Going case inducted too!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
The air filter has a scotch brite pad in it. It only keeps big particles out of the engine. I have found that foam doesn't work. I'm glad you like the motor.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... the scotchbrite pads make a good air filter... One of my carbs is a genuine Dellorto SHA and ti just uses this metal mesh for an air filter. I probably won't even use it on this bike but good thing I don't live in a really dusty area...
On the street bikes I know a lot of people just stretch those ladie's nylon socks over the velocity stacks since they have very little restriction but keep the dirt out.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
It's the best thing I've found so far I tried other stuff but the motor never ran right. It's too cold to ride the bike yet it's going to warm up this weekend maybe try it out. I started the next project it's going to be the Harley I put it in the jig today. I'm going to cut the back half off and redo it. It had the brake and sprocket on one side so I'm to put one on each side and narrow the frame in the back. It will be a pretty big job. Anyway hope to ride the bike this weekend.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
Thanks Annie, I'm glad you like. The hydro-formed pipe was my first attempt a this kind of thing and it came out almost perfect. The motor does sound good I hope to try it out soon.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
Pac, That kind of filter would work fine I just didn't have the room for one like that. All of my builds have very little space for anything. I guess that's the way I build them. That's has all way been a problem with my work try to figure out how to get it all in as small a space as possible.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
Pac that's pretty tight, I like the reed set-up and carburetor. How does it run?
So far I've noticed on my bike that is much harder to start with this carburetor is almost like it needs a prime to start. When I inject some fuel into the carburetor it fires right off, but if I try to start it by pedaling it takes awhile to start. When it's warm it's easier to start.

pak39

Dec 5, 2013
San Marcos, Texas
It runs a lot stonger with reeds, I'm glad I switched. Mine starts pretty easy just choke and a couple cranks. I'm guessing you have the pulse line hooked up? Maybe it's because the charge has to go through the crank and up to the combustion chamber.
When I first got this carb it didnt run very well until I hooked up an auxiliary pulse line and since switching to reeds I have it running on the built in pulse line which it seems to like better.

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
look for air leaks. reason i say that is because it should start real easy w a few throttle pumps.

do you need help w the carb linkage? i had two answers for that.

Last edited:

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I took the bike for a test ride on Monday it ran real good, lot of power and RPM's. I'm going to put a different head as Theon suggested the motor got pretty hot after a few miles. The starting problem was due to the high and low mixture screws were out of adjustment. There is still a lot of work to do on it.

pak39

Dec 5, 2013
San Marcos, Texas
Glad to hear you got it running good Ron, and a head upgrade is a wise investment. Not only would a new head help cooling it would increase the power output if you go with more compression.
I was also curious if you were running steel of composite reed petals on your setup. I was running steel on my bike but I switched to fiberglass the other day and I like them a whole lot more.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
Hi Pac, I going to get a new head but I'm not sure which one yet. The compression on this head is real high it's milled down quite a bit, maybe too much. I'm running the steel reeds in this motor. Later I might try the fiberglass ones.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Green Carbon Fibre Polini reed from Treatland is the go, it's about $20 for a sheet big enough to make at least 1/2 dozen.
You can over do compression on these motors, there is an ideal ratio between primary compression and final compression ratio's, so unless you can up the primary compression to suit, around 6cc is a good head volume.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
Theon I will check the cc in my head and see what it is? My friend said that about 160 psi. is pretty good for a two stroke. He's been building jet skies for 40 years also given me advice on the motors. I will try the polini reeds and see how they do. I might try the head on my black bike and see how it works but the weather is about change so it might be awhile. Thanks

pak39

Dec 5, 2013
San Marcos, Texas
Any updates on how this motor is running? My carburetor is a pos and I'm gonna get a new one so I was wondering how this carburetor is working for you?

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
Hi Pac, The carburetor works great. I haven't ridden the bike that much yet to really tune it but with the weather get better I probably will work on it again soon. I have been working my Harley and it should be done soon. The carburetor I have is a 22mm that would be pretty big if yours is not case inducted. The one good thing is the carb doesn't cost much.

pak39

Dec 5, 2013
San Marcos, Texas
Well I ordered a Walbro hda63 yesterday so we'll see how that goes. I have a knockoff Tillotson on there now with a 21mm throat and it runs good when it's not acting up, but I've had problems with it from the beginning. So hopefully the Walbro does the job.