Going racing on the cheap. $500 racers, based off of motored bicycles.

GoldenMotor.com

superharry

Mar 10, 2012
Mira Loma, CA.
I can chime in now, you will never get motorcycle people to race these.
I work at Mickey Cohen Motorsports, we're the National
repair center for Triumph USA. and we're the west coast press fleet center. With that said, we have a team of test riders the put miles on the bikes before they can go out the door to TV shows,movies and magazines. I built my bike at the shop, and all my test riders look and laugh!!! 40 mph does not cut it for these guys, almost all of them have 3 or more motorcycles in their stable, and do track days with them. 160 down the front straight at Willow Springs. Bikes are Bikes, Motorcyles are Motorcycles. You'll see...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I can chime in now, you will never get motorcycle people to race these.
I work at Mickey Cohen Motorsports, we're the National
repair center for Triumph USA. and we're the west coast press fleet center. With that said, we have a team of test riders the put miles on the bikes before they can go out the door to TV shows,movies and magazines. I built my bike at the shop, and all my test riders look and laugh!!! 40 mph does not cut it for these guys, almost all of them have 3 or more motorcycles in their stable, and do track days with them. 160 down the front straight at Willow Springs. Bikes are Bikes, Motorcyles are Motorcycles. You'll see...
40MPH is quite thrilling on narrow bicycle tires....
I've been a motorcyclist as long as I have a bicyclist and anyone who says 40mph on a bicycle isn't scary has never gone 40mph on bicycle tires.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Why not just use a 20" cruiser/lowrider frame and a 66cc bicycle engine? You doing this just to make money on the mount? That you don't have in the pictures? Please help me to see your vision. I'm all about bmx but I fail to see how this will work. How you gonna mount the rear sprocket? Rag joint?

nerobro

Dec 13, 2009
Chicagoland
The 20" frames aren't common enough.

The 66cc engine doesn't allow for standing starts. And there are frame interference issues on a BMX bike.

I pray that I never need to sell engine mounts, there's no way for me to make money on this.

The rear sprocket will be rag joint.

My dream is small motorcycles, that look like 70's GP bikes, that people can bring to parking lots and get some real, competitive, racing done.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You actually expect the CAG engine to work in a cheap, reliable race class?
Never gonna happen.
The life of these engines is usually measured in minutes rather than hours.
You lost me as soon as I saw the Cag.
Your results may vary.

nerobro

Dec 13, 2009
Chicagoland
Never gonna happen.
The life of these engines is usually measured in minutes rather than hours.
You lost me as soon as I saw the Cag.
Your results may vary.
Oddly enough, people in this thread suggested it. Nice to know there's some consensus.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Oddly enough, people in this thread suggested it. Nice to know there's some consensus.
That's odd, I have never heard of any experienced two-stroke guy who ever had anything good to say about them after the first hour of running.
Everything I have learned over the years tells me the cag is only suitable as a doorstop or boat anchor.
Your results may vary (but probably won't)
The only thing going for it is that it's cheap and there are LOTS of junk "tuner" parts available for them.
But keep in mind, all the hop-up parts in the world won't help if the engine won't run.

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
Never gonna happen.
These guys might disagree:
HUGE Pocket Bike Race Pocketbike Racing !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W4BDbjOr44

If the motor is a boat anchor, why waste time doing the following?

Section 3
Performance Tips
http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/showpost.php?p=830&postcount=2

The main thing that I hear complaints about is breaking clutch springs and pullstarts.
I think the clutches are $10 (less bell). It's h*ll to break a spring 15 miles from the house,
not so bad at the track.

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
These guys might disagree:
HUGE Pocket Bike Race Pocketbike Racing !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W4BDbjOr44

If the motor is a boat anchor, why waste time doing the following?

Section 3
Performance Tips
http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/showpost.php?p=830&postcount=2

The main thing that I hear complaints about is breaking clutch springs and pullstarts.
I think the clutches are $10 (less bell). It's h*ll to break a spring 15 miles from the house,
not so bad at the track.
That's easy to answer.
More money than sense.

The aftermarket thrive on building "hop-up" parts for garbage engines like the CAG because they are always breaking down.
When brand new, they are decent engines, but once you get a few hours on them they fall apart.

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
I like the idea.
I can't think of anything else to say that won't get me in trouble regarding the other posters on the thread.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hello all,

I was told you guys might be interested in my latest project.

I like racing. I like racing motorcycles... But places to race motorcycles are few and far between.

So.... How about a spec racer class, for racing in parking lots. But what bikes to use? As far as i can tell there's no good bikes to use for parking lot racing that's not a "fiddy" or a moped. And both look rather comical.

How about that.. with a motor? Well.. that's what's happening.

Wish me luck, or ideally, join me!

And.. just so there's some real content, here's the progress for the first night of build work:
Where did he go?
We are racing under $500 bikes on the cheap this saturday 18th on a real race track.
Looks like a big Beginner China girl class is showing up! :)