Hail all -- bearings, bike, & longivity

GoldenMotor.com

guecha

Sep 9, 2008
I have read forums, studied all the kits i can find online, and tried to educate myself on motored bikes. As a kid, I always wanted to put a small motor on my bike... t'was a pipedream. Now, the pipedream may become a reality.

I am retired, tall (6'-8") & weigh over 300 lb. Will I need a dual suspension bike? My biggest question is in reference to roller and ball bearings in chinamotors. Some seem to have them and some... maybe not. What is the most dependable, long lasting purchase.

I want to be able to take 200 mile trips, but I hear people say to run these motors for 30 or so minutes or you will burn em up. Can a chinamotor run for extended times? I hear they can last for 4 or 5,000 miles. Is that based on 30 minute runs or more? Do any of you hit the road with these motored bikes?

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us :)

Well lets see, I've done 140 miles, 100 miles, 70, 60, 50 ,40, 30, 20 and I dont stop every 30 minutes. I have ridden for hours non stop. And this is in the 110deg. AZ heat

But I do take it easy and cruise 20-25mph. I use a good quality 2-stroke oil and do a lot of maintenance to my bike. I have more problems with the bicycle then I do my motor.

I've been running my motor for 5 years and well over 4,500miles. But, I did a compression check the other day and she is getting tiered.

One of the best ways ( In my opinion) to keep these motors running is to leave them stock with no performance upgrades.

http://motorbicycling.com/f30/bicycle-motor-preperation-care-354.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/maintenance-schedule-2686.html

:ride2:

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
hi; im heavy also. i rode a hardtail for two days at the nw ralley and was unable to ride on sunday. i bought a full suspension and it will be pushed by a b/s mini bike. if that doesent work i will build a recumbent trike. why? because i want to ride. mitch

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
With proper oil, decent tuning and proper fuel/air mixture - there is no reason these engines can't go for hours of running after they are broken in. We ride hard, for hours, with no issues. I would say you should learn all the high reliability tips, first. Scour this site!

Suspension is nice. Even if you get front only.