FLYING BIKE!!

GoldenMotor.com

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
anyone ever try making a bike/plane out of the 2 strokers? i know my engines can all out run me in longevity. i have to stop way before they start thinking of getting tired. i'm thinking 3 engines for redundancy, some alum strut and tube with parachute material for fold up wings that are pinned in place. nothing high flyer, but if engines fail, long enough wings will let you glide on home. lol. an for even more redundancy use triple plug heads and figure out a triple ignition for each one. couldn't be that hard to install hall sensors and timing disks instead of a magnet to coil. run that to a digital timing box, have the output amplified and fed to three separate coil packs. could have a pretty reliable slow flying bike. any one have the huge swingers to attempt this?

Reactions: fasteddy

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
A rogallo wing (hanglider) can support 2 people, if so rated by the maker.
what is the wing fabric made of? tight woven nylon? kevlar? i don't have the money to attempt this right now, but i would love to actually do it, and show people just how crazy i really am. i love to tinker, and these motors make other projects come to life.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
"what is the wing fabric made of? tight woven nylon?"

They used to be made from nylon. You would need to google more recent hang gliders to see what they use now.

Reactions: Jimmy Bloodmaker

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
"what is the wing fabric made of? tight woven nylon?"

They used to be made from nylon. You would need to google more recent hang gliders to see what they use now.
off topic, but your quote inspired me to have a t-shirt made with that saying. i love my buzz box. makes me feel like im making lava. lol

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
Dying when a crappy china gal motor craps out on you in the air is just plain stupid.
Crapping out on the road is usually not a life ending moment, you just pedal home.
But you were never going to do this anyway so no big deal.
if i ever do , do it, i will make sure it ain't no kit bought motors. i've had motors go boom in the first mile and others last thousands. i am crazy enough to do it. just need the free funds, and right now my funds are tied up in more important ventures. i would be building the engines myself, only way i would trust them to push me through the sky. just today i pushed a 66cc up to 42.9mph( on a flat road) on a 24" bike with a 32th sprocket. i was flying and pushing tht motor way harder then she ever wanted to go. stock she was a 30-32mph an a bit faster down hill, i chewed up her ports and etc etc and she still wouldn't go past 37 till i decided to play with the magneto. needless to say, she died with a horrible scream and a boom( literally sounded like a bomb went off between my legs). needle bearing decided it was breaking up with the piston and the gudgeon pin. idk my rpms, my tach stops at 9999, an im to lazy to do the math. my back wheel locked for just a split second (i knew it was coming when i heard the piston slapping so i held my hand on the clutch), which lunged me up on the seat and i snapped the clutch in. a guy down the street that i compete with to make the fastest bikes, seen me pedaling my bike up a hill and laughed. well until i told him i'm now in the lead again by just over 3 mph. so now we have a drag race set up for when i rebuild this one. probably gonna switch to a bushing con rod on this re build. when it blew, it took a chunk of the transfer wall off and cracked the jug. will make a fine paper weight now.

edit: and if you are wondering, i am 170lbs and my bike is another 80lbs ( welded it up myself from scrap bikes and scrap metal i had lying around) and yes i was tucked as tight as i could with little to no wind.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Whether your aircraft is powered by a Rolls Royce Merlin or a China girl, you must always be on the lookout for an emergency landing area and be well prepared for a dead stick, engine out landing.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Tom the Eipper & Rotax setup is intriguing and I haven't built one of those.

Just like the brother's said, "no problem just a motor bicycle with wings, Wright?"

Rick

Reactions: Jimmy Bloodmaker

Smooth Ave

May 5, 2019
McAlester OK
I love them flying contraptions. Owned more than one of them. Sounds to me like you need to check out the " goat". It flys on a single cyl 2 stroke. Maybe a flock of China girls would keep you afloat on it. Build it under a tree- fly it outta the back yard!

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Tom the Eipper & Rotax setup is intriguing and I haven't built one of those.

Just like the brother's said, "no problem just a motor bicycle with wings, Wright?"

Rick
Wright :).
Rick, mine was stolen shortly after 100 hours of flight.. FAA rules have changed since 1983. But Gawd! It was a blast! 3dimentional navigation is some thing to experience. But not in Indian Territory weather.
Y'all take care.
Tom from Rubicon

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Tom our local weather is challenging for sure, but we have our moments. I'll probably keep building riders instead of flyers, but wings are & always have been a compelling thought. I'm glad you experienced the satisfaction of home built flight, if only briefly feeling the freedom of solo flight.

Rick C.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon