How to make some serious bread!

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
The problem with being a baker during the Holidays is the requests.............

Today consisted of 8 loaves of bread, 2 German Chocolate Cakes, and 1 Peach Cobbler. I can 'scratch' those off the list!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
You guys are killing me here! I love bread, but have gluten intolerance and other colonic problems so bread free for the last seven years. Refined sugar is also a thing of the past & little fructose.

For those like me (gluten intolerant) I've found that a pizza crust can be made using finely grated cabbage, eggs & mozzarella cheese. Hand kneaded and press to desired thickness on wax paper & pan then bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Then add your fav toppings, sauce, spices and heat to suit.

Small pizza 8" = 2 eggs, two cups of grated cabbage and 2 cups of grated cheese. 14'" size just double the ingredients.

Sounds bad tastes delicious.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Calzone with corn? Recipe required MT, PLEASE.(^)

Sorry to here of your of gluten intolerance Rick. Your gluten free pizza platform is worth a try. Pizza crusts as a rule are just a platform/carrier of the flavorings.
MT's calzones have my interest alot.
Tom

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Really these suggestions are excellent. I love breads and used to bake sour dough loaves as Christmas gifts.

Tom the colon problems I keep under control with diet, relaxation and exercise. Seven years & I've adjusted to a no sugar, low carb diet. Yet I remember how delicious all these things are. My health in general is pretty good I'd say.

Rick C.

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
It is not corn that is orange yellow colored, but cheddar cheese. I also used mozzarella cheese. Spinach that fresh uncooked and just rinsed. Celery that is chopped and sliced mushroom both fried in vegetable oil. Celery still left a bit crunchy. After baking it also has some crunch too. Turkey Apple Sausage that was first boiled a little and then BBQ'ed then Sliced and fried also in the cast iron skillet. Brings out flavor by browning a bit. Would have probably liked salami or ham as meat instead but still satisfying as 2 cheeses pulls it all together. Oh, yea the canned crushed tomato sauce is lacking flavor and really like Barilla brand Marinara Sauce but was out. Still again the 2 cheeses made it.

The recipe I doubled. I would not put a double recipe of dough in the mixer, just do separate and then meld the two dough balls into one. It is just so much effort that doing 1 recipe does not make sense. I just barely manage to put 4 big calzones on the pizza stone. I would only use one stone as heating a space otherwise is uneven in the oven. Just before putting calzone on stone I sprinkle rice flour on the stone to prevent sticking. Also put rice flour under formed calzone after they are formed from punched down first rising. The formed calzone filled have to have vents made into. I do this a fork right after forming. You don't want to mess with them or handle much or the 2nd rising is disturbing to the form shape of the calzone. I just use a spatula even though I have a peel. The pizza peel is used when I make Za though. Note: Stone has to preheat to 500F, then another 20 minutes to let heat soak into stone without anything on it. Then reduce to 450F and it takes 15 to 20 minutes for these big calzones to cook fully and nice crust browning on top. Second batch again same process to load heat into stone to get it ready. Oh, the recipe is on the scans with credit given from other scans of mixer company. I put half unbleached white flour and half whole wheat flour as a change from what they say to use. Have not need the special bread flout with more gluten.

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Calzone with corn? Recipe required MT, PLEASE.(^)

Sorry to here of your of gluten intolerance Rick. Your gluten free pizza platform is worth a try. Pizza crusts as a rule are just a platform/carrier of the flavorings.
MT's calzones have my interest alot.
Tom
I made some cranberry apple pies and used store bought Gluten Free crusts. It was not that I specifically wanted Gluten Free, just that I thought I was getting close to the Marie Calender brand type crusts they sometimes have in the market. I wanted butter not palm oil. Turns out the Gluten Free crust had palm oil, but I like it.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks MT I can & do use the gluten free flours for a little baking and "safe" artificial sweetners for baking pies and enjoy these a few times a year. I don't over do it, but do enjoy an occasional treat.

Rick C.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Second pizza crust slowed its rising some by putting in the refrigerator. It is seen behind right side rolling pin ready for rolling. The oven is only good for cooking one pizza on a preheated pizza stone at a time in the oven. I started making the second crust and had the toppings on both pizzas, but the one I did first was risen a bit more than the other. When I went to put the first pizza in the oven I chose the wrong one. I tried my best to take the heavily loaded pizza back off the 500 F preheated stone and back to the count top. I managed OK without spilling it or having too much disturbing the shape of the crust. Waited again for stone to heat again and all worked out OK for both Zas.
Put one in the freezer for later. Next time I may make 2 pizzas from one crust recipe. I like thick crust but maybe it is too much. OK maybe 2 crust recipe for 3 pizzas next time as a compromise.

