Honda GC160 max rpm with

GoldenMotor.com

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hello. I would appreciate some different opinions on the maximum rpm a stock Honda GC160 can run at with only the governor removed, and is the governor removal similar to removing the governor on a GX series engine? Can the piston hit the valves when the valves float on the GC engines? I've read that valve float on the GX series is a safety measure. I like the look and weight of the GC160, I'd like to run it at a 9 or 10:1 reduction ratio at 5000 or 5500 rpms with only the govenor removed to get 37-40 mph while being reliable. Thank you for any responses. I appreciate it.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have used the GC160 before and blew the top half of the motor off after floating the valves, I resolved that issue on the next one by running a CVT and keeping the rpm's around 5000. Seems the bike would only pull to about that RPM and would run about 45 tops.
I like the look of them also, just make sure when mounting you secure the top half of the motor to keep the vibration and twisting from happening.
014.JPG

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Thank you CulverCityClassic for sharing your hard-earned knowledge, how you corrected that problem, the correct mounting information and the nice pictures. I just didn't realize all of that. I thought I could secure the backing plate of the jackshaft or CVT to the seat tube to prevent vibration and twisting you mentioned. It makes more sense to secure the top half of the engine.