Hello from middle Georgia

GoldenMotor.com

boatshoe

Dec 1, 2017
I'm boatshoe, aka Steve B. I accidentally found this forum, while looking at scooters. I didn't know there was so much interest in motor bikes. I have one, built on a Trek mountain bike frame. I have around 50 miles on it, and am getting jumpy, wanting to run it harder, but also want to break it in properly. Got it up to 32 mph today, for a short run, but on 16/1 87 octane gas, it seemed about topped out, but i know from the sound, that it should do more rpms, broke in, and with a less oil mixture, and 93 octane gas. I bought the kit on ebay, for about $90, and it seems to be ok.

I have already had some of my questions answered, just lurking around, and am very appreciative of the info. , so I joined up. I have recently retired, and have always wanted a motor bike, since I was a kid, and this little 2 cycle motor is, I think, the answer to many people, like myself s wants. I first built an electric, 1000w bike, and it really moves, but I was always wondering how far from home I would be, when the batteries petered out? So I invested a little more, and got the gas, 2cycle 66/80cc. Now I have 2 motor bikes. Have thought about putting the 1000w electric motor on the front wheel, and keeping the gas motor on the back. (just a thought, am not really going to do it)

My question is: What is the max safe speed that a 26" mountain bike can travel, along an average road?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy and welcome to the site!

Safe speed is a relative term based on the components of the bike, ability of the rider, and most importantly --- the brakes. A stock kit seems to be able to do about 30mph with little modification. Some easy to do mods are finding the correct jet for your carb, expansion chamber exhaust, and smaller tooth wheel sprocket. With these mods, plus a Fred Cylinder Head (I use 50:1 synthetic oil in my mix. This has been used since the 2nd tank of fuel almost 5 years ago.), my 26" cruiser has hit 45mph as verified by GPS. I can say that 45mph certainly seems faster than 100mph on a regular motorcycle! A comfortable cruising speed on my bike is in the 32 to 35mph range.

Reactions: boatshoe

boatshoe

Dec 1, 2017
Howdy and welcome to the site!

Safe speed is a relative term based on the components of the bike, ability of the rider, and most importantly --- the brakes. A stock kit seems to be able to do about 30mph with little modification. Some easy to do mods are finding the correct jet for your carb, expansion chamber exhaust, and smaller tooth wheel sprocket. With these mods, plus a Fred Cylinder Head (I use 50:1 synthetic oil in my mix. This has been used since the 2nd tank of fuel almost 5 years ago.), my 26" cruiser has hit 45mph as verified by GPS. I can say that 45mph certainly seems faster than 100mph on a regular motorcycle! A comfortable cruising speed on my bike is in the 32 to 35mph range.
Thank you for the nice reply, and info. I guess I need to search for Fred Cylinder Head, and figure out what that is. Also, I figured that the 300 miles breakin period was a lot long. :ride:I also wonder if the cruiser type bikes are more stable than mountain bikes...heavier, longer wheel base, bigger tires, stronger spokes/ wheels. AND, How do you post pics on this forum?:confused:

Thanks, Steve B./ boatshoe.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Welcome boatshoe!
When it comes to stability of the ride, I can say Diamond frame Mtn bke or Curvey Cruiser- whatevever the frame, you will get best stability with Engine mounted as low in frame as possible and Big Spoked heavy wheels. I am a Worksman Wheel fan. $$$ Heavy wheel rims w/11g spokes. Big Drum Brake in Front / Shimano coaster Brake Rear. Keep the weight of things low in frame. Worksman Cycles have changed there website and have made it impossible to click and buy. You must place your order over the phone. Husky is another great place to buy wheels from.
Sturmey Archer Front Drum Shimano E-110 Rear coaster brake both laced w/12 gauge spokes
About 235.00 delivered to me @ my door.
Post pics by the button in the center says "Upload a file." This will put a pic in your post. You can create an album of pics on your User Home page. This is where the randoms come from when you first sign in. Explore, learn and share.
Good Luck to you.

Reactions: boatshoe

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, as stated brakes are the first major upgrade that I needed. Brake pads wear out fast after you motorize your bike, MX style brake pads have proven more durable than the basic pads from big box stores. You will see more power after a couple hundred miles, just remember to do a walk around before you ride because thing will loosen up due to vibration.