High Performance Wally World Cruiser?

GoldenMotor.com

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Decals all removed and cleaned up! Paint is quite scuffed up from the motor and gas tank. Just regular wear and tear though.

Decals didn't want to come off in one piece.

Just getting prepped for the weekend so I can not waste time on it! Still need to transfer the wheel over to the disc brake rim and inflate it up. Got everything kind of sorted out to maximize weekend time because I got other stuff to do in Illinois than just build a bike!

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
What ya might wanna do while yer doing everything else is to pack all the bearings with new grease. I like using a high grade marine grease. It resists getting flushed out by water a lot better. Might as well do it now cause once ya get it back together it'll prolly NEVER be this far apart again. Pedalcrank bearings get a lot of rain water splashed on em. Yer gonna get caught in the rain eventually and ya know it.
fatdaddy.usflg

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
What ya might wanna do while yer doing everything else is to pack all the bearings with new grease. I like using a high grade marine grease. It resists getting flushed out by water a lot better. Might as well do it now cause once ya get it back together it'll prolly NEVER be this far apart again. Pedalcrank bearings get a lot of rain water splashed on em. Yer gonna get caught in the rain eventually and ya know it.
fatdaddy.usflg
I might check it out while I am in there. Never really gotten into the pedal crank before. Bike hasn't ever been ridden in much moisture so I am sure it probably won't be that big of a deal. Been thinking about replacing it actually due to the pedal stripping out and me having to have it welded back on...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
another thing you may consider also if you do replace the cranks is a set of the wider cranks like BGF sells and then get you some good steel or aluminum pedals instead of the plastic ones, I've broken multiple plastic pedals on these motorized bikes, first ones I broke were the stock Huffy type like you still have on your bike, a broke pedal at the wrong time can cause injury and possible a low speed wreck which could cause injury also, the pedals take a beating on my bikes so i like to have something other than the plastic ones myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/bicycle-Mot...427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c746c01cb

Like fatdaddy said, the bike is basically bare and easy to flip on its back right now so this would be an excellent time to make sure all working parts are lubed very good and adjusted correctly, much harder to do these things once the engine and fuel tank are on the bike.

Best wishes and I hope you're able to get a pile of things done to your bike this weekend, the weather here in central Texas was a sunny calm 67F yesterday but today it's windy, overcast and currently 33F @ noon and the wind makes it feel about 20 freaking degrees...!

Since I don't have my wood stove set up in the shop yet... I'm not gonna be working on a bike today, suppose to be back up to about 80F by Saturday and mid to upper 70's on Sunday but I have to work all weekend so maybe I can get something done Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
another thing you may consider also if you do replace the cranks is a set of the wider cranks like BGF sells and then get you some good steel or aluminum pedals instead of the plastic ones, I've broken multiple plastic pedals on these motorized bikes, first ones I broke were the stock Huffy type like you still have on your bike, a broke pedal at the wrong time can cause injury and possible a low speed wreck which could cause injury also, the pedals take a beating on my bikes so i like to have something other than the plastic ones myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/bicycle-Mot...427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c746c01cb

Like fatdaddy said, the bike is basically bare and easy to flip on its back right now so this would be an excellent time to make sure all working parts are lubed very good and adjusted correctly, much harder to do these things once the engine and fuel tank are on the bike.

Best wishes and I hope you're able to get a pile of things done to your bike this weekend, the weather here in central Texas was a sunny calm 67F yesterday but today it's windy, overcast and currently 33F @ noon and the wind makes it feel about 20 freaking degrees...!

Since I don't have my wood stove set up in the shop yet... I'm not gonna be working on a bike today, suppose to be back up to about 80F by Saturday and mid to upper 70's on Sunday but I have to work all weekend so maybe I can get something done Monday or Tuesday.
I'll definitely look into a different crank set. That one you linked would that work for my cranny? I just don't know too much into the mechanical aspects of bicycles yet. I think I'll go forward and get that crank, but I don't think I'll be able to get it here in time before the bicycle is put together. Motor is easy to take off though and put back on so it won't be that big of a hassle. I guess if that wider crank doesn't come with pedals I'll have to look into some of those as well!

