Gasoline with ethanol Why not?

GoldenMotor.com

velardejose

Sep 9, 2008
Lima, Peru
Hi
I found in a motoredbike site that you should avoid gasoline that contains ethanol
Why? (Sorry if this is a dumb question)
Thanks in advance

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I 'm using regular gas that contains 10% ethanol so far no problems the mixing of the oil for 2 strokes might get to be a problem as some oils don't mix with alcohols but castor oil will mix with either bad thing is castor isn't cheap. Don't buy your castor oil at the drug store get your castor oil from a place that sells it for use in karts/motorcycles etc.
I've been blending my oil mix 3 oz. of castor and 1 oz of amsoil 2 stroke oil per gallon for a 32 to 1 ratio I like to make the neigbhorhood smell like a race track or model flying field.rotfl
Norman

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It can be hard on rubber parts....don't remember seeing any of those in our carbs.

10% is not enough to make any difference anyhow.

mralaska

Aug 16, 2008
Deerfield, NH
If you live in rural USA, where would you find gasoline without ethanol? My mechanic says ethanol has been good for his business. Replacing in-tank fuel pumps alone have tripled.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
It will work fine - just don't mix a few gallons and let it sit for months. Especially castor blends. I tend to think a month is pushing it, but it depends on the weather and storage location.

Just mix it and run it, and you should be fine.