Have you ever met someone who could NOT ride a motorized bicycle.

GoldenMotor.com

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I have .
I actually gave my motorized bike to someone who desperately needed transportation to work and back every day.

I demonstrated how it works, then he got on it and fell over sideways.
I asked Do you know how to ride either a bicycle or a motorcycle.

Yes he said.
It went down hill from there on.

After about 4 hours of him riding off and then walking the bike back.

Couldnt start it . Couldnt steer it. and on and on.
He gave it back.
I got on it and drove it around trouble free for about two days now.

LOL. I think he wanted me to give him a car .
No good deed goes unpunished.

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
When I was selling one of my bikes, a guy tried it out who obviously just couldn't get the hang of how it works. He said he knew how to drive a motorcycle. He just couldn't get a handle on the clutch operation. He would drive it around the corner, then come walking back with it. He finally made up some excuse about how he didn't think the brakes were good enough and left. What a moron.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well to be perfectly honest, I was that moron when I first started riding again after 40years. I rode both bikes and motorcycles up until I was in my mid twenties. Then I 'grew up' (stupid phrase I know). So when I went back after forty years and some brain issues my balance was all gone. The first regular bike I rode threw me within ten feet. I scraped my knee and rammed my shoulder into a neighbors house. I was not wearing a helmet. I could easily have been badly hurt but got off with the shoulder and a strawberry the size of a softball.

So yeah I can see how a guy would fall. I was so shaky after that it took me a month to really relearn to ride a bike. I also had to modify and still do my bikes. So yeah I was the moron.

It actually does take a lot of coordination to get all the things working right at the same time.. Not easy to do if you are terrified of the traffic and of falling.

Not being nasty in saying that, I admit I would have looked like a perfect idiot to anyone who saw me flying off that first bike. My wife often told me in those early days how dorky I looked.

Last edited:

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
Okay, perhaps I was being a bit harsh on the moron, I mean, the guy who tried out the bike. I guess it was the bit about the brakes not being safe. I mean, he could have just said that he didn't like how you have to work the controls, or he didn't like the ride, or the fit of the bike, or whatever. Other people have. They didn't try to tell me there was something wrong with the bike. I guess I'm a bit sensitive to criticism like that. I work very hard on these bikes, and I would not think of selling one that had bad brakes, or anything else that made it unsafe. Okay then, he wasn't a moron, just a liar.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
When I bought my bike off of someone was interesting. This was the first time riding a motorized bike.

I already knew how it worked, and he just gave a quick rundown of the bike. he had it set up funky so the left hand brake was activated by squeezing with your thumb. Anyway, I got on and took off. Went round the corner and tried to stop but A) the brakes were just sucky, and B) that wonky left brake threw me for a loop. I got stopped, but I almost ran into a parked car, and I stalled the bike. Started it back up, rode back, told him I'd take it. Took it home, flipped the brake around, adjusted the brakes, and it was great.

:)

I could see how someone might have trouble learning to ride one, but for most people it shouldn't take too long. after 4 hours not being able to do it....I think someone's looking out for that person :)

Honestly though, I think if you're unable to ride one of these because of something other than balance, you probably shouldn't even be driving a car...cars are just as complicated, if not more due to distractions like your phone or radio and whatnot.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I let my son ride because I know he can handle a regular bicycle. My Daughter rode Cronus but she stayed really slow most of the time and broke my throttle to boot.
I let that one dude ride Cronus at the bike shop cause i wanted to try that auto 3 speed bike.
That's about it.
Oh and Duane (DAX) too.
He can ride my bike any day.
Nobody I don't know how they are.
I think this is why I have refrained by starting this build/sell venture. I dunno if I want the headaches. The repeat comebacks. The worn clutch after only one week because they didn't know you shouldn't try to do burn outs. The damaged rings because riding down a steep hill full throttle is cool.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My wife convinced me not to build and sell bikes. too many would be back when the gas tank was dry and they stopped at the hop in to fill up from the pump. ECT.

Oh I really wasn't trying to pull your chain. The brake thing would have upset me as well. I would never send anyone off with a set of bad brakes too much invested in the bike to do that.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
With 3000 thousand some up miles it just urcks me to see the clutch ran wrong. I let one of my old buddies ride this thing ran him through the probs . He was gone for a half hour. I looked down the street a few times expecting to see him limping walking it home. At the time, then time I had been riding so religiously I could not find my car keys to look for the guy. I now tell tell the new comers to prove they figuerd the thing out, before dissapeering. hears a new one let a stranger try it and watch it dissapeer over the horizan. not to come back sorry for the spelling tierd lol.

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I let my son ride because I know he can handle a regular bicycle. My Daughter rode Cronus but she stayed really slow most of the time and broke my throttle to boot.
I let that one dude ride Cronus at the bike shop cause i wanted to try that auto 3 speed bike.
That's about it.
Oh and Duane (DAX) too.
He can ride my bike any day.
Nobody I don't know how they are.
I think this is why I have refrained by starting this build/sell venture. I dunno if I want the headaches. The repeat comebacks. The worn clutch after only one week because they didn't know you shouldn't try to do burn outs. The damaged rings because riding down a steep hill full throttle is cool.
I also have a lot of people asking me to build them a motorized bicycle.

Xcel

Jul 20, 2008
I cant imagine who couldnt. My girlfriend who is extremely unathletic, uncoordinated in some ways, cannot drive a car without wrecking it , can drive her motorized bike very well, although she occasionally dumps it.

graucho

Feb 21, 2008
Minnesota
I've been riding since I was 4. Bikes, MB's, motorcycles, dragbikes. I still find myself
taking a trip into the ditch from rubbernecking when on my MB. LOL

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
ive got my first kit not to long ago and have been building it in the garage here at work . yes im perty lucky and during the test fit / mock up what ever you want to call it everyone here rode it around . i work for my father . so me my father and my brother all rode this thing forever . then there is dave he probably late 50 early 60 and after 30 minutes of explaining pedal . dump . gas . ridiculas smile where the steps to ride it we would get on push off with his foot not pedal dump clutch engine would not turn over and throw him over handlebars after three times he decided it was best to stick to his truck

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Jason has a good point.

I ride the bike so I don't have to drive a car. My wife swears if I drive my car again she is going to call the highway patrol. I really was told to stop so I began messin' with these bikes.

Wife and I decided that most likely the only person to die in an accident would be me. We could live with that better than me wiping out a family. I'm not joking by the way.

I do expect that one day I will hit a parked car and with the quality of sheet metal and the cost of repairs, I will have to file bankruptcy. Not such a big deal since I don't buy anything but bike parts anyway. I am trying to get a rear view mirror financed at the moment lol.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I have a friend (we'll call him friend1) that really wants to ride my motor bike around the block. My other friend (friend2) said it best when he told friend1 "When you buy your own motor bike and show us that you can ride it, then you can test ride mine." I agreed with friend2 and friend1 doesn't speak to me much for now lol
oh well
I'd rather friend1 be in one piece [size=-1]as well as my motor bike[/size]

dmould66

Aug 3, 2009
ENGLAND
.bf.i paralysed my left arm in a motorcycle crash, ive ridden auto motorbikes and im good on a regular cycle, but i hate to much pedalling, seriously thinking about building one, thinking coaster rear brake, clutch-brake on right bar. choke? what do you lot think anyone met one armed motor bicycle rider

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
the best control setup, in my opinion of course, would be to mimic the controls of a motorcycle as much as possible, after all, people spent a lot of time and money inventing motorcycles and trying out different ways of controlling them, they settled on the current convention for good reasons.

this is how i set up mine: throttle, dual pull brake lever, rear bicycle gear shifter on the right; clutch and front bicycle gear shifter on the left. before i got the dual pull lever i had the front brake on the right and the rear brake on the left, positioned under the clutch such that i could operate both clutch and rear brake at once. didnt use the rear brake much except when i needed to stop one handed... most of the stopping power comes from the front brake though

i stay away from bikes with the backpedal brakes because when riding i'm always adjusting the position of the pedals for more comfort and to turn without dragging the pedal on the ground. with the clutch and throttle, brakes, and traffic theres enough to worry about and its easy to forget not to pedal backwards.

Last edited:

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
My little sister..... I love her because she is my little sister, thats about it... I would never ever ever ever ever trust her on one, she would manage to eff it up real bad somehow....Some how she would manage to kill someones child or something and ruin it for MB'rs everywhere all in a days work for my sis.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
my buddy that took me to pick up the first bike for a build of course had to ride it when i showed up at his house and he was determined so. he sat on it and asked what to do so i said ah whatever. nothin i cant fix haha

so he takes off dumps it and it breathes to life he putt putts down and turns around to come back with the biggest smil on his face goin gfuuuuuck yeaaaaaaaaa bahahahahaha MBS make my days great lol