Greetings from Portland Oregon, building 1953 Schwinn 24"

GoldenMotor.com

greenephantom

Oct 5, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I'm a long time bike guy and an avid fan of the older Schwinn bikes, I'm pretty active over on the Schwinn Forums. Have been a professional bike mechanic for about a decade, and can rebuild all styles of vintage internal hubs.
Had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while now to build up a vintage 24" Schwinn heavyweight with one of the China motor kits. Figured the scaled down tank and small engine would have better proportions on a smaller frame. Wasn't even looking for a frame when one was handed to me, and I couldn't pass it up. (thanks to Joe at Missing Link Bikes for feeding my addiction) Frame is a 1953, but it will likely be built up as an oversized Stingray with banana seat and ape hangers. This will be a slow build, as funds are a bit tight and the rainy season is setting in.
Attached (hopefully) is a snap of the frame and a diagram of the inside dimensions of the frame. If anyone has experience with mounting an engine kit on a similarly small frame, I'd like to hear from you, which kit did you use, what mods did you have to do, anything that worked well or worked poorly. Or whatever your thoughts are on such a project.
Cheers, Geoff

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome aboard. It looks like you have a cool frame that is well suited for a China motor. Cheers

greenephantom

Oct 5, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I suspected it would fit, but figured I would ask the experts. Glad to know that frame size won't be a problem.
I'm just starting to dig into all the info on this site, lots of great stuff to learn.
Cheers, Geoff