Hub adaptors or rag joints - new resource

GoldenMotor.com

billragland

Aug 14, 2010
Springvale, ME
I just love this country. Free enterprise is a heavenly state of being. I ordered a hub adaptor from an online motorized bike dealer which only stocks 3 sizes. One of them said it was for a Schwinn 7 speed coaster bike which I am using. (Modus 1.182" to 1.187") My bad for not actually buying a caliper and measuring it exactly vice with a crescent wrench and tape measure. Of course it was too small and can't be used. Discovering that this dealer has a zero customer return policy, I started looking around for other resources. Google led me to the actual Manic Mechanic website at
MANIC Mechanic Parts.htm. To my good fortune they recently started offering custom hub adaptors in addition to the limited sizes stocked by dealers. You now can order custom hub adaptors for most cylindrical hubs with diameters ranging from 0.900 to 1.187 inches. It is possible that 3 holes will need to be drilled in the drive sprocket for the big attachment screws, but for a cost of $45 including USPS Priority shipping, now anyone who loves a bike that they want to motorize doesn't have to delay a final divorce from their rag joint because retailers don't want to stock the exact hub adaptor on their next beloved motorizable bike. The website lists exact details of restrictive hub characteristics with the clarity and exactness of a machinist and an honest reason for their no return policy - you make the measurement and they cut the aircraft aluminum to match what you need. This competition contrasts with what some exclusive dealer chooses to stock in the same 'my way or the highway' spirit of a big box hardware store. This one new resource could totally overnight extinguish the rag joint marketplace, with smart engine kit dealers including in their price a dropship from Manic Mechanic of an exact hub adaptor for the ride that people want to use. Enjoy the freedom.

Mainiac Motors
EZMotorbike kits/installation
Springvale, ME
Home Page
Bill Ragland

207-752-2309

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I've been thinking about buying the MM adaptor, but anyone know where to get a cheap sprocket? $40 is expensive.

billragland

Aug 14, 2010
Springvale, ME
My bad typo on the Manic Mechanic hub adaptor hub diameter range. It is actually 0.900 to 1.770. Elderly eyes can't be trusted.

Humiliated,

Mainiac Motors
Bill Ragland

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I was messaged about where to get a cheap sprocket:
Re: Hub adaptors or rag joints - new resource
I've been thinking about buying the MM adaptor, but anyone know where to get a cheap sprocket? $40 is expensive.
Hi
Manic Mechanic only charges $20 for a 40 tooth
sprocket when you buy a hub adapter.

Call Karen at 727 768-9510 to order

You can post this info on the forum.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
MMs sprockets don't fit the kit 415 chains; so you also have to figure in the extra cost of buying a quality 410 chain, (which makes it not such a good deal.) :(

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
MMs sprockets don't fit the kit 415 chains; so you also have to figure in the extra cost of buying a quality 410 chain, (which makes it not such a good deal.) :(
415 chain fits the Manic Mechanic sprockets perfectly.

I am mainly using 41 chain which fits MM sprockets too as it is the
same pitch and roller diameter. Just 1/16" wider between the plates.

410 chain will not fit MM sprockets because it is too narrow between
the side plates.
However, MM will make your sprocket for the narrower 410 chain if that
is what you want. All you have to do is ask.

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
no the nice 415 chains dont fit mm sprockets. i have like 3 brand new 415's that do not fit them. they do fit the pirate sprockets perfect though.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
almost everyone here knows the quality of all the sprocket adapters currently on the market today. this thread started out as an advertisement and it's turning into a rivalry over who's is better.

without adding fuel to the fire, here's my 12 cents...

i've used many MM adapters, always got great service from him, and it's a quality product.

i only run 41 chains, and they have a lot of side to side slop, but i've never thrown a chain. mostly because i install them correctly.

an aluminum sprocket doesn't hold up well over time. after 6-8 months of everyday hard riding, my sprockets look like sawblades, and i usually change them out. my everyday bike has a steel 30t from a moped to solve this problem.

every adapter i got needed to be modified to fit a worksman wheel, or any other wheel with 11g spokes. i've had to shave down the prongs to get it through the spokes. i understand he makes a larger one now to fit the wheel, but haven't personally owned one.

the button-head bolts are a bad idea, as they require more clearance, and a lot more modifying of the coaster brake arm. i countersink all mine and replace the bolts. i believe he's countersinking his bolts now, too. but again, i haven't seen one yet.

i've never had one slip, and overall, i'm happy with MM adapters, even though i've needed to modify them. but since i need to modify everything else on my bikes, it's just one more thing to do.

i can also get as small as a 28t sprocket, which is a big plus.

the un-mentioned but hinted at sportscarpat adapter is also a quality piece. the 3-piece design works perfect, is slightly easier to install, doesn't slip, fits an 11g wheel, has countersunk bolts, clears the coaster brake arm, and doesn't need to be modified.

my only complaint is with the same soft aluminum sprockets, and due to it's larger size, the smallest sprocket that can be used is a 34t.

i've never tried any others, except for the factory rag joints, which can be made to work just fine, although they put pressure on your spokes, which can be a big problem on cheaper bikes with smaller gauge spokes, your sprocket choices are limited, and they're a #$@&ng pain to install.

that's my un-biased opinion, based on real-world experience, and without any character attacks or favoritism.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Myself, I don't understand why anyone would use a 415 when a 41 would work better. It's more readily available and doesn't throw as easily. Also easier on sprockets from my XP

Anyway, I bought a MM custom adapter on Memorial Day weekend and it came with countersunk bolts in addition to panheads. Allens for both included. Installed easy, because I measured the hub and ordered it for that size. As opposed to buying a set-size adapter for a hub that might vary in outside diameter. I don't have a sprocket yet, but I don't foresee a problem, as I don't use coaster brakes on MaBs.

Also chains are much easier on sprockets when you do not set them too tight and replace the chain at a set interval. Chain being straight a given. People putting 2K+ miles on a MaB chain is a recipe to wear out a sprocket.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
baird, I'm just saying that i couldnt fit 3 of my chains on the mm sprockets i have. didnt say they were garbo. I'd be a to say that considering all my bikes have a mm adap and sprocket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
415 chain fits the Manic Mechanic sprockets perfectly.

I am mainly using 41 chain which fits MM sprockets too as it is the
same pitch and roller diameter. Just 1/16" wider between the plates.

410 chain will not fit MM sprockets because it is too narrow between
the side plates.
However, MM will make your sprocket for the narrower 410 chain if that
is what you want. All you have to do is ask.
Sorry, I meant to say that the 41 chain (& not 410) is only what fits MM sprockets... 415 chains have never fit the sprockets I used to get from him before I found a better sprocket manufacturer.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
baird, I'm just saying that i couldnt fit 3 of my chains on the mm sprockets i have. didnt say they were garbo. I'd be a to say that considering all my bikes have a mm adap and sprocket.
no worries. my post wasn't directed at you. I've never used anything but a 41 chain so I didn't know the 415 didn't fit.

I forgot to mention that all the new grubee gt5's have the cheap bicycle chain, so I don't think any of the current adapters will fit, and upgrading the chain to a larger sprocket will slap around on the skinnier engine sprocket.

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Myself, I don't understand why anyone would use a 415 when a 41 would work better. It's more readily available and doesn't throw as easily. Also easier on sprockets from my XP
Just found out that they're cheaper. After buying my 415. Urghhhhhhh.....