First build: Genesis Onyx 29" cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Small update: I got the caliper brakes from DansComp.com (great company to deal with btw) and installed the front brake last night. Would have been a 5 minute plug and play job except that the levers are for a 7/8" diam handlebar and mine is 1"... sooo... I ended up spending a couple hours hand filing the lever mount so it would fit. As you can see, I'll need to repaint the black base as the original paint got scuffed up pretty badly.

The good news is that the brakes seem to work pretty well. They squeak pretty bad, but that's because of the powder coating on the rim. I plan on roughing up the braking surface (see last photo) to help improve braking and reduce the squeaking.

The less than good news is that last night I realized that one of my spokes has an awful bend in it. If you look at the bottom of the front wheel in my first post you'll see that one of the spokes has a nasty bend. Can't believe I didn't notice it before. Had to be something that happened in transit as I haven't done anything with the bike that would cause that (and when I took that photo I had only just finished assembling the bike). In any event I need to pause working on the bike until I find out what Kent International (the manufacturer) wants to do about it. If worst comes to worst, I'll just replace the spoke myself.

As for the future, while I finish installing the brakes I intend on ordering my motor and drive. After many (many!) hours of homework and research I've decided to install the best motor I can afford and a rear wheel friction drive. I've read too many horror stories about broken this and that associated with chain drives and frame mounted engines and I really can't afford to do this more than once. At present, the answer appears to be Dax's competition 47cc 2 stroke and his friction drive kit.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thats an interesting engine for sure, looks like a hi-pro pocket bike motor. Not interested in the 49cc 4stroke? I have one of those on a Grubee set up and its a killer engine. I believe it would run for ever, Besides adjusting the valves on occasion and changing the oil, it really never needs anything.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
...Not interested in the 49cc 4stroke?
Sure I am! ;) I just can't afford a good one. :( I looked at the Honda clone, and it weighs 15 lbs without a fuel tank or clutch. I looked at the Robin 33.5cc engine, but I'm beginning to think it won't have enough power to pull my 240 lbs up hills (it's pretty flat here, but we do have one hill and that's the reason for the motor). So it's down to either the DAX souped up mini bike motor or an underpowered Japanese motor... decisions, decisions...

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Sure I am! ;) I just can't afford a good one. :( I looked at the Honda clone, and it weighs 15 lbs without a fuel tank or clutch. I looked at the Robin 33.5cc engine, but I'm beginning to think it won't have enough power to pull my 240 lbs up hills (it's pretty flat here, but we do have one hill and that's the reason for the motor). So it's down to either the DAX souped up mini bike motor or an underpowered Japanese motor... decisions, decisions...
The worst bike to conquer a hill is a cruiser bike, even one with friction drive. There are no extra gears to help you pedal-assist uphill.

That's just my opinion. I've had several bikes with friction drive and an engine or two on them.

It's gonna be hit and miss with the engines you'd mentioned. A cheaper, more powerful option would be the 2.5 hp HF engine. If I went back to friction drive, that's what I'd use:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-hp-horizontal-ohv-gas-engine-97964.html

See if your vee-brake adaptor fits your rear tire. If it does, you could run them front and rear, along with coaster brake. Now THAT would be braking power. I ran caliper brakes front and rear PLUS coaster brake on my FD cruiser bike.

They worked great.

Last edited:

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
so let me say this first before i continue...this is in no way shape or form a shot at duane...but he isnt exactly fit and trim...he was riding a gt50 on our group ride and was out pulling me on some of the hills...he is about 220 im gusseing im 180.....that little motor has got some power...and this is at 6000 ft elevation......he was on a 26" cruiser and i was on my rat racer

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I am building a new FD using the HF engine I just got. Its a rather new approach for me check it out in DIY, just starting it. I guess what it comes down to is what knid of engine you want to use. Most all my stuff is 4stroke, I like the relaxed nature of it. My 2.5 will climb just about any thing you can find and its queit and easy going about it. Still I can see the rush of twisting a 2 stroke to 10K/35+mph, it is as they say different strokes for different folks. For a serious long term daily rider, I think a 4stroke is hard to beat though.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
so let me say this first before i continue...this is in no way shape or form a shot at duane...but he isnt exactly fit and trim...he was riding a gt50 on our group ride and was out pulling me on some of the hills...he is about 220 im gusseing im 180.....that little motor has got some power...and this is at 6000 ft elevation......he was on a 26" cruiser and i was on my rat racer
Yup, saw that video. I really like the tiny size and weight of that little motor!

