Friction drive kit questions

GoldenMotor.com

lucajo16

Dec 12, 2013
cincinnati, ohio
Hello everyone i had a question for anyone who can touch up on the subject.
Im new to 4 strokes and im buying this from bike berry soon. This is my first 4 stroke and my first friction drive and i was woundering what i can do to improve the size of the tank as well as keep my tires from balding out as quick. Any advice will help. I dont wanna go with a chain drive just yet. I got a gas frame im doing that with. This is just until i get my other bike finished or i get a car (( whatever happens first))

Here is the kit in question : http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine...iction-drive-bicycle-engine-kit-4-stroke.html

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The problem with smaller FDs is the use a small roller in order to have a useable ratio. The small roller tends to spin out fairly easily wearing tires pretty fast. Tire size and design is important also. The best tire is a 2.125 cruiser tire (Hookworms too) as it has a faltter top profile. Also tire pressure and down force are critical. I have many miles on several types of FD. I run 30psi and have enough deflection of the tire to have the roller depressed fully into it for max contact. Smaller profile tires and higher pressures just don't work well.

About a larger fuel tank, since your engine has a pumper carb just about any tank that you can mount in the vicinity of the engine will work. The common tank in the 66cc kits could be used. A 3 liter tank would be a good choice.

lucajo16

Dec 12, 2013
cincinnati, ohio
I wanna ask a question as well about the friction drive....that tank on the stock engine....how many miles to the gallon can I get? I know I can just stop and refuel sense its a 4 stroke but I don't wanna stop every 3 miles if that's the case. What is the actual milage of the tank?

bonefish

May 7, 2018
The tank is about 20oz. You can get a larger tank that mounts on top of the friction drive unit from Staton inc.

Echobay

Jul 16, 2018
I simply use a water bottle in it's cage as a spare gas tank. Your bike should be pedal assist...in that you have a gear range that matches the speed of your engine. Always ride while pedaling. As though you are on an excercise bike. That will reduce tire wear significantly. I agree hookworm have been the best for wear (Maxxis).
1 1/8 rollers for hill climbing are the hardest on tires. Must have pedal assist with a full range of gears to pedal while riding....the way motorized bikrs were intended to be.
You should be embarrassed if you have a single or (say) 5 speed bike.

Echobay

Jul 16, 2018
I simply use a water bottle in it's cage as a spare gas tank. Your bike should be pedal assist...in that you have a gear range that matches the speed of your engine. Always ride while pedaling. As though you are on an excercise bike. That will reduce tire wear significantly. I agree hookworm have been the best for wear (Maxxis).
1 1/8 rollers for hill climbing are the hardest on tires. Must have pedal assist with a full range of gears to pedal while riding....the way motorized bikrs were intended to be.

Echobay

Jul 16, 2018
Only buy the 49cc, preferably the Honda gxh50.

Attachments

bonefish

May 7, 2018
It is better to use a MSR fuel bottle in a water bottle cage if you are not going to get a larger tank. That is what I use. Don't use a water bottle as a fuel tank. Don't get a 49cc or Honda GXH50 to use with a friction drive. It is more weight on the rear tire that you don't need. More flats. If your looking to get a friction drive, I've got a brand new Staton Inc. one that has never been used. Save $30 and I'll sell it to you for $100 shipped free in the USA.

Echobay

Jul 16, 2018
Trust me! You regret ever buying a friction drive less than 49cc.
Staton are the best! Sounds like a good deal....except it's not a 49cc so it's worthless.
Honda gxh50 kit! The only way to install in an hour, ride trouble free for years.

bonefish

May 7, 2018
I had a 52cc engine on one of my friction drives and it went 35mph. Too much power. If you want the best 4 stroke engine, go with a Subaru Robin EH035. If you don't want to spend that much, go with a Honda GX35. They are lighter than the Honda GXH50 or Haushung 142F and will serve you better.

Echobay

Jul 16, 2018
You control the speed. An engine is only too fast if you pull the throttle too far.
I live in Maine and travel extensively with my gas engine pedal assist. 34cc loaded with bikepacking bags of 60 Ibs and my 190 Ibs will not climb mountains. The gxh50 with pedal assist works great and it's legal.
My bike folds, everything fits in bags and I can be on a bus, in a hotel at a new location in hours. My record is 45 minute break down..45 minute set up.....lol

Attachments

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Why would a 49 cc engine be the only option? I'm running a 30 cc friction drive and it's pulling myself and a trailer with 35# of cargo up some fairly steep hills. My bike cruises at 18 mph, and frankly on an unsuspended bike towing a single wheel trailer, that's plenty fast.

Depending on the friction drive and how it's designed, for just the weight of the rider and possibly a small 10# load, 30 cc engines should be adequate, for at least 23mph