Hello from Mn.

GoldenMotor.com

lonewolf65

Sep 10, 2017
Hello , well I'm a newbie to all this.. I recently got my new huffy beach cruiser, I have put a front brake on it and have finally built a bike trailer converted from a 3 wheeled stroller. The motor kit a ebay special, yep I know will need upgrades, I just wanted to get up and running before the snow flies....
From here I guess I will start reading the stickies and go from there before I start re posting a bunch of threads.. Then I will start with the questions.. Again hello all and safe riding to all!!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome to the helpful hardware place.................hmmm, that sounds oddly familiar........

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Welcome to the forum. I am a minnesota member also.
Where abouts are you located lonewolf? I'm north of Mpls 20 minutes.
I've built about 23 bikes now including some huffy cruisers, so if ya need anything let me know.
You should add a squeeze brake to the back also as the huffy is already set up for it. You just need a double pull handle for the squeeze brakes. Then you will never have to use that coaster brake ever. A good engine mount spring chain tensioner and a Cnc 1.5 " hub clamp sprocket These parts will give you total trouble free dependable and safe miles.
Here is what I use on huffy cruiser builds below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1080-style-old-school-BMX-or-
Cruiser-extra-long-reach-brake-calipers-SET-SILVER-/321859132582?hash=item4af04c9ca6:g:idkAAOSwgQ9Vnr6P

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunlite-One...504798?hash=item4af685349e:g:MtMAAOSwLVZV5mvd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Tooth-CN...779825&hash=item3ac7a9941d:g:v4wAAOSwnLdWtUe7

lonewolf65

Sep 10, 2017
Thanks. I hoped there was something like a dual pull lever... I ordered that a cable and the rear brake. At least.i hope it's a rear....lol. Previously I already ordered that same sproket kit and a better carb, a pipe and will make the chain tensioner... Thank a bunch for the links!!! While I wait for parts I'll.do a motor breakdown and check the ports for burrs. And do and port.matching as needed... Oh and also a boost bottle kit... Hopefully will break 30 mph... I'm a lighter guy (155 lbs) so hope there's a good chance...

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
IMG_0580 twin BTR s.JPG
Glad to hear your getting some more goodies for your bike Lonewolf . The NT stock carbs are actually hard to beat for reliability and simplicity and easy to dial in if needed. I'm just happy if my motors run smooth/ LOL/
AIMG_0570.JPG
View attachment 95908
I have a couple of high powered Vtwin Motorcycles if I want to go fast. I never feel comfortable going over 25 on a lightweight hard to see bicycle. I look at these Motorized bikes as mainly a pedal assisted Bike, whereas you can sit back and relax safely plodding along at 16mph and enjoying the fresh air and scenery, and not have to pedal, but still look at it as a Bicycle with a cool cheat motor.

These engine kits are also cool to implement them into
early antique looking Motorbikes from 1903-1929 kind of look, using Schwinn Panther or Worksman bike frames as example, here are two of them I recently completed. I am also close to done on a dark red Huffy Cranbrook bike with electric start and auto clutch. I just need to finish the Cranbrook up, all it needs is a wide Pedal crank set and install a battery somewhere. Its an addicting hobby for some and certainly I am hooked.

The key is to have a bike running smooth and reliable and then go for custom stuff in my humble opinion. Having a Chain hooked to a true CNC hub plus sprocket and a good skateboard wheel spring loaded tensioner ( easy to make if you have the tools) and good front and rear brakes. Grease the heck out of your rear Hub often too. This stuff is key in all my builds after trying one without the right stuff, I learned my lesson fast.

I also always add a LED tail light and headlight to all of them. You can certainly break 30 with a 36 tooth sprocket, but as you know you will give up torque. I run 40 tooth as they seem to be a good compromise. Lots of guys get 40 plus and if you add a jack shaft kit and have a 3 speed internal hub you can hit 50 plus...Yikes on Bikes... Post some picts of your Build.

Last edited:

lonewolf65

Sep 10, 2017
Glad to hear your getting some more goodies for your bike Lonewolf . The NT stock carbs are actually hard to beat for reliability and simplicity and easy to dial in if needed. I'm just happy if my motors run smooth/ LOL/ View attachment 95907 View attachment 95908
I have a couple of high powered Vtwin Motorcycles if I want to go fast. I never feel comfortable going over 25 on a lightweight hard to see bicycle. I look at these Motorized bikes as mainly a pedal assisted Bike, whereas you can sit back and relax safely plodding along at 16mph and enjoying the fresh air and scenery, and not have to pedal, but still look at it as a Bicycle with a cool cheat motor.

These engine kits are also cool to implement them into
early antique looking Motorbikes from 1903-1929 kind of look, using Schwinn Panther or Worksman bike frames as example, here are two of them I recently completed. I am also close to done on a dark red Huffy Cranbrook bike with electric start and auto clutch. I just need to finish the Cranbrook up, all it needs is a wide Pedal crank set and install a battery somewhere. Its an addicting hobby for some and certainly I am hooked.

The key is to have a bike running smooth and reliable and then go for custom stuff in my humble opinion. Having a Chain hooked to a true CNC hub plus sprocket and a good skateboard wheel spring loaded tensioner ( easy to make if you have the tools) and good front and rear brakes. Grease the heck out of your rear Hub often too. This stuff is key in all my builds after trying one without the right stuff, I learned my lesson fast.