@5-7heaven & cannonball - I'm going to stick with an under 50cc engine for this first build. Until I get a better feel for how agressive my local PD is I don't want to take any chances.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
If you build with a small engine, you MIGHT need to upgrade($$) the engine for a more powerful engine to pull you up that hill.:-||

FWIW, if it weren't for hills here, I'd STILL be riding friction drive. I don't ride in wet weather, so FD would work for me.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Another quick update: I finished installing the rear caliper brakes. I wasn't sure it was going to fit properly, but after some careful measurements it appeared that it would (good ol' "measure twice cut once" rule). Held my breath and drilled the solitary hole that was required, installed the brake for a quick test and perfect! My plan is to keep the coaster brake as a back up, should have plenty of stopping power now!

Got a reply from Kent regarding the bent spoke and a few other (minor) issues with the bike. Their reply was to either take it to a bike shop for repairs (on my dime) or return it to Walmart for a refund. So much for their 1 year warranty, eh? Jeesh. Fortunately the issues aren't anything that I can't fix myself, but now I know just what kind of after sales support you get when you buy a cheap bike... nada. :p

Attachments

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Another quick update: I finished installing the rear caliper brakes. I wasn't sure it was going to fit properly, but after some careful measurements it appeared that it would (good ol' "measure twice cut once" rule). Held my breath and drilled the solitary hole that was required, installed the brake for a quick test and perfect! My plan is to keep the coaster brake as a back up, should have plenty of stopping power now!

Got a reply from Kent regarding the bent spoke and a few other (minor) issues with the bike. Their reply was to either take it to a bike shop for repairs (on my dime) or return it to Walmart for a refund. So much for their 1 year warranty, eh? Jeesh. Fortunately the issues aren't anything that I can't fix myself, but now I know just what kind of after sales support you get when you buy a cheap bike... nada. :p
I bought a Huffy Cranbrook from Walmart, had a warped rim, and HUFFY REPLACED THE RIM, NO PROBLEM.

IMHO, You should complain nicely to the Kent customer service manager and get yourself a new rim.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I bought a Huffy Cranbrook from Walmart, had a warped rim, and HUFFY REPLACED THE RIM, NO PROBLEM.

IMHO, You should complain nicely to the Kent customer service manager and get yourself a new rim.
Yup, I did all that, sent them photos in an email and then followed up with a polite phone call. The problem is that they DON'T STOCK REPAIR PARTS. So if you have an issue before the 90 days are up, they just tell you to return it to Walmart (and then wait for a replacement bike which might have an equal number of issues or get an immediate refund). I'm guessing that if a warranty claim is made after the Walmart 90 day return policy, they then ship you a new bike (probably only after you ship them the defective bike). I don't know this for sure, obviously, as I won't find out for another 80 or so days. Huffy's been around a long time, not sure about Kent International. It's kind of disconcerting to know that the manufacturer doesn't stock any repair parts. I may call them again later today to see if I can dig into this a bit further. I don't want to run into an issue after the 90th day only to find out I have to pay a couple hundred $$ to ship the bike back for repairs. :(

Edit: Picked up a spoke wrench and went about the task of truing up the wheels. About half the spokes in the front wheel were so loose they were hardly supporting the rim at all. Got that all sorted and even managed to straighten the bent spoke. Everything looks much better now. :)

Last edited:

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
One more gripe about the bike after an hour long ride, the seat doesn't have any springs! Although the seat has a nice, cushy foam, top, there aren't any springs at all. When I first looked at it, I saw a plastic baffle which I thought covered the springs. To my poor butt's dismay, those baffles are solid plastic. Felt like I was sitting on a cinder block by the end of the ride. Add another $30 to the build's cost for a decent seat. :(

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
When I start a new build the very first thing I buy is a nice wide springy seat (hopefuly with gel) THEN I find a bike to go with it lol.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Just thought Id share may latest FD. This one is the best, was an easy build too! If you are interested, the details are in DYI. Going to try to get a vid up.

Attachments