got bike at garage sale

GoldenMotor.com

TXsilverado

Dec 31, 2018
It was in a shop that caught on fire. melted fuel lines, melted brakes, melted tires. i purchased it as garage art because it looks neat and has a story but I'm curious what it would take to make it run again. I don't know anything about these bikes.

Reactions: fasteddy

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, if the engine will turn over that's a good start. All the cables and fuel line can be replaced from local sources or from most of the vendors on the sides of this page. Remove the sparkplug and spin the rear wheel, you should hear the piston moving and compression releasing from the plug hole.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Looking at the picture its a reed valve engine, someone has spent time and money on that modification, if it was jetted correctly you'll have a good set up. The throttle and grips are readily available.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
Buying all the replacement stuff including the cables, tires, tubes etc., will start to add up. If you can find a used bike that is like it, you might save a few dollars by salvaging the 2 to make one good bike. The engine is a hit or miss right now, but I would guess the CDI may have been "fried" by the heat.

Being right after Christmas, used bikes will start showing up soon on Craigs and at garage sales, time to start looking.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
It all depends on how badly damaged the parts are. You could probably replace all the damaged stock kit parts for less than $75 if you don't have to replace the engine. However, I don't know how damaged the actual bicycle is.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
What ever you do don't ride it, as the disease will take over, and you will be hooked. LOL. That is a nice frame and is a well done build, i bet there is some high performance on that engine with the reeds on it. Really couldn't get to hot as tank didn't blow..........Curt

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
What ever you do don't ride it, as the disease will take over, and you will be hooked. LOL. That is a nice frame and is a well done build, i bet there is some high performance on that engine with the reeds on it. Really couldn't get to hot as tank didn't blow..........Curt
I agree, the bike looks like a pretty nice build and the damage looks minimal, maybe a few cables need replacing, maybe a new air filter or something like that but it looks salvageable. I wonder about the rims and how damaged the spokes are though.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Take heed of what Curt said. Your just showing the first symptoms, interest. Then it's the parts that you feel you need to make it better. Then when it's all over and done you sit in the driveway looking at all the motor bikes in the garage and wonder how it happened.

Trying to explain it all to the lady in your life. Priceless.

Steve.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
TXsilverado,
Heed the warning well of Steve and Curt. These O'l boys are living what they are warning and regardless of what they say. He who dies with the most toys wins. (^)
Tom from Rubicon