Fixie Thruster motorized bike build

Discussion in 'Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes' started by a0201618, Jul 22, 2012.

1. george_n_texas

george_n_texas New Member

2. longo3

longo3 New Member

I went for a ride today and lost my upper needle bearing. It didnt sieze but it wouldnt start again. Needle gouged cylinder and put dents in top of piston. Thats one more motor breakdown the Thruster Fixie has made it through without fail. I found a whole upper rebuild kit (with bushing not bearing) for 45 bucks.

http://www.livefastmotors.com/categories/motorized-bicycle-parts/rebuild-tune-up-kits.html

Is it worth it ? Twice that much for whole new motor.

3. 577-Jersey

577-Jersey New Member

Gotta take her easy there..lol...wee.

4. locell

locell New Member

Yes, I believe it is worth it. I have my motor mounted to the bike frame all custom and have my drive chain just how i like it, carb tuned etc. Replacing the top end only lets me not mess with any of that. With these Chinese engines, imho its really a gamble because "new" does not always mean "fully functional" Replacing the top end only is also nice because you do not have to dismount the engine and my bottom end was solid. Pull your head and piston jug, check for wear on the bottom end, (see if the rod has up-and-down movement) and make the call from there.

5. 16v4nrbrgr

16v4nrbrgr Active Member

Its good to hear the bike has worked out for you long term as I have a Thruster waiting for a motor to be slapped on someday.

6. kevyleven007

kevyleven007 Active Member

I also have a thruster.I quickly grew to dislike the 700c wheels so I turned it into a 26'' coaster brake bike and it is so much better.Fat cruiser tires transform this bike in a good kind of way!.I took the motor off and put it on my brown bike.

#26 kevyleven007, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  7. 577-Jersey

577-Jersey New Member

Yeah,,
    I dont know if I would feel to comfortable ripping around on those skinny wheels and tires it comes with,,I like em beefy myself.

Would really like to build one of those Genesis mountain bikes w/the front suspension and disc brake next,,maybe Ill keep that one for myself unless I get an offer I cant resist!

8. Junkyard dog

Junkyard dog New Member