Hi from the UK

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Petherwin Bpy, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Petherwin Bpy

Petherwin Bpy New Member

Hi guys. Just found this forum and figured it was right up my (slightly crazy) street!

By the way, in my haste I typed bpy.... it should be Petherwin Boy (Any chance of putting this right or do I need to re-register?).

I have several old 'bikes but I really fancy making something that resembles a turn of the (20th) century motorcycle, so here's hoping I can find some inspiration here! cvlt1

2. Chaz

Chaz Active Member

Welcome from the colonies. You'll find tons of builds to look at here. Follow the build threads to give you an idea of what you are in for. There's a lot of beautiful bikes in your style in the Board Track Racer section.

have fun

3. WECSOG

WECSOG Member

Welcome to the forum, Bpy! laff dnut

4. Ludwig II

Ludwig II Well-Known Member

Petherwin, where are you? I'm in Brum.

Bist 'ee in Kernow?

5. Petherwin Bpy

Petherwin Bpy New Member

I am in Kernow, where Brummie accents abound :)

6. Ludwig II

Are you intending to use it on the road, and do you know the rules regarding home brewed motor vehicles?

7. Petherwin Bpy

Petherwin Bpy New Member

I haven't even thought about it TBH. I like the idea, and I have a vision of what I'd like to do. I have a fully equipped workshop and time on my hands as I'm retired. As for regulations, I know things ain't easy, but I'd be prepared to fight my way through them IF it was worth it. Conversely, I live in a very rural part of North Cornwall where you could ride a homebuilt contraption with little chance of being spotted! :)

8. Ludwig II

It's good news for you. SVA is merely a super MOT. Depending on Low Power Moped/Moped/Motorcycle classification, you have to have various requirements fulfilled. 50cc, 1kw/1.3 horse and 16mph flat out on a vehicle capable of being pedalled is the minimalist way to go. If you went trike or quadricycle moped qualified, then the intriguing option of 4kw non-spark ignition engine is available. Nothing in the rules prevents hot bulb ignition petrol engines, if you don't want a diesel or steam engine.

I have 2 slow projects on the go. One is a bicycle with a minimoto engine over the back wheel, that may go through SVA, I don't know. The other is the creation, using pre-existing parts and documents, of a Genuine Vintage Fake, to be titled the Gravis Et Lento.

If you haven't already looked, there's a section full of pictures, with all sorts of ideas and solutions. http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Look up also the works of Cannonball2 and his 90 degree direction changing belt drive. An engine may be bulky one way, but narrow if you sidestep convention.

#8 Ludwig II, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  9. Petherwin Bpy

Petherwin Bpy New Member

Thanks for the info Ludwig. I have a few motorbikes on the go so this is 'interest only' at the moment although I really like the idea of creating a local pub/shopping bike!

I bought the bikes before I retired, figuring I'd just restore them all in a serial manner... wrong! I seem to spend most of my time doing woodwork to complete our barn conversion or keeping things like strimmers and mowers working. In fact, I found my way onto this site via online inquiries about Villiers 11C motors (I have an Allen Scythe powered by one which I'm rebuilding).

10. xseler

xseler Well-Known Member

Howdy & welcome to the clubhouse!!

11. Ludwig II

If you want a 2 speed 98cc fan cooled late Villiers, Doug Pinkerton has one kicking about.

12. Petherwin Bpy

Petherwin Bpy New Member

Thanks, but no; the 11C I have is fine :)