First Good Ride

GoldenMotor.com

SmokerX

Dec 10, 2008
Austin
Hey guise, I finally had a nice day out on my motorbike. I couldn`t have done it with out you
guise so thnx alot. I have cruised around to fast food places or friends houses or just the grocery store for up to probably 5 miles. This Time I went 20 miles round trip with speed limits of 35 and 50 and
speeds of 35-50 mph(40 average) with no problems. I rode down to the local park for some
disc golf. On the way there i rode along with my girlfriend who was on a conventional mountain
bike, so we only went 20mph. But there`s a big straight away with wide lanes, no traffic and speed limits of 50 mph So I had to let her out for a couple of miles. I left her at the park so she could get a ride with friends to hang out and gunned it all the way back 10 miles of pure joy. The first half was on a bike lane going 40 riding along side cars. Everyone was really surprised to see a bike going this
fast. Then I did the straight away at 50 riding with traffic so fun not to have to be passed up by these suvs flying by. Then I took a country rode back up with a speed limit of 35 i couldnt help going 40,
no traffic down that rode. My suburban rode a couple of cars pulled out on me forcing me
to break abruptly. So glad to see a can push her to her limits with out breaking down now. Still
got a lot of stuff I`d like to do her still though..shft.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Am I reading this right? You say you were going 50 m.p.h.? What kind of a set up do you have, as far as sprocket, engine, ect.? Not that I would want to go 50 m.p.h. on a bicycle of any kind, just curious.

John

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
curiosity killed the cat! But Iam also intrigued of that speed! what kind of speedo do you have? A good GPS will tell you exactly how fast your going! maybe it just felt that fast!

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN
20mph peddling on a mountain bike seems fairly fast, makes me think you speedometer is reading high. Maybe we're just envious of your top speed.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
20mph peddling on a mountain bike seems fairly fast, makes me think you speedometer is reading high. Maybe we're just envious of your top speed.
20mph is the average speed of some of the people I ride my pedal bike with. Some of us used to go even faster just because we could.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
"Video or it didn't happen." (Quote seen on other sites when amazing claims are made.) Not accusing, I'd just really like to see that. Are we talking about MPH? :D

SmokerX

Dec 10, 2008
Austin
Sorry about the late reply guise I`m busy and didnt have time to get back to this until now. I have a second hand 80 cc HT on a schwinn beach cruiser. The speed was measured with a digital schwinn speedometer i picked up in mph. The speedometer was checked with a control pace car about 3 days before the ride to make sure it was working right since it was a new improvement to my bike. I weigh 150 lbs. The street was a straight away on flatland with a long stretch perfect for racing. I was at full throttle on a hot engine(hot engines run smoother than cold)

the plug boot and wire are all after market. The engine runs lean(high air mix) and runs smoother in the high end and shutters in low end. the chain was the same tension as the bike chain, all parts where well greased spinning freely with little friction. Sometimes on a bad day it runs for a minute at 35 or 40 like its top speed; but then delivers. If the delivery of more power isnt fast enough i tinker with the carb screw. 50 is my top speed. I have no idea what was done by the previous owner but it seems like not much..I have no way of posting video and could fake it by skitching a car and letting go then flying by a cam. If I where lying (which I have no reason to, since i ride a MB cuz i cant afford a car) I would have said I go faster. 50 feels ok once you get used to 40; 40 feels ok when you get used to 30. Cars speeding that fast by me scares me more than doing 50. I still think it can go faster if i improve it.

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN
Sorry for doubting you, it's just that 50 requires quite a bit of power and the right gearing, something most the Chinese engines lack.
It's cool that you're able to do 50.

If you get around to it, could you count the number of teeth on your rear drive sprocket and post it here? We're curious to know. It's probably between a 27 tooth and 36 tooth sprocket.

Thanks
Tyler

SmokerX

Dec 10, 2008
Austin
I`m pretty sure the back gear is the gear that came with the kit,since very little aftermarket
parts where on the bike when i got it; and it looks the same from pics. But I`m not sure and
unfortunately cant check right now since i`m away from home right now and my nets are down.
but i will check eventually and post.

The bike originally probably did 40 when purchased. I didnt check since I didnt have the speedometer at the time. But I feel the improvements I made added about 10mph from feel. The post prior to this post I made was something to do with the carb not idling. I feel this is where my bike started running lean.(running lean adds power but wears your engine down faster; by changing the air fuel mix; see turbo). I thought the advertised speed was 40 so i figured 50 was normal; and thought nothing ofmit beyond it being my top out, until i read the reactions here. I`m also very rough on my engine and care more about speed than keeping the engine alive long term.

I`m not offended by the questioning of my top speed; I`m just trying to help,since it would suck to top out at 35 on my MB in my opinion. I once saw police video of 2 english guys outracing a police cruiser on a lower end moped. The trick was they rigged a mayo jar to increase air in the air fuel mix; so they where burning the fumes; like the "tornado" or "cyclone" or w/e that performance enhancing product claims to do. The mayo jar exploded like a molotov cocktail when the layed it down coming around a curve too fast. The video made very little mention of the modification.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I think you would need about a 32 tooth rear sprocket to go 50 m.p.h. The smallest sprocket I have is a 40, seems to run about 30 m.ph. The other two have 44's those are between 25 & 28 without the nitrous. Count it and let us know, maybe you have some wacky motor that has had the inside reworked, balanced, polished whatever?

John

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Ok, I'll say it. 40/50 on a Schwinn Beach Cruiser is stupid. Not only are you risking your life but also the positive perception of motorized bicycles in your community. Be careful out there. Smart helps too.

theonlyhek

Jul 20, 2008
Treasure Coast, FL
Ok, I'll say it. 40/50 on a Schwinn Beach Cruiser is stupid. Not only are you risking your life but also the positive perception of motorized bicycles in your community. Be careful out there. Smart helps too.
Agreed...., those bikes from corporate chain resellers: Wal-mart, Target, are from china. Not from the US, they are not made to do 50 miles per hour! The bearing would seize up, due to the grease just melting out. Bicycles tires could heat up so rapidly at that speed that they are fairly liable to explode with little effort from a rock or glass shard.

Just be careful. No disrespect. Just. Be. Careful!

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
I have no doubt 40-50mph is possible from a 80cc. Having done it ill agree its a risky chance. I honestly backed off the throttle last week because I got scared coming through some s turns down a hill. Had to been running 50 or better. I didnt have it WOT either....