How do you maintain your chain?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by psprat496, Mar 25, 2010.

1. psprat496

psprat496 New Member

Chain recently snapped on me and not sure why. Wasn't going too fast but it just gave up and broke in one of the links. Wondering how you guys maintain your chains. What kind of lubricants? How about tension?

2. Nougat

Nougat New Member

Tension, I think, should be between 1/2" and 1" on the bottom side. I spray some chain lube on mine from time to time, but I know people use motor oil and 80W90 gear oil, too. More important is making sure your sprocket is on straight, so the chain isn't getting pulled too tight on every revolution.

3. TerrontheSnake

TerrontheSnake New Member

LoL secret about lubrication for chains. I used some super synthetic 2 stroke oil chain has no wear looks brand new and rides like brand new, this stuff is so slick you can't even use it for the break in because your engine will never break in. Its the trick for maintaining chains because thats exactly what you want with a chain no metal wear or as little as possible anyway. This oil I have will not wash off with dish soap, it only comes of with orange goop or other similar cleaners, good stuff for chains I swear by it.

#3 TerrontheSnake, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  4. TerrontheSnake

TerrontheSnake New Member

Tension is still the most likely culprit here though, check your sprocket, my first came bent right from the factory which caused a gnarley tight spot on every rotation, bad news bears there.

5. psprat496

psprat496 New Member

So you think I had to little tension? Cause the chain would bounce around and start vibrating like crazy once I hit 25. I was going 17 when this happened. Anyways, I got a new chain and a couple bottles of lube from my bike shop just to make sure it won't happen again.

6. Nougat

Nougat New Member

Not so much too little tension as uneven tension as the wheel turns, due to an off-center or badly manufactured sprocket.

7. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

I use chainsaw bar oil. 3/4" free play at the middle of the top run, and as other mentioned check for tight spots. If you can't get the tight spot out, get it close and measure it when it's there.

8. psprat496

psprat496 New Member

Well hopefully this sprocket adapter I have coming from MM will solve my sprocket off center issues so I'll be able to have one set tension.