Ground wire on magneto burnt, is this common?

GoldenMotor.com

Kinnik

Jun 20, 2010
Vancouver
Yup. I got a new mag and haven't had the problem sence. I think the mags that come from 80cc motor boys are not so good... or I'm just real unlucky (to have two from them die on me.)
Where exactly would you put permatex silicone gasket maker? is it like silicon sealent and I'd just put a nice glob ON the tiny wire? I'll try that if I ever have problems again.

mobike91

Sep 14, 2010
lebanon, oregon
hey guys, iv been riding mb for quite a while now, long enought to have them stollen lol. well iv run into this exact problem that you guys are talking about. my motor ran great, could pull 45 mph, all of the sudden coming down a hill....it stoped running. couldnt get it to start again that night. next day i played with it some. cleaned carb, changed plug. n checked magneto. well it fired up again but ran real ruff. there was moisture in the magneto. well i wiped all that out figureing thats what it was. well it ran great for a while. took of on it. another down hill. bottom of hill it wouldnt run again =( rode 10 miles peddlin n got it home. hasnt ran since. 2 days not running so far. im going to go home and check my coil to see if thats it. ill write about my findings. n post pictures if i have to. just want to know i got some people there to help if need be. thanks

wil-mobike91

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
ok parked bike last night was fine, got up today pedaled my arse off to no avail I have no spark yet coil and meg check out to be ok on the ohms meter.

One thing that boggles my brain ...I put the positive "red" ohmmeter lead to the white wire "directly off the magneto & the black to the ground "with the stock b lack wire w/ the bolt hole end piece and got the continuity beep.

Now as I understand it , that white wire should not be grounded & it isn't as far as I can see so why am i getting a continuity beep as if it is? I checked the end and it is tapped off nothing is touching so how can it beep the blue wire does not beep when I touch the same ground point but the white one does I'm connecting the red lead from the meter directly orf the mag leads. I checked the plug wire as well as 3 spark plugs I know are good
I should not be getting a continuity beep between the white wire and any ground correct?

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
never mind I figured it out.... some how it was my CDI ! Swapped it with an older one I had SPARK O MATIC!! Nice blue arc too then swapped back the original to see if it may have been a loose connection and no spark again.... put spare back on again Nice blue arc.
Yet I was getting a "good" CDI reading on original the ohm meter in fact the same as the spare s reading I wonder if the screw going to the wire is some how disconnected