Hyper cruiser rear wheel problems

GoldenMotor.com

Need4speed

Sep 27, 2021
Hi everyone

I'm a new member here. I have been looking into motor bikes for a while now and I finally took the plunge and got a 66cc zeda and a hyper beach cruiser

Well it ran great for the most part for a few hundred miles. Then all of the sudden the back wheel locked up ( I'm using the stock coaster brake because I really like how it helps with my weight distribution during turns- I can be centered pressing down on the pedals) but have been told that the coaster brake cant hold up to high speed
Now I don't know what to do cause the wheels that have built in drum brake and sprocket adapters in a mag wheel are going to run me 200$

Can anyone recommend a company that sells rear wheel only? I could either buy the back mag wheel and then the front or I could find or build a HD spoked wheel that I can fit disk brakes on - being that I dont want to weld brackets for friction brakes cause I want disks eventually anyhow.
I'm just having a shortage of money and desperately trying to fix the rear wheel and put brakes back on the bike

Anyone know where to get just the rear mag wheel or a setup for the rear spoked wheel that would handle a 220lb man and his 35+mph cycle?

I've looked and I asked in another forum just to be told to save the 200 for BBR mag wheels or it will be back needing parts in a week at most. Just hoping for a second opinion cause this threw a wrench in my plans for this build

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, don't panic just yet. Does the wheel turn at all? Have you took off the engine chain cover? Sometimes the chain will catch behind the cover, try removing the engine chain and see if it will roll. You can loosen the nuts on the wheel and see if that helps, if you're mechanically inclined and take your time you can take it apart and maybe figure it out. If the brake arm band come loose, the wheel will lock up internally. One side is left hand threads and the other is right, if it gets too tight it locks down.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have two bikes with coaster brakes that I added front side pull brake to, using both brakes make both stop good. You can add side pull brakes for $20 or so from ebay, 96mm reach bmx style worked on both of mine.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I just found several wheel master rear wheels here https://www.amazon.com/s?k=flying+h...x=flying+horse+rear+,aps,208&ref=sr_nr_p_36_3 that are under $100. I bought one that was a brand called Flying Horse only paid like $70 for it. Same thing happend to my cruiser. Rear bearing went off like a grenade ruined the wheel. Still have the same wheel on the bike and its holding up great and I've abused the **** out of it. Check those out.

gill vanderwerf

Sep 9, 2019
i had major problems with that until i learned a good lesson you need to get a front break and started using it as my main break the coaster break is just not strong enough for constant use to stop...i am building a new bike now and that one will have a front disc break i highly recommend you get one there are plenty of guys here that can show you the right way how to do things....i learned the hard way after breaking 3 wheels.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Did you purchase a Hyper? Any coaster brake wheel needs to be internally greased with high temp automotive wheel bearing grease if you are going to ride it above about 15 miles per hour. Add a hand brake and only use the coaster brake after you have slowed to 15 of 20. Or basically no faster than you can pedal.

Hi. I yesterday purchase a bike and now i see this thread... i am i little scared now :D