First build in the works by Taylar "The Flying Scotsman"

GoldenMotor.com

Tre_in_L.A.

May 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, that is super nice, my Taylar will be finished soon as well. Dan really does fine work.

Azbill: I am in Mesa on a job until Nov. 1, I am heading out to Sycamore Creek in a couple hours to tear up some trails on my new 1972 Yamaha 175 Enduro - beautiful, absolutely beautiful trail hopping around here!

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Update time! Not much really, just bits and bobs. I replaced the Worksman headstock with a much nicer aluminum one and painted it black. I also got a stand thnigy off ebay so I wouldnt have to constantly lean it against something. It was SO wobbley I had braces welded in at the bottem. I just knew the bike would fall as wiggely as it came and I DONT want that tank dented...
Nice, could we see a pic of the stand when it's up?

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks for the kind words Bill! It was great fun riding your bike to check out the Q Matic system! Tre! Been wondering how it went with your build. You been quiet for a while. Hey Swatter. Post 57 pic on the right hand side. Little tabs welded in at the bottem of the stand thingy. Its a cheepie till I get the intended one from Dan at Taylar. Hes having issues getting a specific part to complete the ( real ) stand.

Last edited:

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
No problem! There's no hurry. I'm nearing completion of my first build, and sorry to say, doesn't look like it's going to be done before winter. So, that'll just give me lots of time to work on the details.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
& they look nice on baby too!
hey if you ever have time, can you find out what size Dan's fuel cap is? Diameter & thread size? wondering whether it would fit a Sportsman tank. thanks

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Brett, Its a regular size and thread for an American hosepipe cap. :) Taylars tanks are internally vented so it wont help you with the gyser issues your having. NOW, If you were to find a cap that fits yours you could do the braised and coiled copper tubing trick. MHF: Its a Full Gospel Custom tank made by Dan at Taylar bikes.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hi Robert! Congrats on your new build! The seat is an OLD Brooks B33 I found on ebay. I think the fella that sold it to me dug it up in a Penslvania cow pasture :) 3 days of cleaning and preserving then finishing with Brooks profhide and that the best I could get it. Brooks still makes the B33 but these days the springs are chrome. Its the last one in their line with the double wound rear springs. I like the saddle but I also think it looks too tall and big for the bike. Im keeping an eye out for another Brooks without the massive front spring so I can efectivly lower the line of the saddle.Something like this with the copper rivits! http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/saddles/city+&+heavy+duty/B67+Select/ Heres the linky for the B33BROOKS ENGLAND LTD. | CITY & HEAVY DUTY | B33

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
:) Well... I just jumped off the 4 stroke cliff! Small Engine Warehouse: GX100QA - Honda Engine 3hp Horizontal 5/8"x2 19/64" Keyed Shaft, OHV, OHC, CIS, 4000RPM Just now pulled the trigger on what I hope will be a fantastic motor to replace my whiney 2 smoker. It goes just OK as it is, but I want some TORQUE darnit! This will be mated to a Q Matic of some sort. Im seriously thinking of going the Helmutt route for the belt drive look. Ummm. As seen here: http://motorbicycling.com/attachmen...1231455358015_1578085524_561618_7944942_n.jpg

Last edited:

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Velo, how could you go over to the dark side, & just when I was starting to really enjoy my China motor...!
So will you be getting Dan to re-do the engine mounts for you?

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I dont think that will be nessary. I'll get a steel plate and just beat the crap out of it till it works :) Looking at the motor body itself it looks kind of ( sort of ) rounded on the bottem. The mount Im thinking of would accentuate that implied curve. The mounting holed for the Q Matic are very close to the pattern on this motor. Q Matic for 50cc Honda are 2 15/16 square and this motor is 2 9/16 square. Nothing a little dremel grinder action cant take care of. The drive shaft will have to be trimed a bit also.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Velo welcome to the four stroke group...you made a good choice
Thanks CCC. I really wanted the 99cc Predator from HF but its gonna be a while; possably a LONG while, before rods are available for lubrication in the vertical position. I just didnt want to wait; and I didnt want a layback motor on this particular build. I also want to take my time with it and "Dixiefi" the motor Thusly. http://motorbicycling.com/attachmen...oardtrack-project-w-honda-engine-dvci0179.jpg

Last edited: