Fuel line recommendation

GoldenMotor.com

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
If you're worried about fuel flow just get a clear fuel filter. I have a clear steel mesh type filter and as long I can see fuel getting to the filter then cool. You can also just pull the line and open the petcock to see the flow. If it's designed for a car then it's good for our mb's.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Yep, the black stuff is good and is cotton reinforced too. However what if the fuel filter is clogged and not flowing all the way through , I hate to be pulling my line off all the time, if my bike wont start to eliminate fuel flow probs. I just prefer the crystal clear line. Either one is fine for sure. Just a personal choice, but for sure the semi clear milky stuff in the kit hardens and can crack and that's not a good thing. The rubber line turns my fingers black telling me its not a good quality rubber that can also deteriorate from ethanol gas...the rubber type also has a thicker wall also and probably less likely to kink though.

Last edited:

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I actually wanted to use steel braided fuel line and still might one day. I know very expensive but would look awesome. Either way I think a straw is better than the kit supplied line. I think even at the auto store they have fuel line with the lawn mower stuff that I think would be fine

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I was feeling detail-oriented when I was putting together ol' Tempus. I splurged a bit on copper tubing and compression fittings. But I made sure it had a bigger ID than the original plastic line, and I suspected the bogging issue I was having might be because the engine at WOT could use gas faster than the original line could supply it. I turned out to be right; the larger-ID of the copper line solved that problem. However, every engine is different, and some don't behave that way. That, and I've done a bit of "souping up". Where most of these little 2-smokers will get kinda close to the 150 mpg mark, I am likely only getting about 120 mpg, although when I turn the throttle, Tempus GOES! RIGHT NOW! No more bogging or any hesitation. I got me near-instant throttle response, and I'm pretty pleased with it.
But if you use copper, there'll be some customization involved. And you'll need to make a couple turns of coil in the middle to take the vibration of the engine, so the line doesn't work loose from the non-vibrating tank. I have pictures of it in my album.
Keep in mind: unless you're going for a vintage look, or something steampunk-like, regular rubber automotive-grade fuel line will work just fine, as well as some of the other stuff that the previous forum members have mentioned. Good luck.

Last edited:

Cheeseman

Oct 19, 2016
Minnesota
When I was setting up my 4 stroke Honda 120 on a Huffy 26" 10 speed frame, I just rigged fishtank tubing, as the stock line on that free to me motor(from an old golf green mower) was the same size, but old & frail.
Now that I have the bugs worked out of the gear ratios, I'll enclose it in flexible electrical conduit.
Unless you're going to trek across the Gobi desert, or enter yours in a fancy judged show, just use whatever you can find, near the same size. And don't smoke while tinkering there....

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Yep, the black stuff is good and is cotton reinforced too. However what if the fuel filter is clogged and not flowing all the way through , I hate to be pulling my line off all the time, if my bike wont start to eliminate fuel flow probs. I just prefer the crystal clear line. Either one is fine for sure. Just a personal choice, but for sure the semi clear milky stuff in the kit hardens and can crack and that's not a good thing. The rubber line turns my fingers black telling me its not a good quality rubber that can also deteriorate from ethanol gas...the rubber type also has a thicker wall also and probably less likely to kink though.
I use that black rubber reinforced type that says Gasoline and some code type on it, but my pleated paper fuel filter is in a clear see through construction. I can see gas in and also the flow of gas just when I open the fuel valve initially if prior ran the bowl dry. It works for me fine.

MT

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
anyone looking to get steel braided fuel line cheap a easy cheap option is to got o plumbing supplier and get the pipes used for connecting a household tap up as it is around the same size or if you have a breakers yard nearby just go in browsing for parts and take a front or back brake line you like the look of as the brake lines are double walled pipe with steel braiding over them and use it as your fuel line

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Good idea but won't the fuel eat away at those lines. EBay has the lines for a decent price I'm just looking at what size we need. I know I can go look at my lines I have but I'm not near my bike so I thought I'd ask.