Hoot rebuild testers!

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I am aware that most don't think the hoot is worth er.. well.. a hoot. But I think that there are a lot of people sort of stuck w/ them unless they want to junk their kit and start over.

I don't anticipate buying any more hoot kits unless they prove to be reliable w/ my rebuild. I honestly have no idea how many people have these gb's.

I rebuilt mine and it is now very quiet and I'm going to ride it and check it to see how it is doing regularly.

So if anyone is interested, I will rebuild for free (you pay shipping) 4 hoots for the 1st 4 people who repond. This way I can get a better idea if reworking the clearances will make enough difference.

Also if anyone has working hoots that they don't want I will pay shipping to get them. I would like to try heat treating the gears and testing that as well.

PM me or reply to this thread, Thanks! The bike pic'd has a hoot just in case you don't know if yours is one.

Attachments

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
I've wondered about the Hoot's, heard them talked about here. It's my first time to take
and up close look.

I took the photo TS posted and went in close on it to examine it.

Here it is for others benefit.

Attachments

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
So I heat treated the 1st set of gears tonight! Seems to have worked. I held them red hot for 2 hrs, packed in charcoal and bone meal, and quenched them in h2o. They have a nice ring to 'em. I'll temper them tomorrow and get it back together later this week or so. So we will see!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
So, Hoot's back together! It's quiet and road worthy. I road it 10 miles today w/o incident.
I'll check in on it regularly for wear, but shimming and hardening have definately helped!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I'm sorry to say that I've been so busy that I've forgotten to update this post. I not only had very little interest in this expirement I learned all I need to know about the Hoot.

Like the Aussies kept trying to tell me, it is garbage (cactus), and it is not worth a hoot!

Thanks IrishJohn and Fetor.

But I'm glad I played w/ them a bit 'cause I learned some things about the Honda and the "Washing Machine" motors and their current drive systems that I might otherwise not have.

Check out our new transmission prototype in the Swap and Shop http://motorbicycling.com/f23/firebelly-4-stroke-hard-box-transmission-7086.html

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Right,

Should say I am hearing good things about the new ones.

Way off topic but found a thing you sent way back. Gonna be cool for the Rube Goldberg build thing Joe.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I give away so much crap, I forget about most of it! ;)

In fact, know anyone who needs a couple of Lionel Train transformers? all I ask is shipping cost.....oh, maybe this should go to the swap and shop!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lead sheet, light and some odds and ends. Really gonna come in handy for what I have in mind and thank you again!

Ha, could we go further off topic? Some one will yell at me. You being "GodFather" will get a pass. lol