getting legal in kansas


New Member
Jul 12, 2008
after a day of phone calls i think i have a path to legal use in kansas........

i called my local police and they said they are illegal cause you cant register or tag or insure way around i mentioned all the homemade choppers on the street...(i live in a harley biker town) its a thing here to build from scratch big choppers frame and all fabrication.....

well a couple of yrs ago they told me the same thing about my purchased suzuki moped and i knew that was incorrect so from that past experince i learned some lessons.... I actually had to get call the district attorney to get the correct law on it.....he told me to keep it in my wallet cause a police officer will try to incorrectly give you a ticket.....

so i called to see about getting a safety inspection they told me that was i called KDOT they refered my to the state trooper whos job it is to sit at a desk and be the top dog about such laws.....he told me it was illegal cause i could not get a vin # for it.....
funny thing was when i asked him what about what it says in the kansas law about them....which says they are legal as long as under 3.5 hp and 130cc and under 30mph....he said the law is much more complex than what it says in the state law....said it was about 500 pages long.... so i asked him if i could purchase a copy of the 500 pages of law so i could better understand it an therefore not break the law...or could he direct me to a website that post the actual law....of course he could not .... i strongly suspect the 500 pages of law he is referring too is "however he feels that day about it" the state law is very clear....
so i started calling different cities in my state to find out how to get an assigned vin # most countys say its impossible....a couple said bring it in and we will assign a state vin#
"which does not make it legal but will get you started with the registration process"
called progressive insurance....yep if you have a state vin you can get insurance......liability only 30 bucks a yr or so...... it now is defined as a moped with my insurance and vin i should be able to get a tag.......

this should take away any legal teeth they might have to keep us from riding.....its not free but for 60 dollars per yr it beats a ticket.....and i think "think" that if you were in traffic court and could prove license registration and insurance you would be free to go..........

i could be wrong........anyone elses input would be appreciated .....

i did have a nice heart to heart with the trooper who desk jockys the law. I told him gas prices are not going down anytime soon and all im trying to do is get a way to get back and forth from work and for shopping around town... im not "trying to break the sound barrier or anything" and told him it was a size issue that I own a moped but im 6ft 1 and my knees get stuck in the handle bars and its just not safe..... that is true by the way but i also wanted him to understand that it is a safety issue

if you have any ex in this please let me know


New Member
Mar 22, 2009
So how or where did you go to get the VIN number for your motorized bike? Were you able to get it registered and insured? Maybe you post an update for us in Kansas.


New Member
Dec 5, 2009
Hutchinson Ks
I just got an email from the ks dept of revenue on the subject of the law.

This is the requirements for a motorized bike
A motorized bicycle manufactured in 1980 or after must have a seventeen
(17) digit VIN conforming to the National Highway and Traffic Safety
Administration requirements. There must also be a decal or plate attached
with a statement that the motorized bicycle meets the Federal Safety
Standards. If the motorized bicycle does not meet these requirements, it
more than likely will be considered a “toy vehicle” which will not be
titled or registered in Kansas and cannot be operated on public roadways
within Kansas.

In addition, a motorized bicycle must meet the following requirements: have
two tandem wheels or three wheels which may be propelled by either human
power or helper motor, or by both, and which has all of the following:
(a) A motor which produces not more than 3.5 brake horsepower*;
(b) a cylinder capacity of not more than 130 cubic centimeters;
(c) an automatic transmission; and
(d) the capability of a maximum design speed of no more than 30 miles per

If the vehicle does not have every one of these
requirements, it will not be titled or registered
in Kansas. If the vehicle exceeds any of the number
values or has a manual transmission, it will be
considered a motorcycle and will be titled and
registered as such.

*The following horse power ratings are the same as
3.5 brake horsepower: 2.61 KW (Kilowatts), 2,611w
(watts), or 5.8 S.A.E. (Society of Automotive

We do not require insurance on a motorized bike.



New Member
Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
What about a pre-1980?
Sounds like you need to "Rework" an old moped into a newer form. Just weld the vin number on a place you can point it readilly.


Active Member
Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Motorized bicycles draw fans, tickets from police in Salina

SALINA, Kan. (AP) — Motorized bicyles are gainings fans in the central Kansas town of Salina, but police are not along for the ride.

Read more... Motorized bicycles draw fans, tickets from police in Salina - WDAF

Are Motorized Bicycles Street-Legal in Kansas?

Here are the Kansas Bicycle Laws and Statutes related to motorized bicycles: Read more...
Last edited:


Active Member
Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Lawmaker studies options for gas-powered bicycles

By DAVID CLOUSTON Salina Journal

A state lawmaker is working to find a way that riders of modified bicycles can legally ride on Salina's streets.

Earlier this year, a group of riders who'd modified their bikes with small, gasoline-powered engines found themselves at odds with Salina police. Police said the bikes weren't street legal since they can't be registered and there's no specific state law enabling their use.

Read more... - an online service of the Salina Journal
Last edited:


Well-Known Member
Jan 19, 2010
Ive been re-doing My website with state motorbike laws and I sent e-mails to all 50 states regarding motorized bicycles,registration and liscensing, I am waiting for replys from 3 states but here is what the Kansas DMV sent Me regarding Motorized bicycles:


These types of vehicles may be referred to as motorized bike: mopeds,
scooters, motor driven scooters, motorbikes. However not all of these may
meet the requirements of motorized bikes.
A motorized bicycle is defined in KSA 8-126(aa) as, every device having two
tandem wheels or three wheels, and is propelled by either: (a) human power
(b) helper power (c) or both, and which has:
A motor which produces not more than 3.5 brake horsepower;
a cylinder capacity of not more the 130 cc (cubic centimeters);
an automatic transmission, and
the capability of a maximum design speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.

Any two or three wheeled vehicle which:

.. Exceeds any of these specifications or performance factors, and/or

.. Does not have an automatic transmission;

cannot be registered as a motorized bike and must be registered as a
motorcycle, or may not qualify for any type of title and registration.
Safety equipment and manufacturer’s intended use of the vehicle is also
major considerations. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
(NHTSA) of the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) establishes and
enforces federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS). FMVSS specify
minimum levels of safety performance for motor vehicles and manufacturers.
Although Kansas law specifically exempts motorized bikes from the
definition of motor vehicle, the NHTSA Office of Chief Counsel has
determined that mopeds and motorized bikes are subject to applicable FMVSS
in effect on their date of manufacture. The
American Association of Motor
Vehicle Administrators also recommends that federal safety standards apply
to mopeds. Examining all these requirements greatly simplifies making a
determination if a vehicle may be registered as a motorized bike,
motorcycle, or not registered at all.
KSA 8-126(b) defines a motor vehicle as: every vehicle, OTHER THAN A
MOTORIZED BICYCLE or motorized wheelchair, which is self-propelled.
Motorized bicycles are required to be titled and registered before
operating on the roadways of this state, but are not required to obtain an
MVE-1 if using an out-of-state ownership document when applying for
and registration, or have proof of insurance when applying for or renewing
registration. (Only motor vehicles and trailers are required to have
liability insurance coverage if registered.)
An electric scooter or electric motorized bicycle does not meet the
definition of a motorized bicycle in KSA 8-126 due to not having a
“cylinder” capacity.
July 2008 67 County Treasurer's Manual State of Kansas Titling Instructions
However, the division will allow electric scooters or electric
bicycles to be titled and registered as a motorized bicycle as long as they
meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and the following
An electric motor rated at no more than 2,611 watts (2.61 kilowatts); and
an automatic transmission, and
the capability of a maximum design speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.

