HOOT GearBox replacement?

GoldenMotor.com

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
It appears to me to be very similar to one of the inexpensive gearboxes that are offered on some of the inexpensive pocket bike motors availabe frome china. I believe the internals are actually a 2 sprocket chain reduction drive and not actually a gear box like the original Hoot, Grubee or some of the Scooter gearboxes available. I believe the reduction is in the neighborhood of 3:1

ocscully

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I've got one ordered so we'll see! It's a little early for math but I think 3:1 is for pocket bikes and would make a larger wheel geared way too tall..sno.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2008
I've got one ordered so we'll see! It's a little early for math but I think 3:1 is for pocket bikes and would make a larger wheel geared way too tall..sno.
Be sure to post a review. Also whether the claim of silent is true...(would have thought it would be, so long as the chain is taut)

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Will do. They come in about 6 days Beijing - Seattle (wow). May be a couple weeks before the bike is painted and back together though.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I've been thinkin' of all those options, but if this works, it's the cheapest. I can't compete w/ this if I fabricate anything. But possibly a cam chain off the crank/cutch to a Jack shaft would do the trick for a comparable price. But no housing so lube is an issue. Maybe grease and a cover. No matter what the gearbox issue is coming to a head. 4 strokes are awesome but the current boxes are not.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
I've been thinkin' of all those options, but if this works, it's the cheapest. I can't compete w/ this if I fabricate anything. But possibly a cam chain off the crank/cutch to a Jack shaft would do the trick for a comparable price. But no housing so lube is an issue. Maybe grease and a cover. No matter what the gearbox issue is coming to a head. 4 strokes are awesome but the current boxes are not.
I asked this question over at the other forum, Do you anticapate the need for an additional adapter like the one made by Staton-Inc. to fit this new reduction box to your Honda or clone motor. The reason I ask is that just recently I've seen photos of the Huseng/clone motor that comes set up like the Dax Titan with a partially shrouded clutch and 70mm bolt pattern. This is the same set up as the various 2-stroke motors that come with a 76/78mm clutch and also the Subaru 35cc. I think the box you are getting is a direct bolt up to these motors. But the Honda and clone motors available to us here in the states do not have the shrouding cast into the left side of the motor and the bolt/mounting pattern is larger, and there fore will very possibly need an adapter like the one Staton-Inc offers. I look forward to future updates of this project.

ocscully

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Use as small as you can, output sprocket and as large a rear sprocket as you can find. I have been watching that box for a while. The pocket bikes have a small rear wheel also, and the sprocket is near as large as the wheel. Have fun, Dave

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I bought the box from the factory that sold me the motor kit w/ the hoot; this is their updated box for '09. It should bolt right up. I understand that the "grubee" huasheng and the honda have a bigger o/p shaft but same bolt pattern so if this works you should be able to keep your clutch and add this reduction box to those motors. I'll have the box any day now and the bike completed next week, stay tuned!

Jun 25, 2008
One does wonder that if you could extend that out put shaft and have an extra support you'd have the beginnings of a 4 stroke shifter kit

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I got it a coupla days ago, 1st off it is cracked, 2nd it has a tiny sewing machine chain driving it unlike the duplex roller in the pocket bike picks and 3rd the clutch drum is smaller and they didn't send friction shoes. the bolt pattern is the same. Also it is 3:1 reduction w/ a larger 12 tooth sprocket, doesn't seem right. According to my math I get a top speed of 48.9 mph @ 7000 rpm which wouldn't be very useful.

I'll upload pics of the inside in a few I've got to resize pics on another comp.

Attachments