High powered engines

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Robby, May 18, 2012.

1. Robby

Robby New Member

Hi all. I'm new to this forum but have been searching through it for months. I'm thirsting for good info so decided what better to do than join up!

I'm planning a build, and decided to buy a single speed urban/MTB bike. Disc brakes a must. I'm considering a Stg 3 motor from 'Rock Solid Engines' as they are an Aussie company. But the more powerful motors out there have cought my attention.

My big question is has anyone fitted a euro air-cooled pocket bike motor like a BZM 420/620, Polini Elite 14 or similar to a bicycle? I'm trying to work out how it would perform without a gearbox. My quick sums say it will do over 60mph with the most practically attainable 6/80t gearing with a 700c wheel. Would this make it a real pig to ride?

I have looked at the Dax 50/Morini style motors and the case size makes them "look" really...well.... Illegal.

I work as a race car engineer (fabricator) so anything is possible for me to make, but I want to be realistic with what I do. Noise is not so much of an issue as I can fab silencers.

Cheers guys

2. socialdistortionkid

socialdistortionkid New Member

Welcome,
    The BZM or Polini Engine should work in a a bicycle but it would be a tight fit. You would have to custom mount the radiator also. The Dax 50 engine is a clone of a KTM. The Morini engine is from Italy. They are all similar in some ways and should all be very reliable. Find a expansion chamber for your motor.

Good luck on your build. This forum is very helpful.

Chad

#2 socialdistortionkid, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
  3. Robby

Robby New Member

Thanks for the info Chad.

I have been looking at the air cooled motors so as to not have to worry about mounting radiators. I also reckon the air cooled pocket bike motors also look like a little bit more like a China girl type motor. I have been researching all different types of motors, from Preditor 99cc, to BZM Micro, to Cags to HT's. I'm really trying to find a powerful motor that could visually pass as a humble "motorized bicycle kit". Time to do it I me thinks!...