hard turn with spark plug installed? help!

GoldenMotor.com

plugpopper

Jul 23, 2016
Pennsylvania
ok, so my new 80cc 2 stroke turns over and sounds/feels fine when the spark plug is out but once it's back in it is very hard to turn. don't think it's a clutch problem because I just had the clutch plate and flywheel off and it still is very hard to turn the crank. Don't have intake, exhaust, or anything hooked up to it. I just have the engine sitting by itself with the clutch plate and flywheel off and with the plug in its not turning easily and would be impossible to pedal let alone roll.
please help me with ideas! feels like too much compression but it being only the engine with nothing hooked up is weird.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
there is no reason to turn the motor until you're ready to start it - at that time, you'll be able to hold the clutch lever until you have enough speed to let the clutch out gently

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'm lost as to what you're trying to do. You say; "clutch plate moves off the pads when disengaged", so I'm wondering if that is the time at which the back wheel will not turn without turning the motor. If that is the case, just a few GENTLE taps with a hammer should free the clutch - or you could take all the pads out and try it that way.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'll have to ask why you took the clutch apart to begin with. That was a mistake. Typically they come from the factory pre-adjusted.

Your friction pads could be stuck, not uncommon, but my guess is your clutch and clutch cable are not set right. I'll edit this soon and post a link for you to read on the correct way to set up the clutch.

EDIT: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726

Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
yea but there is so much compression that my back wheel just drags and it's impossible to pedal, clutch plate moves off the pads when disengaged so I don't think it's the clutch
Keep in mind that you're supposed to pull the clutch, pedal up to a good speed & then 'pop' the clutch to get the engine turning!

plugpopper

Jul 23, 2016
Pennsylvania
figured it out. flywheel was stuck against. pulled all the pads out and cracked it a couple times with a mallet and it freed it up to where it spins now. bike rolls easy now with clutch arm pulled in. ready to take my first ride now but it's 530 in the morning and doubt the neighbours would enjoy the noise!