Huffy Cranbrook

GoldenMotor.com

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I heard so much on this site about the Huffy Cranbrook bicycles that I just had to build one to see how I liked it. I bought the bike new from Walmart for $87 and the engine bolted right up with no problems. I had to cut a notch in the back fender because the chain was rubbing against it but other than that it was a very painless build and very easy, only took two hours. Already have it sold. As I was test driving it for the first time tonight I realized that those stock handlebars are not for me. I'm a large guy and when I ride this bike it's like I'm steering it from my chest almost. Oh well, as long as the buyer likes it then it's all good I guess. Peace :)

Attachments

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
The dude I built it for loves it but he's a smaller guy than me. But then again, he hasn't ridden it yet either, he's picking it up tomorrow evening. He says he's buying it for his 11 year old grand daughter but I advised him against it. I just don't think she is old enough or skilled enough to ride this thing without getting hurt but he won't listen to me. Oh well, I'll have him sign a disclaimer when he picks it up releasing me from any and all liability. She's never ridden a MB and she has no idea what a clutch is for or how one works. He thinks that just because she can ride a regular 10 speed that she can ride a motorized bike. We'll see.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
As long as she doesn't get hurt I'm sure it'll be hilarious to watch. I sold one to a 40 year old man today and even he had problems learning how to use the clutch, throttle and hand brakes in unison. Of course after he rode it for about 4 blocks he was doing much better and he fell in love with it right away.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Well now I have another cranbrook sitting in my shop. The old guy didn't give the bike to his grandaughter. He took it for a ride and fell in love with it and kept it for himself and another guy in my neighborhood saw him riding it and went and bought the exact same bike and dropped it off at my house tonight for me to motorize for him. His engine will be here on monday at around 4:30 and his bike will be finished at around 6:30 or 7. They are easy builds :)

Last edited:

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
.weldI was looking at this bike for my second build, using a 66cc Raw engine. I guess the rear hub bolts up to the sprocket, my store here does not carry the cranbrook but I can have one sent to my store VIA online order.Really like the bike and the price, my biggest concern was if it had a protruding hub on left side to mount the sprocket, but seems like no problems were mentioned.

D0ppleganger

Feb 27, 2010
CS, TX
I was also looking at this bike for my second build.
What engine brand/size did you use on this build (if I'm allowed to ask that?)

First build was a Pacific Kulana Riviera from Academy, similar to huffy cranbrook

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I used a pk80 68.5cc slanthead engine on both of the cranbrooks. I'll be honest with you about this bike, Its not very durable stock. You should buy some HD wheels for it and really re-grease the bottom bracket before you motorize it. I also added a front hand brake to both of the cranbrooks I built but the guys who bought them love them and they haven't upgraded the wheels yet even though I advised them to. They are easy builds though.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I like my Cranbrook. I got the huffy Cranbrook Fashion Cruiser. It was green with a black frame. All the green went out the door. Just got back from a ride a little bit ago. About all that's left of the original bike is the frame, cranks and handlebars but, I like the way it turned out. I hear a lot of guys talking about finding an old frame at Sal-Val or something like that. I'm thinking that, if you've got to spend over $50 for a bike (just for the frame), you might as well get a new one and have everything new (not rusted). Especially if you can get it in the color that you want.

Attachments

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I like my Cranbrook. I got the huffy Cranbrook Fashion Cruiser. It was green with a black frame. All the green went out the door. Just got back from a ride a little bit ago. About all that's left of the original bike is the frame, cranks and handlebars but, I like the way it turned out. I hear a lot of guys talking about finding an old frame at Sal-Val or something like that. I'm thinking that, if you've got to spend over $50 for a bike (just for the frame), you might as well get a new one and have everything new (not rusted). Especially if you can get it in the color that you want.
I bought a brand new Cranny from KMart for 70 bucks ( all black frame with chrome fenders) and am planning on installing a Zoom 66 on it and from what I can tell via this forum it is an easy build...I will be purchasing all of Jim's after market parts to make it even more painless to build....we've all seen a lot of Cranny's here and they seem to make a good build....

9 cents worth,
Salty.shft.

Cheech

Aug 22, 2009
Red Rock,West Virginia,USA
Here's one of my first Crannys with her big sister Schwinn Riverside(7-speed Delmar) Kruiser.This is a good comparison and as you can see the Schwinn is a much better platform,though the Cranny is lighter and a little faster not to mention cheaper($78 compared $119 for the Schwinn)...Take a look....Cheech

Attachments

Last edited:

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
Just picked up Cranny, blue with cream fenders, brown seat and grips. I was happy to see the heavy gauge spokes, they sure look like 12 gauge. Any one know the decimal for 12 gauge spokes? Fenders seemed ok, double L bracket on front mount single L on back but 2 screws holding it together,but do seem a little flimsy. Problem now is finding a cantilever brake that will clear the wide fender when brake is applied, yea I can notch and grind, but leaving that for last resort. Any ideas on brake clearance? Thanks Chopper

Last edited:

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
Hey Motorbike Wanabe, I really like your bike. Did it come with the black rims? If you painted them, any tips? I have toyed with the idea of black rims and spokes. Maybe even the whole bike in flat black.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Here's one of my first Crannys with her big sister Schwinn Riverside(7-speed Delmar) Kruiser.This is a good comparison and as you can see the Schwinn is a much better platform,though the Cranny is lighter and a little faster not to mention cheaper($78 compared $119 for the Schwinn)...Take a look....Cheech
Hey Cheech,
What motors do you use for your builds? I really like that Cranny with the springer fork. Also where did you procure the fork ? I have the same exact bike and am looking for parts to build it up with.

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
Salty-
Spooky Tooth has chrome or black with the “break bosses” already welded on to mount V brakes for $70, without for $45. Piston Bikes also has them without for $39.99.
I am getting a mine installed today. Can’t wait to get it back.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Salty-
Spooky Tooth has chrome or black with the “break bosses” already welded on to mount V brakes for $70, without for $45. Piston Bikes also has them without for $39.99.
I am getting a mine installed today. Can’t wait to get it back.
Thanks Prof !....I've found a few sites that carry them and am wondering what size they are ?....does the Cranny take an inch or one and an eighth ?....is it threadless or threaded ?

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
I don't remember. I just called Spook Tooth and told them the type of bike I had (Raleigh Retroglide 7) and asked if it would fit. I ordered it on their recommendation and it was confirmed today when I showed it to the bike mechanic. Call'em- they'll know.
Professor Fate

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Hey Prof!

They came painted black. I've got another set on it now that are chrome. I wanted a drum brake so I put a Husky wheel on the front and back with 12-gauge spokes. 125 dollars delivered with the front and rear wheels. I thought of painting them but havent yet.

So far as the springer front forks, I bought my springer at bike-buyers.com for around 39 bux. It's a 1-inch tube but the tube was a little long. Instead of cutting it, I put a spacer in between the upper bearing nut and the top nut. It works fine and I've got about 850 miles on it now since Christmas.

Attachments

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
Thanks Homeless Bob, I have a tent you can have if you need one. Measured the Crannys spokes, came out to .109 if i read right on Sheldons chart my bike has 12 gauge spokes, maybe Huffy is paying attention to our concerns for heavier spokes. My previous bike measures .090 an older Roadmaster bike I have had for awhile. I have about 200 miles on that one with no problems.