first bike builds and some questions

GoldenMotor.com

TCBCustoms

Jul 20, 2008
Well I finally got a small old 1980s model solo leaf blower motor and stuffed it into a bike. But I wasnt happy with the outcome so I got a nice bmx bike from a friend and put it in that. Its friction drive and works flawlessly. Now Im trying to put a 26cc weed eater motor in a tiny kids bike. I have it all mounted up and secure, along with the 5/8 spindle. I dont know if this will work, but if anyone thinks it will let me know before I get to carried away! sorry the pics arent that great, there just off my phone. (^)

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Welcome

I don't see any reason it won't work just fine. How do you plan to start the engine. It is going to be drag start. Do you have a kill switch and throttle.

TCBCustoms

Jul 20, 2008
My leaf blower bike has a very nice round slide carb that came with a long cable, so I just had to hook it up to a old brake lever and use it like a thumb throttle. The weed eater motor dosent have a throttle on it yet. Im just working on getting it mounted sturdy and finding out whats wrong with the carb. Im guessing its just clogged. Ive been wondering though, does the size of the tire matter? I always though of it light sprockets, the smaller the rear the more power? Is this true in this case?

and yes the weed eater has a pbno kill switch that will be hooked up once I rewire it. The leaf blower however does not. I really dont even remember how it was when I got it, but theres only 1 wire on the whole thing and thats going from the magneto? hm

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The one single wire if you touch it to the frame will probably ground the plug out.

We have been discussing the motor with no throttle and it will probably work fine. i would try that kill switch cause the bike might want to keep going even with the brakes on.

the larger the drive wheel the more speed you get but the less pickup so they say. You will get more drive wheel skip with a larger drive wheel. It is a balancing act. Your bikes should do fine.

The last engine I got I emptied the gas tank, removed the spark plug, sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner into the gas tank and pulled the starter with the plug out. I did that for about ten times. Then I put some alcohol in the gas tank and used it to rinse out the tank. Then a couple of ounces of gas to rinse the tank again. It started just fine after that. I know the guy before me couldn;t get it started so I know it worked. I have no idea it would work for you or not.

The tire size should not matter if the drive wheel moves a twenty inch tire a foot or a 26 inch tire a foot it is still a foot. it is the size of the drive wheel that matters I'm pretty sure. It would matter with a chain and sprocket on the wheel though.

Last edited:

TCBCustoms

Jul 20, 2008
thanks for the info guys! I welded a couple more supports on for the leaf blower motor but now im working on the weed eater bike mostly. I dont understand whats wrong with it. I cleaned the carb and put it in the pullstart case and it started up fine, and could idle forever. but as soon as I mounted it on the bike it would not start at all? what gives?:(

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Do you still have the pull start on it. I junked two 31cc motors because they wouldn't start on the bike. Now I find that it is very very very hard to drag start a 31cc. Both of those motors were probably just fine. Live and learn I guess.

If you don't have a way to lift them off the wheel to start, you might give it some thought. I don't have a way to use the recoil starter so I lift the engine and use a rope on the drive wheel to get up enough speed to start it. It works pretty well.

Since my chainsaw is a full shaft I was able to keep that pull starter and it looks like I will be able to on my leaf blower that just came in as well,

If you still have your pull starter on the engine, check the plug for gas. I assume you did clean the tank out good after you cleaned the carb. If the plug isn't wet a new filter might be in order.

If the plug is wet it could be the spark or an air intake issue. It pretty much has to be one of those,

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the fourm. I really like that little bike. I need to put something like that on my grandsons bike. His mom would kill me...................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have a 13 year old granddaughter I want to put on a motor bike so bad it drives me nuts. My son in law (her father) would kill me if she got her knee scraped let along run over by a truck

TCBCustoms

Jul 20, 2008
Deacon, no the pullstarter is not on the bike while its mounted. Its on the same side as the shaft as most weed eaters. i just removed the engine and held it in the green plastic casing and it fired right up. Yes I also cleaned the carb and tank out with carb cleaner and kerosene. I think it may have something to do with resistance causing the small motor to not be able to fire when under load. But I did adjust the idle all the way up and gave it some throttle and it did start and turn the tire over. But ive seen lots of weed eater bikes and they seem to do good. The thing is when you push it fast, you can see the blue smoke coming out of the muffler so I know its getting fuel. Ill mess around with it some more tonight and post the results. Thanks for all the help everyone gave, I really appreciate it :ride:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yeah I had that problem. What you need is more speed to start it. Mine started one time drag but it was warmed up first. I started it with a pull rope over the drive wheel. You might want to as least do that. Make a way to lift the motor to rope start it then when its warm tie it back down and ride it like you stole it. It should start then

I bet the motor is over 30cc. The smaller ones will drag start less compression i guess

Last edited:

TCBCustoms

Jul 20, 2008
You were right deacon, it just needed more speed. I though just dragging it with my hands was enough but I put 2 pegs in the pedal cups and it started right up. It is only a 22cc motor thats literally brand new and it moved me fine and I weigh 150 lbs! (^) im sure a little kid would have a blast on this thing. Now i just need to rig up a throttle cable and it will be good to go. How do you guys mod the cables on these carbs?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You were right deacon, it just needed more speed. I though just dragging it with my hands was enough but I put 2 pegs in the pedal cups and it started right up. It is only a 22cc motor thats literally brand new and it moved me fine and I weigh 150 lbs! (^) im sure a little kid would have a blast on this thing. Now i just need to rig up a throttle cable and it will be good to go. How do you guys mod the cables on these carbs?
Now if you still have the cable from the trigger attached do it this way for ease

Run a bike brake cable near it then get a bolt nut and three washers. Get your lengths right. it will take some adjustments. Hook the two ends together then attach a spring to it. The spring is pull the bike cable back after you use it to pull the carb cable. The built in spring is not strong enough to pull the brake cable.

You can use a brake lever for a throttle or a gear shifter really whatever you have will work. You do have to have that spring though to make it work.

that is the easiest way I know.