Hello from Florida

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dart, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Dart

Dart New Member

Hi to all... been following some threads in the forum for some time now and thought i'd pedal up from 'Lurksville'.

Been thinkin' about installing a motor to my ol' Schwinn 'World Sport' but have some doubts and questions.

Had it for half my life ... i'm 50 now. Was purchased with the thought of upgrading in the future. After well... probably thousands of miles, I never felt I needed a better one. The Chromolly frame and alloy everything else makes for a truly effortless ride.

[​IMG]

However, I have not been using it as much as I used to and after accidentally stumbling into 'motorbicycling'com, I thought i'd give it a try.

What concerns me is the tire width which is 1 inch. Don't know if I could add a wider wheel with tire to it or just leave the narrow one on there. My plan was to disable the gears and make it a single speed first... don't want all those added cables once I add a motor.

any suggestions and guidance for my decision ?

2. joabthebugman

joabthebugman New Member

At last go with the wider hybrid type tires. I have the 50's version of that bike that I will someday put a motor on

What part of Fla

3. Dart

Dart New Member

I was told today that not much I can do about a wider tire. The width @ the rim is .925". A tire width more than the one on there now will not accomodate :(

There is barely 2 inches space at the top between the fork. I think I could get away with a wheel rim diameter of maybe 1 1/4 - still close tho.

Don't think the extra quarter inch width is worth all the effort. Maybe I'm better off getting a new bike for this project.

btw joabthebugman ... 40 miles north of Tampa - Spring Hill dnut

4. Fulltimer

Fulltimer New Member

Hello from Saint Augustine!

Terry

5. Dart

Dart New Member

Hello Terry ! ... from the oldest city in the U.S .flg.

6. moonshiner

moonshiner New Member

Howdy Dart ...welcome to the forum..dnut

7. Dart

Dart New Member

hey moonshiner - Thanks ! :D

8. treyoh5

treyoh5 New Member

hello from miami, good luck with your build!

9. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. We're glad you've joined us.
    I have a 1974 World Sport hanging from the ceiling in my basement. It was bought new from Mack Cycles in Miami. (I still have a 'T' shirt from them) Has probably less than fifty miles on it and looks like the day I brought it home. I've never considered motorizing it because it's just too classic and would be a stiff ride. We oldersters tend to go for cruisers with fat tires and soft seats.
    Good luck with your project and we're always here if you need help or advice.
    Tom

Attached Files:

#9 2door, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  10. Dart

Dart New Member

Hello treyoh5 - Miami, lived there for many years ... still miss it :)

Thanks Tom ... That looks like mine did before I changed the handlebars and seat ! - I bought mine 25 years ago and it was a used bicycle back then...crazy thing, but I still can't find a good substitute for it.

#10 Dart, Jun 6, 2011
  11. NEAT TIMES

NEAT TIMES New Member

Hi Dart

Welcome and have fun.

Personally, for reasonable cost, dependability and awsum performance I am impressed by the current builds using HF 2.5 to 6.5 horse power 4 stroke motor`s with the comet cvt drive. The motor and cvt will be less than $300. with a coupon at HF sale time. jmho

Ron _________cvlt1 PS; Two curent threads by COBRAFREAK & CULVER CITY CLASSIC`S.

#11 NEAT TIMES, Jun 6, 2011
  12. Horacio

Horacio New Member

Hello and welcome Dart,
    First I would love to say I love your bike, I have one similar back home, and I plan on motorizing it as soon as I get a chance, I currently have a hybrid bike with about 1-1/2 inch tires "don't know the exact size, but they are little bit wider than a 10-speed's. I love having skinny tires, but the bumps don't bother me much, but I would personally recommend getting another bike for the reason that it is your first build. I and many others had made many mistakes on our first build, cause it is a learning project. So find a cheap bike that you don't care if you mess up, scratch etc. and let that be your project, save that beauty for when you know the ropes a little more.

I'm glad my bike is back home, because the hybrid i bought here in Korea is torn up, scratched and not very presentable, just usable.

Ultimately it is your decision, but i would recommend to have a project bike first.

Good luck!

13. Dart

Dart New Member

@ Ron - Thanks Ron - will checkout the 4 stroke motor`s w/ the comet cvt drive and the 2 threads u mentioned.

@ Horacio - Thanks for the advice - you may have saved my bike's life - lol

been looking @ a $99 - 26" Ocean Pacific cruiser for my first attempt ;)

14. treyoh5

treyoh5 New Member

99$ cruiser builds are cool
    [​IMG](mine)

15. Dart

Dart New Member

oooh yes, that's what i'm talkin' about :p !

Delmar ?
    ... love the seat ! ? ...details pleeez :D

#15 Dart, Jun 6, 2011
  16. treyoh5

treyoh5 New Member

yes its a delmar and that seat is for sale!
    here the link to the thread i started in the MB pics section with all the little details
    http://motorbicycling.com/f15/new-member-new-build-30189.html
    since then i bought a nice bouncy springer seat by schwinn changed the drive chain (original popped) added a mirror and changed my front tire to match the rear.

17. Sanction

Sanction New Member

Hi Dart!
    I'm a newbe to the forums my self just joined a few days ago. I through together a Huffy beach cruzer while I look for a good mountain bike frame.
    Welcome from Ocala...

18. Dart

Dart New Member

Hi Sanction - mountain bike frame should develop into an interesting project .cptr.