Any two or three wheeled vehicle which:

.. Exceeds any of these specifications or performance factors, and/or

.. Does not have an automatic transmission;

cannot be registered as a motorized bike and must be registered as a
motorcycle, or may not qualify for any type of title and registration.
Horsepower may be listed on an MSO in measurements of brake horsepower
(bhp), S.A.E. (Society of Automotive Engineers), Watts (WA), or Kilowatts
The following horsepower rating will convert to 3.5 brake horse power:
5.8 S.A.E. horsepower (converts to 3.4 bhp) 2,611 watts or 2.61 Kilowatts
If you are in doubt as to the horsepower rating listed on an MSO or title,
you may request the customer to return to the dealer, or contact the
manufacturer to obtain additional documentation specifying the brake
horsepower rating for the vehicle being registered.
Submit a properly assigned MSO/MCO or title, bill of sale from state that
does not title motorized bicycles or out-of-state title in the applicant’s
name. The MSO/MCO or other ownership documents submitted to County
Treasurers or the Division of Vehicles may or may not contain all the
required information to determine if the motorized bicycle meets the Kansas
definition of a motorized bicycle. If more information is needed to
properly determine whether or not a motorized bike, moped or scooter may be
registered, the Treasurer’s and T&R staff should request the customer to
review the owner’s manual and/or obtain additional documentation from the
manufacturer. In addition to the above requirements for motorized bikes,
there are other factors, which may cause a motorized bicycle to be
disqualified from being registered.

July 2008 68 County Treasurer's Manual State of Kansas Titling Instructions
All motorized bikes must have an MSO/MCO or a title and a conforming VIN.
(Exception will be motorized bicycle that was purchased in a state which
does not title or register motorized bicycles. Still must meet all other
requirements such as but not limited to conforming VIN.)
All MSO/MCO must contain a statement the vehicle meets all FMVSS. Any
statement(s) on MSO/MCO, title or in owner’s manual, instruction manual,
advertising, promotional literature, packaging, or web sites indicating the
vehicle is not manufactured for street use, manufactured for off road use,
manufactured for recreational use or any other non-highway use
automatically disqualified it from registration. .
Any data or statements referencing specifications or performance found in
owner’s manual, instruction manual, advertising, promotional literature,
packaging, or web sites which contradicts MSO/MCO, titles or any other
ownership document provided by manufacturer may be cause for denying
If a motorized bike meets all the above requirements, but exceeds any of
the specifications or performance standards in the statutory definition,
the vehicle is registered as a motorcycle.
Sales Tax

For individual to individual sales, the County Treasurer’s will collect the
sales tax. For Kansas dealers or businesses sales, proof of payment of
sales tax is required, (sales receipt showing tax collected). If proof is
not presented from a Kansas dealer or business sale, the county may collect
the sales tax on motorized bicycles as they do not fall under the
requirement to have a dealer license because they are not defined as a
vehicle in the Kansas statutes.
For individual to individual sales, the purchase price must be disclosed.
This is done on the title assignment if there is a space for the purchase
price, or using a bill of sale showing the vehicle’s year, make, VIN, sales
price, purchaser’s name and the seller’s signature. If neither is
available, the applicant can pay sales tax for the fair market value of the
vehicle. Fair market value may be determined by contacting a retailer who
sells that model of motorized bicycle.
A mileage reading is required, but mileage status (actual, exceeds, not
actual) is not required since motorized bicycles are not motor vehicles.
Proof of insurance IS NOT required.

Thank you,


Kansas Kid

New Member
Apr 30, 2013
The Highway Potrol told me they can not issue a VIN. It has to come from the manufacturer even though the law says that "motorized bicycles" are not motor vehicles so they would not have a VIN, it is a catch 22. So you can't get the tag that is required to be legal from DMV. I wrote my congrassman, maybe this mess will be sorted out some day. Laws are dumb.

I need to move anyway.

Crono Blades

New Member
Mar 29, 2011
Hey, I'm over here in Geary County. I just went into the DMV and asked them how I could get a VIN for the motorized bicycle that I built in Arizona. They gave me a copy of a form TR-91www and instructions on how to fill it out. Basically it's a Specially Constructed Vehicle Affidavit that allows the state to issue a VIN to your bike. With that, you can then register it.