down sized to 21. I still have the original front rim/ tire with a spare also.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hold onto them then Bird, im not sure of your plans yet, but supposedly those 23" rims are very close to BTR 28" rims.

Im keeping my eye out for some but havent seen any and i havent seen any tyres either to suit yet.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I have made the decision, I will do a ground up re-fab of the entire bike in all of its glory. Did some more research and It is the luxury B model with an alternator, full electric and that pretty much doubles the value.. As much as Id like to pay off college, I have always dreamed of owning a real machine like this.
It's a real gift to you bird, that's for sure. I think God likes you :)
ENJOY !

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im not sure how scarce those rims are over there, but here in OZ im having difficulty finding some, ive seen one 23" wheel so far but i didnt bid on it as i wasnt sure about tyres. Those tyres may suit flattracking purposes but i want a more vintage style tyre so im not sure yet.

Supposedly the 23" wheels are hard to keep true so a lot of XR riders put a 21" wheel back on.

The reason im considering using them as i wanna do a boardtracker, not sure whether you want that look or later model bike (year of your engine) and you may not need the big rims to get "the look".

Either way if i were you id keep those wheels of yours, even if you dont use them in your next project, you may down the track. I get the feeling you will build a lot of bikes

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
I have the engine running like a top! I am still trying to figure out how to post video from my cell phone.. The idle is extremely low and has a "plink plink plink!" sound:) I will solve the video link problem shortly.