how to mount back sprocket on a stingray??

GoldenMotor.com

4wdingman

Aug 26, 2008
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Hi

I have a stingray and i want to mount a 48cc motor to it but my problem is that the bolts on the back sprocket get in the way of the metal thing that holds the spocks in??

Can someone tell me how to mount the sprocket...

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
Hi

I have a stingray and i want to mount a 48cc motor to it but my problem is that the bolts on the back sprocket get in the way of the metal thing that holds the spocks in??

Can someone tell me how to mount the sprocket...
MOST STINGRAY WHEELS ARE 28 SPOKE RIMS SO YOU HAVE TWO OPTIONS.

1 . YOU CAN SPEND FOUR HOURS ( LIKE I DID) AND FORCE THE BOLTS THRU WITH HELP OF A FRIEND AND IN THE END YOU CAN ONLY GET 8 OUT OF THE 9 BOLTS THRU.

2. OR TWO ( LIKE I EVENTUALY DID) GO TO THE LOCAL BIKE STORE AND BUY TWO 32 OR 36 SPOKE RIMS AND SPROCKET WILL BOLT RIGHT ON IN LESS THEN OHHH LETS SAYS 7 MINUTES.

MY BIKE WITH 32 SPOKE RIMS

HOPE THIS HELPS.
P.S. I HAVE SEEN SEVERAL STINGRAYS WITH STOCK WHEEL WITH ONLY 8 BOLTS IN THEM . IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE MAKE SURE THE HOLE WITH NO BOLT IS IN THE CENTER OF THE THREE HOLE METAL STRIP

THE LAZY RAY WITH 28 SPOKE RIMS

AND IF ITS A COASTER BRAKE YOU WILL HAVE TO EITHER BEND THE BRAKE ARM ON THE LEFT SIDE TO CLEAR THE BOLTS . OR DRILL SPROCKET SOME AND BUT SOME TAPERED BOLTS THAT WILL MAKE THEM FIT FLUSH AGAINST THE SPROCKET .

LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER PROBLEMS .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was just offered an unbelievable price for a brand new, never ridden Stingray, California Chopper version. The rear tire looks like it belongs on a motorcycle, wide and bitchin tread but when I examined the bike and its adaptability to an engine conversion I noticed the spacing on the rear spokes and their wide stance would never allow for a standard sprocket installation. Also the rear brakes are right in the chain path so they would have to be relocated. Has anyone ever done a conversion on this little bike? It looks to be begging for an engine but it will take some modifications to make everything fit and work. I'd like to see photos if anyone knows of any. I've got to buy this bike even if I don't put an engine on it; I can't pass up the price.
Thanks.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
I Usually Use The Old Stingrays , But On The New Ones I Know You Have To Buy/build A Special Mount To Make engine fit It . i know there are several builds but i cant get the search to show me them i think one of them was named custom chopper trike or something to that affect.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, just found Don's Stingray thread. The bike I looked at yesterday appears to be a little different but very much like his. The brakes, only rears, mount just behind the seat stay at about the nine oclock position viewed from the left side. I'll have to check out the sprocket adapter he used because obviously the rubber sandwich method won't work. I have accss to a complete machine shop so fabing up a hub / sprocket adapter shouldn't be that big a deal. I hate to drill holes in this thing, like I said it's brand new. It still has the cardboard in the spokes and it has never been ridden. It was bought for a grandson by a proud grandfather but the kid is only two. It'll be a while before he can ride and it and now grandad wants it out of his garage. I have to buy it. I want front brakes so that will be another mod that will have to be done. A disc setup would look way cool on this mini-chopper.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Since you mentioned disc hub....one of our sprockets would be a direct bolt on at that point....If you wanted to try working a disc brake too, the Top Hat Sprocket Adapter may make that happen (to be honest I have never tried to get it all to work on a very wide rear tire....I am assuming the tire is wider than a mountain bike tire?).

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
Can you set an engine without hacking the frame up on a 20" bike?
I DEPENDS ON THE BIKE AND THE AREA YOU HAVE TO WORK WITH TO FIT THE ENGINE IN. AN OLD SCHOOL STINGRAY YOU CAN IF YOU TAKE OUT THE STUDS ON THE MOTOR MOUNTS AND SPARK PLUG AND INSTALL THEM AFTER THE ENGINE IS IN TEH FRAME. AND A HAVE DONE ONE WHERE I HAD TO BOLT THE CARB TO THE INTAKE AND THEN BOLT THE INTAKE TO THE MOTOR( REMOVING THE STOCK STUDS ON THE INTAKE MOUNT AND REPLACEING THEM WITH ALLEN HEAD BOLTS.

OHHH YEAH AND I FORGOT A CJ7Y SHORTY PLUG TRIMMED CHAIN GUARD COVER (OPTIONAL) AND DOWNGRADING FROM A STOCK 44T SPROCKET ON THE PEDALS TO A 36 T OR SMALLER. I THINK THATS ALL

Last edited: