hi, newb here trying to learn

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bobby, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Masterm222

Masterm222 New Member

You should have no problem getting a 26X3.0 on a stock 1.75 rim. I have 3.0 tires on stock width 20 and 24" wheels. The problem you are going to run into is drive chain clearance. Caliper brakes may cause another problem. I have had that problem with 2.125 cruiser tires(chain rub). One cure, drive sprocket placement and motor offset from center. My cure was jackshaft and gears, disc brakes. Cycles U.S. has the 3.0 tires. I am sure many other places do too. Also, the adaptor kits to use a three piece crank have worked good for me. Then you can use a sealed cartridge crank bearings. They come stock, wide one side or both.

2. bobby

bobby New Member

great info again. im going to run 26x2.35 front and back. maybe 26x2.5 idk yet. but i am going to run a rear drum also. so i would have to buy a chain tension kit? or could i mount the sprocket outside the frame?

3. Masterm222

Masterm222 New Member

I have always thought the stock chain tensioners in the kits are junk. Have you seen the new spring loaded chain tensioner at Pirate Cycles? Kipspringer? In after market parts. Thing is, whatever tensioner you use you still have to keep chain aligment correct!

4. bobby

bobby New Member

140$ is out of my range. so how will a chain tensioner help keep chain off tire? could i use a slide made of plastic? as a spacer and a guide?

5. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

6. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

7. bobby

bobby New Member

i was worried aout the crank and original pedals. i think 26"x2.5" will rub stock chain. is their a kit that pushes the rear hub out to clear bigger tires?

8. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider