Help: Skate Board Wheel

GoldenMotor.com

Friction

Nov 25, 2008
On planet Earth
Well I was looking for a drive wheel in town today and I went to one of these skateboard shops and
I asked how much it would cost me for a skateboard wheel for a drive wheel for my bike
and i said it was for a project and i only needed 1 so he said o ok and he had like a garbage box of old skate board wheels which worked fine 4 me so he grabbed 1 the requested amount out of the box and then he nocked in some bearings into the wheels and he gave them to me for a GREAT PRICE OF $0.00 dance1 well i took em home and took them to my engine and sure enough IT DIDN'T FIT OVER MY SHAFT:-|| Is there anything I can do to make them fit on my shaft or should i huck em out an buy myself a a bmx peg??

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Is there enough room on that bearing to drill the right size hole through it? Been a while since I've seen a skateboard wheel and I can't even envision what the setup for them is anymore..............wow, I really must be getting old!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I would think that you do not need that bearing in the skateboard wheel. You need a solid connection from shaft to wheel.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
get rid of the bearing for sure. Your problem with a skateboard wheel is making a solid connection to the shaft.

You can drill the skateboard wheel with a spade bit to a size so that you can wedge a bolt into the interior. Then you want to weld a couple of nuts together that are the right size to cap off the bolt. Put a flat washer and lock washer onto the bolt the run those nuts on. weld one more nut that is the right size to fit your shaft onto the nuts you have on the bolt, then run it down onto the drive shaft with some thread lock. That should do it.

Be sure to get the nuts lined up centered so the whole thing wont wobble. Best to weld all nuts together before you assemble it.

Last edited:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
dude get rid the bearing- don't ruin it with drilling YOU don't want the bearing
take them out save them for fun use later
if yo leave the bearing in there it will just spin and you won't go anywhere lol

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Yeah leaving the bearing in would allow the shaft to spin without spinning the wheel. You want a solid connection there.

capturedbyrobots

Jul 24, 2008
I tried the skateboard wheel as a spindle.
It did not work well for me.
It chewed up the tire so fast.......
I switched back to steel and have been very happy.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just put a skateboard wheel on an emotor and it vibrates because I don't have it centered. I thinkI'm going to switch to caster plastic wheels. I used one before and liked it pretty well on these slower reving motors.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I still don't see the advantage in leaving the bearings in, I have a sneaking suspicion that the bearing case might turn inside the wheel. But I have had terrible luck with skateboard wheels. I'm just not detailed enough I suppose.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I think you're right deacon. Bearings in skate wheels are just pressure-fit. Since there's nothing actually twisting the wheels on a skateboard, this is acceptable. This wouldn't be acceptable for our applications though.

Friction

Nov 25, 2008
On planet Earth
Now i have the problem of getting the bmx peg
were du u buy bmx pegs??

.duh. went to walmart and they had a peg but it wasn't knurled so thanks 4 that!! :-||

Last edited: