has anyone though of this yet? throttle lever

GoldenMotor.com

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
i was just looking at a bunch of brake levers for my bike, and i got to thinking, maybe i could use a brake lever as a throttle. it seems plausible enough. practical? or no?

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
I have had to as of late in my custom frame backward engine build. A billet aluminum throttle is 10 dollars or so on ebay and it's on the way

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I have used a bicycle grip shift with the locking mechanism removed as a throttle on my 79cc predator bike. I also used a combination of a thumb throttle and the shift levers on an older build to give me variable throttle for stop and go, as well as 9 speed cruise control for the long stretches.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I see no reason why it couldn't work. Keep in mind though that these things have been pretty well thought out. On a bike, your brain gets used to hand-squeeze=stop. Also, in an accident-situation, you're more likely to white-knuckle...thus you increase the chances of inadvertent throttling with this configuration. Lastly, consider hand-fatigue; it'll be difficult to maintain mid-range throttle, and your hand will be continually applying maintained and monitored pressure.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I have used the short fixie brake levers to run a second carb. Not great but needed independent control. The billet throttles with the same configuration to the kit throttles are by far the best imho not the ones with the clear window that the cable makes a 90 on the top around a pulley but the normal configuration ones. As cheap as $7 if you wait 6 to 10 weeks from China and start at about $13 from U.S. shippers. I try to keep one ordered every month so I have one in stock or coming soon.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Oh and you will need a seperate kill button with most of them if you can't haul in that China girl by letting go of the clutch with your feet down.

scuba602

May 16, 2017
AZ
i was just looking at a bunch of brake levers for my bike, and i got to thinking, maybe i could use a brake lever as a throttle. it seems plausible enough. practical? or no?
my 1st motobike came with a bad throttle (it was the typical, over-the-bar twisty motorcycle type) so after much anguish, i decided to use a brake lever with a joining coupler for the cables. As long as you get the tension correct and it has a good spring, I'd highly recommend using one! I also had a single brake handle that has duel ports (so it pulls both front and rear brakes) aligned just over the throttle, so you can't brake while under load. worked flawlessly, then it got stolen.

but it's the type i'll use from now on!

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
I used a brake lever as throttle control on mine! It works perfectly, just get used to the way that it works.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
On my twin-engined cruiser, I used two throttles, two brake levers and rear coaster brake.
On my present ride, Snow Tiger, I use a right-sided brake lever to operate both disc brakes. Then I use a single left-sided brake lever for the throttle, and a gear selector.
On The Blue Twins, my twin-engined project, I'll probably use two twist throttles, a single brake lever and a gear selector.