Got my quart of castor Oil!

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I plan on blending up some of my own oils. Just for fun, experimentation and power in my 67cc street eater.

If say I mix the castor oil with Amsoil Saber or Dominator, what percent should I use? I mixed some castor with Saber Thursday in clear bottles at 10% and 20% and nothing weird has happened, no separation or anything. I will do the same with Dominator.

I'm out of gasoline and my leetle tank is low, so time to trudge down the hill.

Bean Oil

Jan 10, 2008
Love the stuff! Hence my username... (p)

You can run the stuff pure, or blend it.

4 oz oil in 1 gallon of gas = a 32:1 mix. I use a "fat" 4 ozs per gallon to achieve approx 30:1 mix.

The recommended mix, however, for our air-cooled two-stroke "Happy Time" (whatever happened to that guy Augi?) bicycle engines is 25:1 but since I believe that commercially-availabe, present-day premix two-stroke oils are of a higher quality than what was around in and when these Chinese engines were first manufactured, I use the slightly leaner mix.

I've ridden my motored at least 1000 miles in the last 6 months and it runs almost flawlessly. Then again, they always run bitchin' right before they blow up, don't they? It's been running crisp for at least three months now!

I typically ride a 20 mile loop and have been using a castor-blended premix racing oil called Castor927. I've become addicted to the scent of the stuff! I buy it from my local Suzuki dealer.

(^)

Last edited:

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Maybe I'll make a 50:50 mix of Dominator:castor. I've been running Dominator at about 30:1 as well.....I must admit it's about perfect, so dunno if I'll notice the castor....other than the smell.

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I drained the remaining pint of fuel out of the tank and dumped it in the mower.

I made a 50:50 mix of Dominator:castor, and dumped in 4.25 oz to a perfect gallon of fresh 87 octane. Mixed very well. Started easy. Smoked just the usual amount - but that's just the fuel in bowl. Went for a ride - at first it smelled REALLY funky. Kinda like burned rubber....I'm sure it's just the old oil gooze being consumed and the pipe sealant junk burning off, also I had adjusted my exhaust again. Now smells pleasant and goes fine......the only thing I noticed, it seemed to take a tad longer to warm up to full power, but not a huge problem. Going down the block it hesitated slightly, did a couple jerkies and power just eased on - once warm, full usual power. I'll need to explore this more.

Did some 1st gear grunt laps in the back yard....seems to have even more low end, if that's even possible. Just think when I lower the gear down....from a 10 to a 9 or 8!

Last edited:

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Pablo,
If you are going to do a 50:50 ratio, I highly recommend 3 oz total oil per gallon or you risk a lot of varnish build up on the engine.

Castor's almost magical properties are complement synthetic oil very well and in only small doses. More is not necessarily better. 1 oz castor mixed with 3 oz of Amsoil per gallon would be PERFECT and make less of a mess on the plug and exhaust tip.

The use of roller bearings really negates the need for a rich oil mixture and I'll even step out on a limp and say that 50:1 ratio with AMSOIL would be ok provided there is no risk of overheating the enigne. Castor really shines in temperatures that would cook any other conventional and nonconventional oil because it forms a dry film lubricant when it "cooks off".

I love the smell of burning the bean its something I picked up from model airplane flying....

Thanks for the posting and let us know how it goes. BTW, castor is compatible with almost all oils. It has compatibility issues in fuels that contain a high level of nitromethane.

BTW, I wish AMSOIL made a castor blended oil like other brands.

Last edited:

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Yeah it's an oily mix - I accidentally left my fuel valve on...and the carb dripped a bit on the smooth concrete.....the fuel evaporated....the mix residue was very nice and oily, not sticky.

I'll pop the head off in 50 miles or so.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
The old people here will remember a hobby called "slot cars" we used to mix STP oil treatment & Castor oil and put it on our rear tires for traction. Sigh..:)

Quanah

Dec 13, 2008
Central, Illinois
Where did you find Castor oil? Is it Castrol R? I can't find that stuff anywhere. Someone said they sell it on the east coast, but I can't find it in my Google searches. I remember my first experiences with auto racing, back in the sixties, that great smell that I associate with those youthful days long gone! You don't mean the castor oil kids always frowned at in the old B&W movies do you? It is a soybean product, I'm quite sure.

Quanah

Dec 13, 2008
Central, Illinois
Thanks for the reply Pablo, I used to run Klotz in my Hodaka Super Rat, many years ago... red colored, mixed with premium back then, it made a bright pink colored mix, looked cool through my white plastic tank.It smelt pretty good too, but not like castor... they should make womens perfume castor scent! Blenzall, (probably not spelled right), smelled good too. Thanks again, Keep The Rubber Side Down!

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Sometimes it's my AVATAR (due for a change), and it been on my website for about 12 months.

This bike is simply a concept that does not exist. It's a girl I fell in love with so I wanted a picture naturally, kind of thing. So I put it on my website in my little motored bike section.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I use the Castor927 too....Where do you get the Bean oil at????I found some fuel scent at the high perf. shop here....My exh. smells like Pina` Calada.....They have Vanilla,strawberry,blueberry,ect.ect......I use the mix 4 oz`s per gallon.....Everything holding together fine so far...4 tanks of fuel through the motor....
P.....

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
My friend in AZ that raced motocross loved using the fuel scents.

So I think I'm still missing it, what's the great thing about castor? (besides the smell)

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
There have been some good posts on it, but basically the natural constituent oils (sebacic) and esters in Castor oil are very tough. Some are said to seek out heat, ie flow to the hot zones. Even in complete death castor oil will keep some lubricity.