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Talked to the bike mechanic about widening the rear of the bike and he said it shouldn't be a problem and should be pretty easy. Might leave the bike bare for a little while after I paint it to get the gears set up right. Need a master link for bicycle 410 chain so I can just reuse the chain that came on the mountain bike.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
In fact I may as well bring the bike down there and see if they have anything in the name of cheap cranks and cheap pedals as well as a master link. Been getting decent deals there so far why not continue! Guys are going to think I am crazy for putting so much into a cheap cruiser bike.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Talked to the bike mechanic about widening the rear of the bike and he said it shouldn't be a problem and should be pretty easy. Might leave the bike bare for a little while after I paint it to get the gears set up right. Need a master link for bicycle 410 chain so I can just reuse the chain that came on the mountain bike.
unless he'll widen it for super cheap or free I would just do it myself, I do mine and it only take 5-7 simple pieces to do the job which can be found at most any hardware or auto parts store.

and can be bought for less than $10 for all of it.

A length of 3/8" all thread rod that is at least a little longer than the spread between the rear dropouts.

Two 3/8" Nuts

Two-four 3/8" ID Flat washers, regular is fine but the larger OD fender washers work great also.

thread nuts onto rod about 4-5" apart, slide washers onto rod on outside of nuts, slide rod down into rear dropouts with bike on it's back resting on seat and bars.

use a 9/16" or 14mm wrench to rotate nut on one side while simply holding rod with other hand and you will start to spread the frame.

you will have to spread it a bit farther than you will need it to be when tool is being used because the frame will spring back a good bit when tension is relieved by backing the nuts back in.

Very simple process and just simple Shade tree mechanic common man tooling is needed.

and yes those cranks will work fine on the Cranny, just in case you dont know this the threads on the bearing tensioning nut on pedal cranks has LEFT HANDED THREADS, so turn as though you would be tightening a standard nut or bolt to actually loosen the thin nut and the cone shaped bearing race/nut.

Those cranks probably use pedals with a 1/2" shaft so finding them is really easy and some good one can be found for $10 or less.

Hope this helps a little.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
That's the plan. I just mentioned it and he verified that my method would work. At the moment I have some left-over m8x1.25 thread I am going to use because of a stripped head bolt on my PK80 that I fixed. I still have a good foot and a half of it left to use so that's the plan.

Also just mounted the tube/wheel onto the six bolt rim for the front. Quick release will be awesome for when I need to put the bike in the car! Just mounted it onto the v-brake fork for ease of moving it around when needed until tomorrow.

Last thing I gotta pick up is some 6mm bolts for mounting the caliper to the fork and then I should in be in brake city!

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
After thinking about it I am going to widen out the rear today and just take off all wheels and leave the frame bare until this weekend. I don't plan on riding it and this will make it easier to load up into the trunk with all the other junk. Picking up my sisters doggy for a week to babysit while I am in Illinois and will need to back seat for her.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Ended up widening to 160mm (the rim I will be using should be about 125ish mm give or take) and undid it and it landed at 125mm. That'll do just fine I suppose.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Ended up widening to 160mm (the rim I will be using should be about 125ish mm give or take) and undid it and it landed at 125mm. That'll do just fine I suppose.
There ya go... that is exactly how I do it, I like to put 22T or 24T single speed freewheel sprockets on my multi speed wheels and use the wheels on bikes that were originally designed for coaster hubs, this is how I spread them out, simple and works great.

Here is one of the bikes I'm currently working on, it was a 700c fixie bike I picked up new a couple years ago for $50 on clearance, I put some older American made 26" forks and a older Wald front wheel and a New 26" heavy 12ga spoked wheel master wheel made for a multi speed sprocket set, I just spread the frame and put a 24T single speed freewheel sprocket on which makes for what I consider a perfect ratio for me, this bike will have caliper brakes front and rear and will be a simple clean build if it goes as currently planned.

