First build, NEED HELP!

GoldenMotor.com

xknav3x

Oct 27, 2012
Winter Park, FL
Hello everybody,

I'm sorry if someone posted this already, but I looked.

I feel a bit overwhelmed on how many options there are to build a bike, and I don't want to waste anyone's time over the phone.

I wanted to know which frame is best to suit me, anyone who's had different frames. I was thinking about building a beach cruiser, because they seem sturdy. I want to use it as a daily rider, and I'm probably going to be putting in about 10-15 miles a day on it, more on errand days. I ride through Orlando, FL and for the most part I'll have a street to ride on, but i want to have the option to ride on the grass, if i have to, or go off road a bit, but not off the grid.

Also, I was thinking about using a 4 stroke engine because it requires less maintenance, but i don't want to lose speed or acceleration. I won't have as much time to mess with the engine as much as i would like to, but i do plan on upgrading this and that to add power or speed.

tl;dr I want a snappy, comfortable, sturdy bike. HALP!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy X, welcome.

Your gonna hate this but with such a broad question my best advise is read, read, read some more. I have both 4 and 2 smokes and each have their charms and drawbacks.

One bit of advice I can offer is going cheap is not good if you do not want to tinker.

There really are so many choices and options it is hard to give any real or good advice.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
It sounds to me like you wouldn't be happy with a beach cruiser since you fancy doing some off road riding. Beach cruisers have a longer wheel base, for a more comfortable ride, but steer and respond slower. I think a steel mountain bike from the late 90s, with a diamond shaped frame would work well for you. Frames with the more modern sloping top tube have less room for an engine, and usually will not accomodate a four stroke.
I also think a four stroke would be a better motor for you. It requires no clutch adjustment and less tinkering. In general, four strokes cost more and don't have as much peak HP as a 2 stroke but have better torque, translating to good off road traction.
If you post some questions in the four stroke engine subforum on this site, you will get plenty of enthusiastic help and advice.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
well.... you could try this...

a chinagirl is a cheap date.
Give her a try and build a kit bike.
See how it suits your needs.

Make your big decisions after you've had a season with her.

:)
rc