Hua Sheng Centrifugal Clutch

GoldenMotor.com

bdial

Jun 3, 2011
Easton, Maryland
Is there a "Max Torque" c clutch that will replace the 3 arm, Hua Sheng clutch mounted on the engine with the short tapered shaft? Is there anyone who has an actual Hua Sheng replacement clutch in stock? Has anyone ever replaced the "shoes" on the Hua Sheng clutch? Lots of questions but a thorough search of the forums did not provide answers. As always, I appreciate assistance.

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
I have the stock centrifugal clutch on my Huasheng engine. It recently blew a spring and so I was looking for a replacement (the pads were demolished in the process)

the only place that I could find that supplied the arms was thatsdax. They also sell the complete unit.

I'm worried though about the stock springs. I don't wanna put another stock one back in the engine just to have the springs slip off again and destroy the clutch. Do you (or anyone else) know what springs I can replace them with that would be more reliable?

bdial

Jun 3, 2011
Easton, Maryland
That's exactly what happened to my stock HS clutch. I bought a new HS clutch but I would sure like to find a better replacement. Let me know what you find out.

Bill

mark f. cheney

May 31, 2011
utah
I just purchased some Hausheng 53CC motors with a three shoe clutch attached. I have to supply the clutch drum and PTO and bearings. I noted that you have or had, as the case may be, experience with Hausheng clutches.

Can you tell me their engagement RPM and maby a note on how long it lasted.

Mark F. Cheney utahmarshmotors.com

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
I just purchased some Hausheng 53CC motors with a three shoe clutch attached. I have to supply the clutch drum and PTO and bearings. I noted that you have or had, as the case may be, experience with Hausheng clutches.

My clutch blew after only 4 hrs of riding time on the clock. I live on a steep long hill & that's what I think destroyed my clutch running on a 50T sprocket. (according to DAX)
2 broken springs & one broken shoe. Switched to a 56T sprocket and have had no problems since.

mark f. cheney

May 31, 2011
utah
When the clutch blew was the engine working hard? Does your engine have mods? Do you run at Maximum RPM most of the time, or something a little slower? Thank you for your assistance and experience.

Mark F. Cheney

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england

hi, just found something interesting on these huasheng clutches. just ordered a new one, on e bay only £4.95 free postage in the uk. first one from play time ect. was perfect. only neede low revs to start off, and drive, just past tick over. now i suspected it was starting to slip so ordererd another one this time from red circle as could not find playtime, same price. However i fitted it, and replaced the new springs with the old ones, as i believed they was just the right tension, tried the bike out today, and it was useless, would not take off unless i had 3/4 throttle. would not climb my usual hills, just made it home. took to bits, guess what? the new one was made of alloy, the old one steel. so replaced it with the old steel one with the new springs. now it is back to normal, i now noticed all the other clutches that had this problem ie. 3/4 throttle was also alloy. SO the answer is always make sure the shoes are made of steel. they thro out sooner, the spring tension also plays a part but it is the steel that makes the bike rideable or not. bye

mark f. cheney

May 31, 2011
utah
Thanks for the comments on the clutch. You got a good price on it. when you say "steel" are you referring to powdered iron that is sometimes used? or are you referring to a forging or casting? Is the term alloy referring to cast aluminum or "pot metal"?

I think that the clutches that I have are made with powdered iron shoes. Hausheng told me that the design engagement RPM is intended to be 3,000 RPM. Thank you for your detailed note.

Mark F. Cheney

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
morning mark f. yes the shoes seem to be cast steel, i think if you test them with a magnet, and they feel heavy compared to the cast alluminium ones, that should be ok, i think the sellers and makers should be made aware of this problem. I think 300o rpm is still to high, I would like it to engage clutch just past tickover. I am also trying to think of a way to bring the shoes, ie clutch pads closer to the bell, as i think the large gap is not neccesary. I noticed on some forums the m.a.b guys add weights to the shoes. i could try adding more weights to mine. I will add that i am running a 77tooth rear from blowbyyou. and with the original 11 tooth drive sprocket, would climb a brick wall, however it was over reving to much beyond 25 mph especially on down slight slopes. so i modified a 14 tooth bmx sprocket now it cruises at an easy 26 to 32 mph top speed so far on the level 37mph. much more driveable but lost a bit of hill climbing torque. wish i had just the 2 gears, ps the original 48 tooth with the kit was useless, burned out the clutch in the first 22 miles, would not take off from a standstill. and whas hard to peddle from stationary, how some of you guys can run 36 tooth i don,t know, you must live on the salt flats, you must have torque, speed is less important. bye

Last edited:

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
hi, just found something interesting on these huasheng clutches. just ordered a new one, on e bay only £4.95 free postage in the uk. first one from play time ect. was perfect. only neede low revs to start off, and drive, just past tick over. now i suspected it was starting to slip so ordererd another one this time from red circle as could not find playtime, same price.

When referencing an item on eBay, could you give a link or at least an item number? That way we'll know exactly what you're talking about. Unfortunately just saying "playtime" or "red circle" doesn't help because neither are valid seller IDs.

Last edited: