Hello all

GoldenMotor.com

Madeup64

Aug 23, 2021
I just recently purchased my first motorized bike due to needing something to get around on after my car broke down. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person but I'm also not completely an idiot when it comes to working on things. I am realizing now I should have done some research before I bought one but I was just in a hurry because I was hopeful I could use it to continue to do food delivery or at least absolve me the horror of having to ride public transportation to a new job.

The first picture is right after I bought it. I only paid $300 for it so I did get a decent price it appears.

The second picture is today. I have some questions but I'll post them in the appropriate forum but I noticed that you like to have new members do a hello post first.

I've already read through quite a few posts and realized that it would probably be a good idea to get some input and help from people who obviously are way more knowledgeable and experience at this than I am. I put myself in a tough spot financially by buying this thinking I was going to be able to then use it to do food delivery and unfortunately I've instead put almost as much money into it as I bought it for.

I'll be going to work soon and I work 12 hour shifts so it won't be able to reply until tomorrow. I do have one question should I post my backstory that got me to this point here? Or should I just post that when I post in the correct forum because I have Coaster brake issues and have purchased a tensioner that's not garbage and I'm going to be putting that on.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
.duh.So you're carrying additional weight and only have a coaster brake? Don't sacrifice safety for expense. I refuse to use a coaster brake on any build.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Two of my bikes have coaster brakes, I added front side pull brakes to both and they stop well. Look for 96mm reach and use a high quality pad, my oldest bike is over 10 years old and I’ve never had a coaster brake problem, I always use both brakes together. Keep a close eye on your fenders, they crack near the mounting points after you motorized.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Madeup64 should be able to stop just fine as long as he has a good pair of tennis shoes.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Two of my bikes have coaster brakes, I added front side pull brakes to both and they stop well. Look for 96mm reach and use a high quality pad, my oldest bike is over 10 years old and I’ve never had a coaster brake problem, I always use both brakes together. Keep a close eye on your fenders, they crack near the mounting points after you motorized.
You probably never had a CB failure due to never using the CB alone. However this forum is full of stories about coaster brake failures. Just like it is about fender failures. I personally tell people to remove the fenders unless they've researched how to reinforce them.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I build 99% of my bikes using coaster brakes... The key is to always disassemble the hub & pack it with quality grease... (& of coarse add some kind of brake to the front wheel). ;)

I'd also like to say that all of my race bikes had coaster brakes... I never had any problems on the track either.

Reactions: Greg58

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes I have to agree, I had my first 2 motor bikes back in the 50's only one i ever had fail was on pedal bike when I was about 14. My own fault, not knowing how to take care of it. ............Curt

Reactions: Greg58