Hi! I'm Weedy!

GoldenMotor.com

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Hi! I'm Weedy! I like people I hate WEEDS!

*Must see picture one to visualize topic and bike. ***My visualized knee jerk reaction to the motor end of page.

The patients were still pending when this vintage Weed Eater was manufactured in 1971. One label reads Tecumseh Engines Lawson Power Products 3 hp.

CL seller had two of these mondo size weedeaters listed. I watched the ad for a week; tormented. Finally contact seller via email - seemed to be more than a day and a half before - a response. Bad news, a buyer had purchased the one listed at $45. Seller delivered the other one and a box of misc parts to my office on Sunday night. Weedy's cost $40. She was tested for compression and spark before transaction. No attempt has been made to light her.

Would welcome input form all. Specifically any on its use as a transportation power house.

Rumored to accept pit bike transmissions. Rumored to be restricted to 4,000rpm. Rumored to be easily adjusted to make 9 and over 10hp.

These rumored things are exactly that to me. RUMORS.

Any member leads out there personal with karting experience back in the day should know this engine. Powerbee comes to mind. There is a lot of history in this engines roots.

I have myself been on some chainsaw driven go-karts. Only I was a small child back then and by the time I was old enough to get into the engines deeply my Dad was done playing with us kids.

***Just fell in love with Weedy on the case when picked it up. I am picking up a yellow worksman frame later this week with some damaged miss mached worksman wheels; packaged $65. Current visual flashing in my mind is Worksman Weedy yellow frame green tires etc.... I just laugh every time I look at the sticker! Hay ya'll the Green Hornet was green and yellow so whom ever is snickering - you can just knock that off! And don't call me a packrat either! Engine's cool and my plan is to finish using it.

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Looks more like a Westbend/Chrysler Powerbee...I think the Tecumseh sticker is something someone put on later.

And yes, you can get 12hp out of one.

What is the serial number? That will tell a lot.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hay i have one of them now i have another bike motor.

They were also used on ice augers Jiffy i think,might be some others Mighty Mite .........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
No,Never thought about useing it until i seen this post. Mine is on a saw blade brush cutter. I do have other 3hp tecumseh off a snow blower that i will be useing first....Curt

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
New rumor: There is a read plate from the lawnmower version you can add and run 2 carb.
New rumor: Adjust the timing 12 degrees for 9hp
This was a comment I read. Is ths reasonable?

Found this on another fourm.
To make then a bit more powerful i would recomend to enlarge the exhaust port(side ways) raise compression a smal amount, clean the transfer ports to get rid of the drilling marks that they left behind at the factory(you will find 2 tranfer ports that then split into 4(2 in each side) and the exhaust has 3 ports

Once again I know nothing about this. I am looking for input.

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Ok found this gearbox that I believe will work. Cost $25. The bolt pattern does line up. But there will need to be a 1/4" spacer fabricated. Open to all ideas of material/s to make a spacer from. I have basic shop tools, drills etc.

Pictures show the fit/s Bolt pattern is the same. As you can see there is a 1/4"gap where a plate is needed. The clutch when installed is almost flush to the end of the output shaft, its just sitting there in the picture 1/8" low. From what I gathered online the gear box is 5:1 reduction.

Attachments

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The spacer should be made out of aluminum, doesn't have to be perfect around the edges as long as it fills the gap evenly and doesn't interfere with the clutch.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Tecumseh AV520 670-01 2 cycle engine 30547A Points, 30548B Condenser, 30560A Coil (T-man).

Weedy should have a reed valve plate where carburetor bolts on. These often become rusted and do not seal properly. Labrat Weedy did not come from a snow blower, she was not exposed to the same environments. Her reeds remain uninspected at this post.

Reed valve is part # 470139A....DISCONTINUED by Tecumseh in 2007 (T-Man).

But will this become problem now? Unknown. They can be found on the internet from time to time. The old engines are not to hard to come buy and its easy to see having a few for parts. (Never give up) Quit when ready always served me well. If ignition problem are all that exists....NEW points and condenser will usually
do the trick

Credit
T-Man Dec 13, 2009 Small Engine Technical Forum