Help Please, mounting 4 stroke to Micargi stretch

GoldenMotor.com

dgm099

Apr 12, 2016
California
Howdy folks,

I'm a mechanically inclined noob and I'm afraid I'm gonna be full of questions over the next month or so. I'm an old time schooler that likes his ducks in a row before beginning a project.

I wish to motorize my Micargi Puma and will do so using a 4 stroke kit. I read azbill's post about his bike and will probably steal a number of things he has done, but now I need opinions on the motor mounting.

Referencing the attachment: (please be kind about my wonderful MSPaint rendering)

1...Green is washers and nut...which will work here, nylon lock nut, or nut, lock washer and washer...with or without loctite?

2...Is thickness of steel plate OK?

3...If I use muffler clamps (do you have a different suggestion) I have read within the forums basically "don't use rubber between pieces" but in a different post, there was use of fuel line, slipped over the U-Joint (orange part) to protect the frame.

4...Blue and purple areas, should anything be used here to cushion or protect the frame?

5...The distance between "A" and "B" will only be the height of the clamp. I can use (like azbill did) idler pulley to route manual chain under plate, but is there an acceptable, strong enough way to increase that distance?

6...Last question for now, lol, should I be concerned with the plate rotating along the long axis, and if so, would a set screw in the center of the plate going thru the plate and into a drilled hole in the frame be enough to hold it solid?

Lots of questions for first forum post huh (except my intro post)?

Looking forward to your opinions and expertise.

Thanks folks.

Attachments

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
My 2 cents if you mount like that it will most likely lean to one side or another. Get some angle iron or metal bed frame. Cut 2 pieces length will be Fromm seat tube to front down tune. You will be using the angle iron for a mounting plate. They wil be mounted opposite of the picture so It is open underneath. Now cut 2 pieces of iron to fit width front and back. Bolt them to bottom or top of mount iron. Next you will use 2 muffler clamps One front to down tube and one in back on seat tube. so you basically built a rectangle. I will look fo more pictures.

Attachments

dgm099

Apr 12, 2016
California
hmmmm, That's what I thought might happen (the leaning part), that's why I was wondering about a set screw. Was wondering if that would fix the problem.

So, I should use the seat tube and the down tube (where it actually sweeps upward) and make my connections there so the chance of rotation on the long axis won't happen huh. Ok, I get that.

Thanks MotoMagz, I'm heading to the garage to see how I can make what you suggest work for me.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
If you know a welder just get the 2 angle iron pieces that make the mount welded to seat and down tubes....good luck