Heres the bike I chose..

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, if there is a China-Girl kit open on your coffee table, you might be a MBer.

I can't get over the $500 to put a kit on a bike. I am in the wrong business. When asked to help some one put one on, I charge them in beer and make them put it on and just offer advice. 2 reasons. They get to know it and know when some thing is wrong. They are responsible. I get to watch some else work while I drink their beer. OK, 3 reasons

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have re-written this reply 4 times over. Im getting a little hostile/peeved. The money is not the issue. I want to build it. The stupid comment about buying locally is what started this aspect of the conversation. Yes, i would rather build to my specs and have it cost me 1000 if its what I wanted. But buying a bike off a dude with a free website that dose not even work is not going to happen.
Settle down my Pterodactylus, no need to get hostile or peeved over a what I said, just so you know you could of purchased your kit local at a good price but then again you did not know. Next time....

Just so ya know I am not the dude with the free web site selling bikes, but I do have a website that does not work...laff

All aside from the bad start on my part, if ya need anything or help I am local...

CCC

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
I ended up going to pick up a friend and when I pulled up there was a UPS truck out front. I figured, what the ****, and asked the guy if he had a my box on his truck. I showed him my ID and I went running home with my kit. Its been a few hours and a few adult sodas and it nearly done. I have a few issues that I need some help with. I might as well post it here for anyone following this thread. From the engine there is green , black, white.. From the Ignition bow there is blue and black and the kill switch has black and yellow.. The instructions are wrong and do not have the wire color combos in them.. My thought was from the engine to the ignition black to black green to blue, white goes to the yellow from the kill switch and the black lead goes to ground. I will include a crappy diagram lol.

and the clutch has got me all messed up. I am used to clutches that have a spring in them. This clutch seems to just rotate a rod with a flat spot on it. Dose this sound right. Also with the clutch linkage to the lever are you supposed to bend the adjustment screw open and slide the linkage into it?

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I stole these instructions from another post here, but it explains how mine wired up:

--------------------------------------------------------
Connected black CDI wire to black engine wire.

Connected blue CDI wire to blue engine wire.

Snipped-off engine white wire "not needed unless running a headlight, not recommended as it robs engine ignition power requirements"

Connected the two kill switch wires to the remaining two holes of the CDI terminals. "Color code not important".
--------------------------------------------------------

The white wire supplies 6V power from the motor for lights, people usually just cap it off and do not use it, figuring the little HTs need to keep all the power they can for spark, lol.

My CDI wires ended in what looks like big female spade connectors. One on side of the spade connector you insert a wire from the motor, the other side gets a wire from the kill switch...

Hopefully that helps make things a little clearer, assuming your kit is set up like mine was.

And grats on finally getting your motor in!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
YeHaaa Bamm! I did 2 jobs today and kept checking email hoping your kit cam in.

Maurtis is exactly right, the white wire is a fifth nipple on a cow.

The clutch is a prehistoric, simple affair. There is, no kidding hundreds of threads on it. You are not alone and it will work.

LOL, wait until you try the rag joint!

"The 5 stages of motor bike building;

1. Antisipation while waiting for your kits/parts to arive.

2.Hair Pulling trying to get the universilly fitting kit, to fit your bike.

3. arguing with the chain.

4. Getting the rag joint/sprocket on right.

5. Rapture the first time you feel and hear "Veroom""

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
Dan and Maurtis thanks for following along.. So from what I Understand the kill switch will go to my blue and black wires off the ignition coil. I have not put my meter on it yet but my assumption is that the kill switch is normally open so pressing that button shorts out the power and ground to the coil and in turn stops the engine. Right?

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
LOL, wait until you try the rag joint!
I took apart the coaster brake and dropped the pieces and could not put it back together. I took the rim back to the shop I bought the bike from and he offered to do the rag joint for me being as he has done it 5 times before.. So I say go for it. Ill pick it up tomorrow and hopefully fire her up tomorrow afternoon

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Nice Choice on bike. I used the Isla Vista with red wheels I tried to order the copper too but they discontinued it tentativily,at that time i ordered, because they tarnish and look rusty over time, as per owner of 3G. But because of popular demand they stayed with it. I wouldnt of minded polishing them :)

At the end of this month they are coming out with all new colors for the bike line. I talked to the owner while he was in Taiwan working out the details. I am holding out for those. He also mentioned a hub adapter for motorized bikes being sold through them you may want to check that out to see if they are doing it. Seems he wants to have a good bike for MBers.

Here is the link to my 3G Isla Vista finished:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=38410

I am going with the Venice next too but I got to verify the monark II forks will fit on it first.

Can you measure, or do you know the length of the head tube?

I was also wondering what the down tube diameter is. Is it 1.505 inches like on the Isla Vista?

Is the seat tube diameter 1.13 inches on the venice like the Isla?

The standard hub on rear tire Isla rim was 1.522 inches is that the same?

The stock tires were actually really beefy on the Isla but I changed them out to the Specialized Hemisphere Sport Black Belt 26 x 1.95. I guess they have a kevlar belt inside and are wire reinforced at the rim.

Hope you will answer those questions it will help a lot! I look forward to following this build! I think they are super sweet bikes!

If ya wanna hit me up feel free this is my 2nd Isla build both went smooth.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Dan and Maurtis thanks for following along.. So from what I Understand the kill switch will go to my blue and black wires off the ignition coil. I have not put my meter on it yet but my assumption is that the kill switch is normally open so pressing that button shorts out the power and ground to the coil and in turn stops the engine. Right?
Correct. And good call on letting someone else handle the frustration of the rag joint! I tried for an entire day to get mine straight, but it was always off just a little. I gave up and just ordered a hub adapter from Pirate Cycles instead, lol.

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
I forgot to give the guy at the bike shop the three metal plates for the back of the rag joint.. He told me to bring it down at 10 AM (1 1/2 hrs from now) and he said he will get it on/aligned pretty quickly. I am a little nervous about it though. Im having a cancer stick and a cup of go juice, after that ill drag the bike out for some pictures.

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
Can you measure, or do you know the length of the head tube?

I was also wondering what the down tube diameter is. Is it 1.505 inches like on the Isla Vista?

Is the seat tube diameter 1.13 inches on the venice like the Isla?

The standard hub on rear tire Isla rim was 1.522 inches is that the same?
I have to ask you a few questions before I can answer any lol. To find diameter its circumference divided by pi right? Good lord its been a while. lol. You are putting long forgotten parts of my brain back to work, Im just a dummy tower climber. Im gonna have to get back to you on all that info. Im on a one track mind to get this bike going.

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
Its too sunny outside, and too dark inside for good pictures this is all I was able to get.. It looks much better in person. In fact I almost did not want to post a pic for that reason but here it is so far.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Yea diameter is the measurement across the circle. The circumference is the measurement around the circle. I hoped you had a caliper to measure the diameter otherwise it is really hard to guessimate by measureing with a tape.

If you do not have a caliper and did have a measuring tape they use to taylor a suit( flexible cloth type) you could get a close estimate I suppose.

Looking at the picture seems the stock motor mount fits the down tube so thats 1 /18 id guess just like the seat tube.

Still curious on rear wheel hub though.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Oh yea forgot what was the head tube legth? I want to put monark forks into that bike i wonder if it wil lwork...

thanks!