50/50 Wholewheat to White Flour, Marina Sauce, Mozzarella & Cheddar, Salami, Mushroom, Spinach, Onion, and 3 colors Bell Peppers.

Have not tried forming crust by hand in the air. Freezer wrap paper second pie to store in freezer for later. It is fully cooked, but needs reheating. Now that I think, maybe could have made a boboli crust. You cook the crust with nothing on it. Later top crust and cook all together one more time. I don't have soggy crust even without this method, but maybe it might be best to freeze boboli crust that is fully cooked with uncooked topping. I'll see how this reheats as a whole pie from freezer?

IMG_20200912_235403205_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200912_211809300.jpg
IMG_20200912_230545904_HDR.jpg

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I have an old bread machine I dusted off. Seems I never used it much as a lot of the settings to make recipes for bread types use two or even three risings. The length of the rise times seems to me to be way too much, so then the bread does not come out right. The rising on the 2nd and third time has it deflate. The same settings for the white bread with blueberries I used after just one rise. Before the one rise I hand mixed the blueberries. I took it out of the machine and put it the steel core aluminized loaf pan which was buttered. I let it rise just one time then baked at 350F for about 40 min. I would have tried to use the machine to bake it in but it does not allow to edit the settings. Only baking up to 10 minutes and the it shuts off. It would be possible for me to keep hitting the bake only button enough times to cook it after using my desired one-time rise, but the shape in the loaf pan and how it makes nice but un-burnt crust is a plus. The difference between using a stand mixer with dough hook is that it does not have the preheat mechanism. It is easy to clean and also the loaf pan as well.

Not sure if there are bread machines that allow user to program the way the settings are? Adjusting the amount of moisture to prevent deflation after rising, I tried to no avail. I sort of think they did not get the bugs out of the machine. I don't think I am interested in trying another purchase of these things.

Maybe there is something I am missing about how to use the machine, but I did RTFM.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I have an old bread machine I dusted off. Seems I never used it much as a lot of the settings to make recipes for bread types use two or even three risings. The length of the rise times seems to me to be way too much, so then the bread does not come out right. The rising on the 2nd and third time has it deflate. The same settings for the white bread with blueberries I used after just one rise. Before the one rise I hand mixed the blueberries. I took it out of the machine and put it the steel core aluminized loaf pan which was buttered. I let it rise just one time then baked at 350F for about 40 min. I would have tried to use the machine to bake it in but it does not allow to edit the settings. Only baking up to 10 minutes and the it shuts off. It would be possible for me to keep hitting the bake only button enough times to cook it after using my desired one-time rise, but the shape in the loaf pan and how it makes nice but un-burnt crust is a plus. The difference between using a stand mixer with dough hook is that it does not have the preheat mechanism. It is easy to clean and also the loaf pan as well.

Not sure if there are bread machines that allow user to program the way the settings are? Adjusting the amount of moisture to prevent deflation after rising, I tried to no avail. I sort of think they did not get the bugs out of the machine. I don't think I am interested in trying another purchase of these things.

Maybe there is something I am missing about how to use the machine, but I did RTFM.
Ever use cast iron to bake? It's worth the effort to learn. It was the way everything we ate was cooked in. Stew, fry, bake or roast. Each meal....morning, noon or evening. Cast iron it's what pans are made of!

Rick C.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I use cast iron mostly.

I have two large skillets a Dutch oven a two-burner rectangular griddle and assorted small cast iron pans.
Oh, forgot cast iron muffin pan. I heard you can preheat the muffin pan and then put the yeast dough in. I would be wearing those steam protective ovgloves as that seems dangerous.
I have recently been also using a Airfryer that when doing more than what fits in for potato pancakes and cheese steak fries, removing the crisper basket to remove cooked items and add more, it’s scary.
One thing I'd say is do things methodical to be safe. The 400F hot crisper basket you have a hard time grabbing those handles. I'd just make sure I have and area clear and move slowly.
The attachment for pressure cooker I tested but not yet cooked with it.
I have lemon mint from the garden so I want to try the food dehydrator function and make tea.

Attachments