• kind of hard

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • needed a map, a guide and a compass!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Hey I’m new here. Built a 66cc bike and put about 10-15 miles on it so far. I’m enjoying the knowledge here but it’s hard for me to navigate bc I’ve never been part of a forum or anything. Can anyone point me to some exhaust gasket help? I’ve blown mine and want to know if there’s anything I can use as a temp replacement while one is shipped
There isn’t really as far as quick fixes go.

Reactions: Khalil Brooks

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
I think you'd be fine without one so long as you don't heat it up too much. The exhaust gasket is really just there to prevent the exhaust pipe from binding to the head or jug under heat. If you really need to run it normally, then you might be able to use a piece of aluminum can and a very thin layer of high temperature grease to get that seal.

Khalil Brooks

May 10, 2020
I think you'd be fine without one so long as you don't heat it up too much. The exhaust gasket is really just there to prevent the exhaust pipe from binding to the head or jug under heat. If you really need to run it normally, then you might be able to use a piece of aluminum can and a very thin layer of high temperature grease to get that seal.
I appreciate this a lot, I was a bit concerned that there might be an issue with vacuum leaks or compression issues from using something else. Do you know what the material is? I’d prefer to buy stuff to cut more gaskets if I can

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
ACE hardware has matieral to cut gaskets, not sure about exhaust, but auto parts stores also have it. Exhaust is usually a asbestos type of matieral.
Compression leak you can sand the head flat with wet-dry sand paper on flat surface, glass, or like a table saw table, mark with sharply, sand till it disappears.......Curt

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Exhaust gaskets are not the same as intake gaskets. Exhausts see high temps and pressure. Using aluminum, copper, or intake gasket material will burn or blow right out. It might work for 5 minutes. An exhaust gasket is made up of a high temp sealing material and a steel mesh to keep it together.

Reactions: Bikeguy Joe

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
ah, I wasn't aware that exhausts are subject to high pressures along with temperatures, I just figured that a high temp grease would help keep the aluminum can piece from burning out. What kind of pressures are we talkin though? Surely it couldn't be any higher than 40psi?

Khalil Brooks

May 10, 2020
ah, I wasn't aware that exhausts are subject to high pressures along with temperatures, I just figured that a high temp grease would help keep the aluminum can piece from burning out. What kind of pressures are we talkin though? Surely it couldn't be any higher than 40psi?
Yeah I’m curious too, temp and pressure ranges would be helpful. I’m often too stubborn for my own good and more info makes my decisions less dangerous

Reactions: xXNightRiderXx

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Yeah I’m curious too, temp and pressure ranges would be helpful. I’m often too stubborn for my own good and more info makes my decisions less dangerous
Exhaust temperatures rarely reach higher than 600F. Although, if your exhaust is running hotter than 700F, chances are you'd need to replace some engine components for some race parts.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
At the port. The port will always give your highest readings, and the exhaust at the end of the muffler is often cool enough to use as a hand warmer on a frosty day.

Brianr1074

Jul 12, 2020
Hello all, I an 1 year old to gas bikes and have 2, 1 is 2 stroke and other is 4 stroke. both I bought used and both had problems, now I am throwing more money at them at getting it going even better, Anyways, Hello all!
bike2 (2).jpg

Reactions: FOG

Brianr1074

Jul 12, 2020
need help, chain keeps jumping, new chain, new build, I cant seem to get the chain in the middle of the sprocket.....

I keep trying different combo with spring tension roller. how do Line it up?

Thanks
B

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
need help, chain keeps jumping, new chain, new build, I cant seem to get the chain in the middle of the sprocket.....

I keep trying different combo with spring tension roller. how do Line it up?

Thanks
B
Sound like a mismatch between the chain and sprocket sizes.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sometimes, the Exhaust Gas Temp. can reach OVER 1100 DEGREES F.

If it's only 6-700, you have a serious problem- like, the bikes not running.

Exhaust gas temperature is usually measured 3-4 inches away from the port side of the piston. Aluminum (depending on the alloy melts at around 1250F if I remember right.) That's why a lean run with toast your engine.

Now- let's move this to the proper forums, this is the Welcome forum.

Reactions: FOG

Kcrunch1

Oct 13, 2020
Union City, CA
Hello, thanks for having me in this forum. I would have loved joining 40-50 yrs ago too. The internet wasn't around though and everything you learned was trial and error. While neighbors gave you the evil eye and co-workers laughed at you, kids pointing fingers laughing. Now every info you need is on your cell. I tinkered with karts mostly 2 strokes, a few shifter karts, motorcycles all sport bikes, and built a few home made recumbent bikes. I used gas and battery kits to motorize a few bikes. I tried chain drive and friction drive and now electric hub motor. My friend is attempting to persuade me to go mid drive because it's what he mounted on his MTB full suspension. Anyhow glad to find group of people sharing our love of similar interest.

Khalil Brooks

May 10, 2020
Hello, thanks for having me in this forum. I would have loved joining 40-50 yrs ago too. The internet wasn't around though and everything you learned was trial and error. While neighbors gave you the evil eye and co-workers laughed at you, kids pointing fingers laughing. Now every info you need is on your cell. I tinkered with karts mostly 2 strokes, a few shifter karts, motorcycles all sport bikes, and built a few home made recumbent bikes. I used gas and battery kits to motorize a few bikes. I tried chain drive and friction drive and now electric hub motor. My friend is attempting to persuade me to go mid drive because it's what he mounted on his MTB full suspension. Anyhow glad to find group of people sharing our love of similar interest.
Any tips on how to get into karts on a tight budget, I’ve always wanted too and never had money growing up to do it

Reactions: Kcrunch1