I also always add a LED tail light and headlight to all of them. You can certainly break 30 with a 36 tooth sprocket, but as you know you will give up torque. I run 40 tooth as they seem to be a good compromise. Lots of guys get 40 plus and if you add a jack shaft kit and have a 3 speed internal hub you can hit 50 plus...Yikes on Bikes... Post some picts of your Build.
I am attempting to find work in the Brainerd area and relocate. A much nicer place to live than Columbia Heights MN.
Thank you for all the help so far!! I am sure I will be asking more Questions as I go....
Any special advice on working the head to improve performance , first off I just plan on removing burs and cleaning up the ports...
And matching the openings... Again Thank you all for the nice and prompt welcome!!!

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Brainerd is one of my fav cities, gateway to Minnesota wilderness, so hope the relocation works out for you.

The stock head can be trued up using strong glass and some med sandpaper...then fine paper to get the compression ridge as straight as the glass. Check the search function for sanding the head. Or get a higher compression Cnc thick style head. Starting can be a little harder but they do add a tiny bit of hp and the extra mass keeps the motor cooler. Other than that a NGK spark plug and NGK non resistor spark plug wire and boot also seems to help make things run better.

lonewolf65

Sep 10, 2017
Good morning all... well got my head and cylinder all prepped for putting back together, I made a makeshift ring compressor and when I got home I realised it was too big. I had the thought of useing some aluminum sheeting and a hose clamp. The clamp was too big to compress the ring, so like a dummy I tried to east it into cylinder and well I did what I hoped wouldnt happen, I broke the ring... Today I am gonna try and see If a local small engine shop will have a replacement ring and if they will also help my re install the cylinder, unless someone here has a better option for my plan... I have a 50 cc chine girl motor, and certain specs Ill need before I call a shop??? Thanks everybody for all their help!!! Any help locating a ring will also be helpfull.... Any certain store the may carry them on the shelf??? harbor freight is china friendly...??? lol I may just buy a ring compressor to make my life easier...

Well called 2 places for a ring no luck at all...

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Bummer, I'm 99 percent sure you will need to order piston rings specifically for a china girl off one of the sponsors here . No tools are needed to install it. Check you tube out on procedure. They are supper cheap to buy and get fast.

Or

Hope this helps

lonewolf65

Sep 10, 2017
....Thank you ill watch the vids just to learn more time to find a vendor who has a china girl ring...

Last edited:

lonewolf65

Sep 10, 2017
Well so far I have received most of my upgrades. I placed my order at bikeberry for a set of rings and new gasket's. Order was placed Thursday yet still hasn't shipped... Grrr....from my research I assume I should wait till after break in to attach the hp carb and banana pipe????? Would be nice to add now and tune it once,tho tuning will be an ongoing thing for a while.. I hope to add some pics later today. I have made my own chain tensioner (Duluth style) .. I guess my biggest question now is. Is it ok to add the hp carp and banana pipe from the start or wait...

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
You should only do one mod at a time after the bike runs good for a bit. Otherwise you will never know what helped or hurt performance, in my humble opinion. More than one mod at a time is asking or confusion in trouble shooting.
Run the Ike stock for a while and get it sorted out first is always my advice.

Reactions: lonewolf65

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I hope Bikeberry ships your order one of these days...maybe it will go out Monday.
They will send you a notification by email when it ships. I've had no probs with their shipping stuff out, but they are worthless after the sale and shipping if somethings missing or wrong.
I wrote many letters one time about some missing components in a kit and they responded at first and kept asking me to send photos of the parts I was missing.. even though I gave them descriptions and exact names. When got them the component photos from the internet, they would then not answer any more emails, so i just finally gave up with them. Not sure how they sleep at night sometimes.If it was me Id order another set Monday eve from a different company if they haven't shipped by Monday as they are cheap and it will give you some insurance. Stuff comes from China and if they are out of stuff it can take months to get it. It is why I keep a spare CDI, Magneto, clutch pads, NT Carburetor, throttle cables, clutch cable and a spare chain etc. Its all here ready to go on my shelf. no down time.

Last edited:

lonewolf65

Sep 10, 2017
I went to the site and checked my.order there just to see if maybe they missed sending the shipment details... They have shipped the parts and hopefully will be at work tmo... I am considering ordering a higher cc kit.. and use that next yr seeing that the engine block does not say what size motor is. So I could use my 50 cc invoice for my bigger engine.... Lol. I don't think they will take bike just to tear down and positively identify cc size...lol
In the future I may try a different vendor with better ratings... And maybe more knowledge.. thank you again for the help!!!

lonewolf65

Sep 10, 2017
Ahhhh well reassembly went well, I have a question...... Is there a "sticky page" Not sure what a sticky is, well on some forums they use a sticky thread to post answer to regularly asked questions that have become a known norm. For example a thread listing the standard torques for a x.x.x. motors and possibly a standard break in proceedure.. miles, oil ratios.... ok oils might be hard due to so many brands and opinions. Gear ratios.. ect... Yes a guy can search .. but some may just post questions that have been asked and re asked so many times. Ziptie has been a awesome help to me so far.... Now that I am ready to put put motor into bike and go from there... I wonder about that needle in the carb do i set it one notch upas I remember reading somewhere?? or do i start in the middle and go from there... I hope to get this thing going in the next few days here... Colder weather is approaching fast here in minnasnowta...lol
Thank you all who have offered assistance to a newbie you all seem like a great bunch of ppl....!!!