Gas Tanks

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Threesixtyg, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Threesixtyg

Threesixtyg New Member

Has anyone ever seen a bag that hangs from the seat or on the front forks that has the leather look and feel but actually acts as a gas tank? I would rather use something like that rather then the typical gas tank that comes with the kit..

Thanks

2. TexasDav

TexasDav New Member

Well fuel tanks on race cars use a bladder inside a metal tank, I don't see why not in a leather bag. Finding the bladder with a lid, Maybe experiment with a hot water bottle that has the hose attached.

3. Threesixtyg

Threesixtyg New Member

i figure it would still be metal or aluminum on the inside, kind of like a can wrapped to look like a bag...

4. TexasDav

TexasDav New Member

One of them round old rotor tiller gas tanks would be great if you could find one, maybe on the net or ebay will have just what you are looking for.

5. seca40

seca40 New Member

A camelback bladder might hold fuel. They're really tough.

6. jimraysr

jimraysr New Member

Sorry Charlie, most food containing elastometers (rubber) are EPDM today. That is a hydrocarbon product and not compatible with gas.

I tested the bungs in a 1.33 gal.mini-keg and they swelled 25% in gas for a week, then shrunk to 75% when removed from the gasoline. So the mini-keg project was a bust. The Stainless Steel was too thin for me to braze covers on it. $30 down the drain.

May have to steal the round tank off the Briggs engine on my trencher and replace it with something else. That tank must be 30 years old and galvanized.

Jim

7. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Attached Files:

8. Threesixtyg

Threesixtyg New Member

thank you everyone for your input I appreciate it....

9. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Santa Cruz Scooter Works

If you wait after until next year, SCSW will have front mounted gas tanks for sale. Hardware included.