Attachments

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Nice looking bike map! Nice big frame for a motor there! Probably pretty light too! I am about to load up the bike in my car just to be prepped for tomorrow. Got the rear sprocket off and everything organized. Even took off the wheel and tube in the rear for preparation for the mountain bike rim that is in Illinois waiting for me on my spare bike! Just need a master link for the chain. I just plan to keep it a single speed in the front and a six speed in the back. Should ride pretty nice! I like being able to assist at 30mph- in certain conditions. Just makes the motor feel like it's got twice the power! Also I think for the time being I am just going to chop off my SBP exhaust and weld on the snake exhaust until I can figure out the pipe routing. Who knows it might just stay like that. It'll be set up like the way you had it, but routed to the right and under the seat.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Nice looking bike map! Nice big frame for a motor there! Probably pretty light too! I am about to load up the bike in my car just to be prepped for tomorrow. Got the rear sprocket off and everything organized. Even took off the wheel and tube in the rear for preparation for the mountain bike rim that is in Illinois waiting for me on my spare bike! Just need a master link for the chain. I just plan to keep it a single speed in the front and a six speed in the back. Should ride pretty nice! I like being able to assist at 30mph- in certain conditions. Just makes the motor feel like it's got twice the power! Also I think for the time being I am just going to chop off my SBP exhaust and weld on the snake exhaust until I can figure out the pipe routing. Who knows it might just stay like that. It'll be set up like the way you had it, but routed to the right and under the seat.
Sounds like a good plan, who knows that big pipe may do just what you want it to do on the header pipe you already have, time will tell once you get it done, and you can always change it later if you feel it needs a change, thats what I do, trial and error, sometime more error than anything else but thats how I learn what works bets for my wants and needs, I'm not one that follows the herd easy or blindly, I like to tinker and try my own ideas along the way as well as do some of the proven things that cant be refuted, to me that is part of the fun and there is always some little something extra to learn normally.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yeah, the bike has the perfect frame configuration for motorizing with the HT engine, it's fairly light weight but its a very rigid feeling frame with nice smooth three piece crank set.

With a good smooth running engine it should make a nice rider for sure, the more I mess with it and look at it the more I'm thinking I may keep this one for myself....LOL!

May clean up and sell one of the other bikes since this one will be hard for anyone under 5'8" to ride, I have two or three more cruiser framse that will make good builds that I may strip down and build up for a seller bike instead of this cool looking "Green Machine" bike Green like this is one of my favorite colors and that is a bg draw ofr me to keep it also...

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Thanks Shan. Appreciate it. You'll have to keep me posted on your builds as I don't really navigate the forum too much.

Just loaded up the bike in the back of the car and got a box of motor goodies all set-up as well. I plan to get the motor together this weekend and the bike together, but I may not get the two together until I get back to Missouri because I may not even get to ride it so I may as well have something to do in missouri in my spare time.

To-do list:
Get fork/discs/wheel mounted on bike
Get mountain bike rim on bike with wheel
Get gears working properly
Lighten top end of motor
Port Cylinder jug
Get exhaust figured out
Make gaskets for intake and exhaust
Paint motor
Paint bike

Not in any particular order

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks Shan. Appreciate it. You'll have to keep me posted on your builds as I don't really navigate the forum too much.

Just loaded up the bike in the back of the car and got a box of motor goodies all set-up as well. I plan to get the motor together this weekend and the bike together, but I may not get the two together until I get back to Missouri because I may not even get to ride it so I may as well have something to do in missouri in my spare time.

To-do list:
Get fork/discs/wheel mounted on bike
Get mountain bike rim on bike with wheel
Get gears working properly
Lighten top end of motor
Port Cylinder jug
Get exhaust figured out
Make gaskets for intake and exhaust
Paint motor
Paint bike

Not in any particular order
You're welcome YILDS

I know how it is... just do the best you can, it will all come together for you soon

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Haha I got time and there is no pressing matters on completing this! It's a nice hobby at that!
Yep it is a nice hobby, I have others also and kind of bounce between them on a seasonal basis kinda, I always consider my bikes as being one that is always enjoyable though and is on the top of my list most of the time.